Pres Café
TV Social Media Pres Gold - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: TV Social Media Pres Gold (/showthread.php?tid=19)

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - agemame - 05-03-2024

He uploaded that same episode of Saturday Banana, IIRC - but in a lower quality (VHS runoff, possibly)? Nic certainly knows the archive as he has been involved in researching the necessary clearances for e.g. the Old School Weekend on CITV.

I did wonder if it was a bit of a stalking horse situation - if anyone is going to stand up and prove ownership of this, they'll have to do so through legal channels which may then provide a line of enquiry.

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Stooky Bill - 05-03-2024

(05-03-2024, 11:44 AM)lookoutwales Wrote:  You'll notice there's a news bulletin for the South East - there were usually separate bulletins for the South and South East on Mondays to Thursdays, both coming from the Northam studios.

The SE bulletin was usually pre-recorded while the South bulletin was live, though it appears to be the reverse here. Scene South East on Fridays also included a pre-recorded bulletin from Northam.
That one could well have been recorded too, certainly Sarah's look to the right when she introduces it looks a bit odd. The wide shot at the beginning is framed so to hide the 'South' or ' South East'

Regional news magazines from that era are a whole different world to what we're used to today. Can you imagine a presenter of Meridian Tonight opening the programme talking about their holiday and sun tan? Smile

(05-03-2024, 02:11 PM)agemame Wrote:  He uploaded that same episode of Saturday Banana, IIRC - but in a lower quality (VHS runoff, possibly)? Nic certainly knows the archive as he has been involved in researching the necessary clearances for e.g. the Old School Weekend on CITV.

I did wonder if it was a bit of a stalking horse situation - if anyone is going to stand up and prove ownership of this, they'll have to do so through legal channels which may then provide a line of enquiry.
Although my understanding is that, like in a lot of the franchise changes, the regional news archive was sold/transferred on to the successor. So the ownership of Day by Day might not be that contentious, assuming it was episodes and not just stock shots, packages etc

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - James2001 - 05-03-2024

I think that transfer to the successor might have included sport and some regional stuff too, as we've had at least one TVS football show shown as part of the Big Match revisited.

Though I don't think news going to the successor happened with all regions, as Fremantle clearly still hold the Thames news archives (and post up loads of material from it), and I think some other regions have theirs in regional archives- I think TSW and Westward's is with such an archive?

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - i.h - 05-03-2024

TSW/Westward's archives went to the South West Film and Television Archive, which is now part of "The Box"

https://www.theboxplymouth.com/collections/moving-image 

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Stooky Bill - 05-03-2024

(05-03-2024, 03:57 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I think that transfer to the successor might have included sport and some regional stuff too, as we've had at least one TVS football show shown as part of the Big Match revisited.

Though I don't think news going to the successor happened with all regions, as Fremantle clearly still hold the Thames news archives (and post up loads of material from it), and I think some other regions have theirs in regional archives- I think TSW and Westward's is with such an archive?
Yes, they are the two exceptions.

A lot of regional news archive has since gone to regional film and television archives

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Bluecortina - 05-03-2024

(05-03-2024, 03:36 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  That one could well have been recorded too, certainly Sarah's look to the right when she introduces it looks a bit odd. The wide shot at the beginning is framed so to hide the 'South' or ' South East'

Regional news magazines from that era are a whole different world to what we're used to today. Can you imagine a presenter of Meridian Tonight opening the programme talking about their holiday and sun tan? Smile

Although my understanding is that, like in a lot of the franchise changes, the regional news archive was sold/transferred on to the successor. So the ownership of Day by Day might not be that contentious, assuming it was episodes and not just stock shots, packages etc

The recorded bulletin was generally recorded about 20 mins before tx time. In the latter days recorded direct to the ACR rather than a VTR machine. The recorded bulletin was 'cut to' in presentation by rolling the ACR and cutting at the appropriate moment into the outgoing tx feed.

Sarah having introduced the local news in the studio, the studio vision mixer is then waiting for presentation to cut the ACR to air looking at a gallery monitor before momentarily cutting later to the 'other' local news reader in the studio. Generally worked fine but being manual I suppose it could look like a bit of a pregnant pause at times.

Nice shot of the somewhat unique Richmond Hill vision mixer in the opening titles, never saw another one of that make anywhere else.

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Steve in Pudsey - 05-03-2024

(05-03-2024, 03:57 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I think that transfer to the successor might have included sport and some regional stuff too, as we've had at least one TVS football show shown as part of the Big Match revisited.

Sports rights tend to be different, at least nowadays you get the back catalogue along with the rights to the current season regardless of who was host broadcaster.

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Stooky Bill - 06-03-2024

(05-03-2024, 06:22 PM)Bluecortina Wrote:  The recorded bulletin was generally recorded about 20 mins before tx time. In the latter days recorded direct to the ACR rather than a VTR machine. The recorded bulletin was 'cut to' in presentation by rolling the ACR and cutting at the appropriate moment into the outgoing tx feed.

Sarah having introduced the local news in the studio, the studio vision mixer is then waiting for presentation to cut the ACR to air looking at a gallery monitor before momentarily cutting later to the 'other' local news reader in the studio. Generally worked fine but being manual I suppose it could look like a bit of a pregnant pause at times.
That's an elegant solution and simple way of doing it, it works really well. Presumably there was some sort of contingency in case the timings went a bit out? In this case it looks like the slightly longer pause at the start meant it ended quite tightly at the end. Could be the other way round of course if there was an issue with the live one

As has been said news splits and pre records are something people assume are new things, here it was 45 years ago

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Bluecortina - 06-03-2024

(06-03-2024, 07:36 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  That's an elegant solution and simple way of doing it, it works really well. Presumably there was some sort of contingency in case the timings went a bit out? In this case it looks like the slightly longer pause at the start meant it ended quite tightly at the end. Could be the other way round of course if there was an issue with the live one

As has been said news splits and pre records are something people assume are new things, here it was 45 years ago

When you think about it at the other end of the local news Pres had to wait until the studio had cut back to the studio presenter (Sarah) before they then cut back to the studio. I suppose if the recorded news was recorded about 20mins before tx then they would know the precise required final duration of the 'live version' and countdown to zero as per. It was a slick operation and the shuffling of papers at the end of a recorded insert is a very well worn path to soak up time. As ever interesting times to work in telly.

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Stooky Bill - 08-03-2024

Interesting charity shop find....
https://x.com/staceynwing/status/1766022957011276030?s=20