Pres Café
Doctor Who - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Doctor Who (/showthread.php?tid=191)

RE: Doctor Who - Kim Wexler’s Ponytail - 25-11-2023

Yeah, I liked the idea but the last one looked better on paper then it did on screen. The crystal pillars needed to be further apart for it to work. I didn't really like 11/12's as much as everyone else seemed to; it felt a bit generic sci fi spaceship to me. It looked more ''classic who'' but I personally prefer the grungy steam-punk aesthetic of 9/10's console room and even the whimsy of 11's first.

RE: Doctor Who - UTVLifer - 25-11-2023

As the promo tour for the specials continues, Catherine Tate will be on Sunday with LK tomorrow as well as tonight's Newscast

https://x.com/bbclaurak/status/1728450515514606041?s=46&t=uYc2nILLUU7TByduAbmbxg 

RE: Doctor Who - RhysJR - 25-11-2023

(25-11-2023, 05:33 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  As the promo tour for the specials continues, Catherine Tate will be on Sunday with LK tomorrow as well as tonight's Newscast

https://x.com/bbclaurak/status/1728450515514606041?s=46&t=uYc2nILLUU7TByduAbmbxg 

The only RTD 1 main companion not to meet a Prime Minister, wrong booking for a politics show  Big Grin

RE: Doctor Who - JMT1985 - 25-11-2023

I wonder if the new TARDIS will have a balcony, which 11 and 12 had with theirs? Always liked the idea of the balcony, makes it feel even more roomier.

The lighting scheme will be interesting

RE: Doctor Who - James2001 - 25-11-2023

(24-11-2023, 01:00 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Someone with a better memory of tbe original edit could verify this, but I saw some suggestions that there were a few edits to remove action from An Unearthly Child due to the Coburn tantrum. 

Not sure how accurate that is, but the best way to uphold your father's legacy is to have it airbrushed from history.
The man really is petulant, I wish the BBC could just tell him to do one.

RE: Doctor Who - Flux - 26-11-2023

So it’s back. Last night felt like a big reset after the show’s last era - both in content, tone and presentation. Lovely new title sequence, in the vein of Eccleston/Tennant and Smith’s early series, though I do think it does lack a bit of punch in comparison to the series 1-4/5 openers. Smiths original titles especially had a real violent, erratic pace to them which always built excitement.

The new TARDIS interior is largely as rumoured, and again such a step up from the junk room in the last era. Great to see so many different levels, and the scale of it really gives the show a worthy central base. Lighting already seems very versatile too, so I can imagine it being adapted to suit the mood and tone of individual stories in a way that hasn’t been possible on this scale before.

The episode itself was good IMO. Not the best, but certainly a return to form and a strong reset which immediately made me appreciate how much the show had faded under the previous regime. I’d tried to stay positive about the last era, but The Star Beast showed it all up with a perfect example of what the show should be and made me glad to have the show I love back after drifting away from it since Capaldi’s exit.

RE: Doctor Who - South - 26-11-2023

I totally agree that the opening titles seem to be missing something, however part of me thinks that maybe resolved when Ncuti starts at Christmas.

The Disney money certainly shows in the production, that TARDIS set is magnificent, a lovely blend of old and new and looks incredibly expensive. That said some of the alien costumes retain the traditional Doctor Who look, which is great to see.

The story was far easier to follow than recent series, which is great as that will hopefully attract some back who found the recent story telling too complex, with too many things happening.

RE: Doctor Who - DTV - 26-11-2023

(26-11-2023, 09:04 AM)Flux Wrote:  The new TARDIS interior is largely as rumoured, and again such a step up from the junk room in the last era. Great to see so many different levels, and the scale of it really gives the show a worthy central base. Lighting already seems very versatile too, so I can imagine it being adapted to suit the mood and tone of individual stories in a way that hasn’t been possible on this scale before.
It's certainly better than the 'crystal cave', but I can't say I'm sold on it in the same way a lot of people seem to be. It's a large space, but also feels a bit empty (in a way that the Capaldi-era set didn't, even if not quite as big). While the return of the 'round things' is welcomed, the fact they are not in the distinctive honeycomb pattern makes things look a bit too generic spaceship.

RE: Doctor Who - James2001 - 26-11-2023

First episode with Disney involved and we have a character that's virtually Baby Yoda Tongue

RE: Doctor Who - CATV - 26-11-2023

A reminder these specials were made before Disney deal was done. This is not Disney money but an investment of BBC Studios at this point.