Pres Café
TV Social Media Pres Gold - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: TV Social Media Pres Gold (/showthread.php?tid=19)

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Milkshake - 12-07-2023

Yes that is the thing, I'm on about. It would be a surprise if those were wrong aswell.

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Steve in Pudsey - 12-07-2023

The paperwork presumably referred to the correct tape, but the timings from that didn't correspond from the rogue one that went out.

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Stooky Bill - 14-07-2023

https://twitter.com/Rob_Lubbock/status/1679603769938440198?t=dzah41fFDYNlJosFEn-iLQ&s=19 

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Bluecortina - 14-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 03:07 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Makes me wonder how it wasn't spotted, the fact it wasn't suggests to me that the programme was complete on the tape, just with an outtake left in. Possibly no one actually watched the whole thing through until it went to air like that?

I know in those days VT machines and edit suites were limited resources so it wasn't as easy as now to watch a programme through. Probably one for Bluecortina... what sort of QC or tech review process did programmes go through back then?

One other thing to point out is that the slide for the next programme is a Yorkshire slide for a Yorkshire programme, I assumed that the companies made up their own

Apologies for the late response although I'm afraid I can't really add anything to this. From memory completed programmes were signed off by the producer/director and editor. Viewing what we have here of the original transmission it would seem a simple case of the wrong tape information being supplied and promulgated through the 'system' or a simple mix up or swapping of tapes at some stage. The VT area itself would only have been supplied with the supposed tx copy on the morning of transmission and I can't think of any reason the original studio tape would have been in the area (apart from having inadvertently being put out as a result of a paperwork mixup or inadvertent tape swap). This would have been a fairly simple studio recording and edited in a day some time later in one of the edit suites - then most likely sent off for a sound dub so at what stage it was signed off as a complete tx copy I could not guess. No doubt a complete TX copy did exist - but where was it?

Not sure I understand your last point? As I see it the slide was not branded as a Yorkshire slide and almost certainly a local LWT slide. Even though it has no LWT branding on it, all the transmission areas I worked in had cover slides or captions locally available for all programmes due for transmission and they were supplied at the beginning of each day or weekend.

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Steve in Pudsey - 14-07-2023

The slide is in Yorkshire's house style, just lacking the chevron. No doubt that it was being tranmitted by LWT, but it was surprising that Yorkshire didn't just send the image and let other stations put the programme title and any branding on in their own style

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - nwtv2003 - 14-07-2023

I’m sure it was a normal thing that regions supplied other regions with programme slides in their house style without the station branding on it. However, from what I’ve seen on YouTube they were more common on the smaller stations than on the likes of LWT.

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Former Member 443 - 14-07-2023

Could it have been the case that the slide was networked? I agree that it's unusual for a big five company to be using someone else's unbranded slide normally.

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Bluecortina - 14-07-2023

Thinking on this further at another ITV station I worked at, transmission tapes would be delivered to the VT area in the morning and each tape was giving a clock/production check at the start of the tape and then given a ‘spin timing’ from part to part to double check the part timings were correct. I suppose this practice would help to eliminate potential cock ups, but, hey ho and all that. I’m not suggesting this was a universal practice across ITV.

(14-07-2023, 02:13 PM)Former Member 443 Wrote:  Could it have been the case that the slide was networked? I agree that it's unusual for a big five company to be using someone else's unbranded slide normally.

Networked? I do not understand your question I’m afraid.

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Former Member 443 - 14-07-2023

(14-07-2023, 09:41 PM)Bluecortina Wrote:  Networked? I do not understand your question I’m afraid.

As in, having realised (and covered) the mistake, was the slide for the following YTV drama not only aired on LWT but was put out on the network, complete with Lewis's announcement? It would explain the lack of branding (one of the questions asked earlier). The hastily put up production slide I'd have thought would have certainly gone to network.

This might have helped out other TCs who would then not have to cover themselves.

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Bluecortina - 15-07-2023

(14-07-2023, 09:53 PM)Former Member 443 Wrote:  As in, having realised (and covered) the mistake, was the slide for the following YTV drama not only aired on LWT but was put out on the network, complete with Lewis's announcement? It would explain the lack of branding (one of the questions asked earlier). The hastily put up production slide I'd have thought would have certainly gone to network.

This might have helped out other TCs who would then not have to cover themselves.

I do not think the covering slide would have been put out to network by LWT, it was the responsibility of each individual company to cover for faults/errors/cock ups. To transmit the production slide to network would have required the network switcher at LWT to switch from the VT to another source (slide) and that was not their function. So where did it come from? Could have come from a local slide source, could have been on the tape already and by fluke came up, let’s face it, judging by what we see anything could have occurred. It was not at all unusual for all elements of a studio recorded programme to be laid onto the studio record tape during the studio recording and not always in the required final sequence.