Pres Café
Doctor Who - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Doctor Who (/showthread.php?tid=191)

RE: Doctor Who - Scrotnig - 09-11-2023

They won’t.

This rumour does the rounds every so often.

Personally I’d love it, but I don’t see it being commercially viable or actually that desirable.

McGann is wonderful though.

RE: Doctor Who - JMT1985 - 09-11-2023

(09-11-2023, 12:03 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  They won’t.

This rumour does the rounds every so often.

Personally I’d love it, but I don’t see it being commercially viable or actually that desirable.

McGann is wonderful though.

RTD has talked about it, and remember we are now in a very different era of Who - there is a lot more money available to make spin offs, with Sony investment in Bad Wolf Productions and the Disney+ licensing money coming in - I can see a one off special with Paul McGann being made to test the waters - in fact they could go down the path of the 60th anniversary, have three specials with Paul, and see how viewers react.

RE: Doctor Who - Brekkie - 09-11-2023

Surely Paul being nearly 30 years older than when his film was name though makes it a non-starter.

RE: Doctor Who - Stuart - 09-11-2023

(09-11-2023, 11:10 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Surely Paul being nearly 30 years older than when his film was name though makes it a non-starter.
I think it's difficult enough for them to bring back David Tennant for the 60th anniversary, as he's already appeared again in the special with Matt Smith and John Hurt 10 years ago. McGann only appeared then as a link to the War Doctor character plot line.

David Tennant was certainly a very popular Doctor, but coming back over and over again makes me wonder why he bothered leaving in the first place.
(PS: the tartan pants look silly) Dodgy

RE: Doctor Who - IanJRedman - 10-11-2023

(09-11-2023, 11:10 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Surely Paul being nearly 30 years older than when his film was name though makes it a non-starter.

I'd argue he's probably the only 'classic' Doctor who could still realistically lead a series. He looks great in the costume (as seen in his cameo in the most recent episode last year) and his Doctor has canonically aged by the time he regenerates - so the distance from the original movie doesn't matter.

RE: Doctor Who - XIII - 10-11-2023

I think a Torchwood type series would be better or perhaps bring back a companion who could lead their own series. A regenerated Romana for example could be introduced in Doctor Who then spun-off into her own series.

RE: Doctor Who - Kim Wexler’s Ponytail - 10-11-2023

(09-11-2023, 10:48 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  RTD has talked about it, and remember we are now in a very different era of Who - there is a lot more money available to make spin offs, with Sony investment in Bad Wolf Productions and the Disney+ licensing money coming in

None of that 90 gazillion dollar investment from Disney & Sony went towards 'Tales from the Tardis' that's for sure. People haven’t half overblown this Disney/Sony thing. There isn't ''a lot more money'', there's a bit more money (RTD'S words). Because of the soaring costs of making TV drama, more money was needed just to keep making the show to the technical standard they were already making it. Whatever extra cash they do have probably isn't going to stretch as far as the hopelessly deluded fandom seems to think it will.

RE: Doctor Who - XIII - 10-11-2023

(10-11-2023, 12:26 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  None of that 90 gazillion dollar investment from Disney & Sony went towards 'Tales from the Tardis' that's for sure. People haven’t half overblown this Disney/Sony thing. There isn't ''a lot more money'', there's a bit more money (RTD'S words). Because of the soaring costs of making TV drama, more money was needed just to keep making the show to the technical standard they were already making it. Whatever extra cash they do have probably isn't going to stretch as far as the hopelessly deluded fandom seems to think it will.

People seem to forget how much drama costs and DW is super expensive. It's always had some outside funding, in the first series it was CBC and later series got BBC America funding.

RE: Doctor Who - tellyblues - 10-11-2023

(10-11-2023, 12:26 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  None of that 90 gazillion dollar investment from Disney & Sony went towards 'Tales from the Tardis' that's for sure. People haven’t half overblown this Disney/Sony thing. There isn't ''a lot more money'', there's a bit more money (RTD'S words). Because of the soaring costs of making TV drama, more money was needed just to keep making the show to the technical standard they were already making it. Whatever extra cash they do have probably isn't going to stretch as far as the hopelessly deluded fandom seems to think it will.

Seriously? What's deluded is some people's obsessive and overly optimistic attitudes towards certain people working in the industry.

RE: Doctor Who - RhysJR - 10-11-2023

Actress Nicola Coughlan will be in the 2024 Christmas special

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/nicola-coughlan-doctor-who-christmas-2024-newsupdate/ 

And what major show anniversary wouldn't be complete without a Channel 5 talking heads doccumentary...

https://www.tvzoneuk.com/post/drwho-c5secrets-ann1