Pres Café
Doctor Who - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Doctor Who (/showthread.php?tid=191)

RE: Doctor Who - XIII - 11-10-2023

(10-10-2023, 04:47 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  This is a long time coming - as a licence fee payer, I feel this decision should have been made years ago - we pay for Doctor Who through the licence fee and BBC iPlayer should be packed full of archive shows, instead of them selling them to Amazon Prime, BritBox etc

I have noticed on BBC iPlayer, some shows have a date of when it expires to watch it on iPlayer - for example Hustle, a show I love last week said it only had 4 days left to enjoy it, but today all of the series are back as available for over a year - why then do they give us a countdown, when they probably know it will remain on iPlayer?

The BBC don't own all their content and I think expecting everything to be on iPlayer is frankly unrealistic.

RE: Doctor Who - JMT1985 - 11-10-2023

(11-10-2023, 03:32 PM)WhoOdyssey Wrote:  Well no, but it sounds to me that it won’t be every surviving episode either.

It will be what BritBox have now - so does anyone know, how many classic episodes are on BritBox as that is what is coming to iPlayer from November 1st 2023

(11-10-2023, 03:37 PM)XIII Wrote:  The BBC don't own all their content and I think expecting everything to be on iPlayer is frankly unrealistic.

Well I don't understand their countdown - as I said why with Hustle did they give us a countdown to when the show will it seems leave iPlayer, and then suddenly it is available for over a year now - what was the point of the countdown, as some Hustle fans speculated it was going to Netflix etc and were sad, as they enjoyed watching it on iPlayer, as UKTV Play has it but it is full of adverts.

RE: Doctor Who - XIII - 11-10-2023

(11-10-2023, 04:45 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Well I don't understand their countdown - as I said why with Hustle did they give us a countdown to when the show will it seems leave iPlayer, and then suddenly it is available for over a year now - what was the point of the countdown, as some Hustle fans speculated it was going to Netflix etc and were sad, as they enjoyed watching it on iPlayer, as UKTV Play has it but it is full of adverts.

You're complaining for the sake of complaining.

RE: Doctor Who - JMT1985 - 11-10-2023

(11-10-2023, 04:49 PM)XIII Wrote:  You're complaining for the sake of complaining.

Oh the irony of you saying that on here - the home of complaining - I am just asking something

RE: Doctor Who - RhysJR - 12-10-2023

The new theme tune has been released

https://x.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1712528794630717704?s=20 

The full Radio 2 concert is already available below:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001r92n 

RE: Doctor Who - Scrotnig - 12-10-2023

Far too orchestral and I notice we have the Murray Gold “counter-melody” back again.

RE: Doctor Who - Brekkie - 12-10-2023

(10-10-2023, 05:10 PM)Technologist Wrote:  Firstly who (no pun!) is to pay the rights for this?  as the standard BBC deal is for a number if airings (and the window on IPlayer that was allowable  at the time)
To pay those up front is a drain on the LF for everything not shown.
(The fact that with indies  there are few rights with the BBC has kept the  LF down as the BBC cannot buy them )
Secondly to have all this archive material on IPlayer  is a “gross abuse of market power “ with CC CMA OFCOM etc ..
an issue which has and still plagues the BBC generally and the whole history of IPlayer if not to say a dead Kangaroo…..  that is why IPlayer started of with a very short window….  While other non PSB catch up could do what they had the rights to,do. (Like all4)
Only few more people watch BBC1 than itv (1) so why is there itv+1 whist BBC ONE +1 is not allowed because of the effect on itv. (actually IMHO, it was a bad idea in any case but in part brought about by the effecient use uf the airwaves which no other broadcaster has imposed other than pure spectrum. (Ref David Mellor in 1990s when he tried to seek off BBC space))

Sadly have to agree.  Whilst it's nice to have such archive content available for free, and whilst there is likely a significant amount of content on the iPlayer that couldn't be monetised, this feels like a switch from something making money for the BBC to something that is now costing them money - at a time when money is tight.

RE: Doctor Who - JAS84 - 12-10-2023

(11-10-2023, 08:53 AM)WhoOdyssey Wrote:  I’m not convinced that it’ll be every episode of the classic series on there. The way that the  BBC press release describes it suggests that the “800 episodes of Doctor Who programming” includes Sarah Jane, Torchwood, Class & Confidential.

https://x.com/jonathon_carley/status/1711791283616849972?s=46 

There's 97 missing episodes. Let's do the maths shall we? There's 830 episodes total (classic and revival combined up to Power of the Doctor). Minus those missing 97 is 733. 

Sarah Jane Adventures is 53 episodes. Torchwood is 41 episodes. Class is eight episodes. Total of 102. Which makes 835.

So the "over 800" claim is accurate, with nothing missing that exists.

RE: Doctor Who - DTV - 12-10-2023

(12-10-2023, 08:21 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Sadly have to agree.  Whilst it's nice to have such archive content available for free, and whilst there is likely a significant amount of content on the iPlayer that couldn't be monetised, this feels like a switch from something making money for the BBC to something that is now costing them money - at a time when money is tight.
I guess the counter-argument would be that it will likely reach a wider audience on iPlayer, particularly in terms of opening up to younger viewers. A wider and younger audience opens up new merchandising opportunities, which, in turn, brings in more money. It's also not exclusively on iPlayer, so additional licensing money will continue.

Also, there are wider benefits to getting it on the BBC - it increases traffic to the BBC website, which can encourage viewers to watch other programmes. And in terms of the cost, Doctor Who has consistently been one of the most watched programmes on iPlayer, so, even with the accessibility costs, it's likely greater value for money than certain other programmes that get put up (I wonder how many people watch e.g. the 05:30 WBR, Breakfast or non-18:30 regional news programmes).

From what I understand, this also wasn't so much a wish from RTD, rather one of his demands for coming back (which supposedly also included the Confidential-style BtS programme and a return to a regular slot in the TV calender).

RE: Doctor Who - DTV - 12-10-2023

(12-10-2023, 07:31 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  Far too orchestral and I notice we have the Murray Gold “counter-melody” back again.
I would be surprised if that's the final mix - e.g., I know that previous Who concerts wanted to have Derbyshire elements played in, but weren't able to do that (for sound levels and timing reasons), so possible that that might have happened here too (a single starting screech is presumably easier to do). 

Based on the clip, it's definitely not my favourite version, but I guess it is in-keeping with the style of other big fantasy themes over the last decade. Personally, I found that Gold's first versions were the right mix of original elements and orchestra and, if you were updating it, feel something more in the Britell Succession modern classical vibe could work nicely, but I suspect they want a more bombastic, eventy theme for a new bombastic, eventy-era.