Pres Café
Doctor Who - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Doctor Who (/showthread.php?tid=191)

RE: Doctor Who - Flux - 26-11-2023

(26-11-2023, 04:30 PM)CATV Wrote:  A reminder these specials were made before Disney deal was done.  This is not Disney money but an investment of BBC Studios at this point.

… and also that Beep the Meep predates Yoda by around 3 months, with both making their debuts in 1980.

Personally, I don’t see the Yoda comparison at all. ET influence in the way it played out, maybe, but Beep and Yoda just don’t strike me as similar in appearance or personality.

RE: Doctor Who - XIII - 26-11-2023

Beep the Meep is nothing like Yoda or ET, a better comparison is the Mogwai from Gremlins.

RE: Doctor Who - JMT1985 - 26-11-2023

Please also remember, these are the three 60th anniversary specials - so we could possibly see a change to the opening titles for when Ncuti takes over fully on Christmas Day 2023 with the possibility of a few tweaks to the TARDIS interior possibly.

Remember filming for the 60th took place between May and July 2022, with Ncuti filming his Christmas 2023 special in December 2022 so a big gap, where tweaks could be made if they wanted to.

RE: Doctor Who - James2001 - 26-11-2023

(26-11-2023, 05:32 PM)Flux Wrote:  … and also that Beep the Meep predates Yoda by around 3 months, with both making their debuts in 1980.

Personally, I don’t see the Yoda comparison at all. ET influence in the way it played out, maybe, but Beep and Yoda just don’t strike me as similar in appearance or personality.

Though I was thinking of Baby Yoda/The Child/Grogu from The Mandalorian rather than the Yoda from the films!

RE: Doctor Who - Blubatt - 26-11-2023

While it certainly isn't 'the best ever episode' of the show, it feels like a return to the Series 3/4, in terms of quality. Will probably never get over seeing Disney on the production credit. The actual presentation of the show doesn't feel like as big a jump to me though. For all its flaws, Whittaker's series were visually the best that the show has had since its return, so it just feels like a slightly more dressed up version of that.

I don't like the new theme music, mind. It feels like the opening titles rush it at the end, and the logo form up wasn't for me. However, its the episode we care about, and I loved it. I feel like I am 10 again, in a good way. I think this will have brought in casual viewers. My Mum, who hasn't watched it since David Tennant left, actually watched it with me. I expect that the viewing figures for last night will be quite handsome.

RE: Doctor Who - Stuart - 26-11-2023

(26-11-2023, 07:56 PM)XIII Wrote:  Beep the Meep is nothing like Yoda or ET, a  better comparison is the Mogwai from Gremlins.
I thought exactly the same. All the way through I was thinking "don't let it get near any water" Big Grin

RE: Doctor Who - Keith - 26-11-2023

Reading reports that last night's episode averaged over 5m, with a peak around 6m viewers. Apparently up quite a bit on Jodie's final episode. Hopefully someone more in the know has the exact numbers and audience share info.

RE: Doctor Who - Stooky Bill - 27-11-2023

(26-11-2023, 09:25 PM)TheGregmeister Wrote:  We all know Rose Noble was the trans-gender character, but it's suggested The Meep was also trans-gender. It's an alien in a sci-fi show FFS ... who cares what gender it is?!?

FWIW ... Benjamin Butterworth got it right when he said it's basically a daft sci-fi show that some people are taking too seriously! The other guest lost the argument as soon as he insisted "Doctor Who is a children's show." Ermm, no it isn't. if it was a children's show it'd be on CBBC not BBC One! 
It is a daft sci-fi show that some people take too seriously...  thats the same with most sci-fi but Dr Who fans in particular have a reputation for that. 

Originally it was a children's show, but for most of its life it was shown in the family viewing slot - after Grandstand, before the Saturday night LE shows (along with Jim'll Fix It). It's always had to be watchable by older children and, as shown on the Channel 5 documentary the other night they've often had to tone it down for kids. 

It's a family show, but watched by kids.... both actual kids and big kids  Big Grin

RE: Doctor Who - Roger Darthwell - 27-11-2023

BTW Now that the Channel 5 documentary was mentioned, I have to say that at the end they mentioned Ncuti Gatwa as the Fourteenth Doctor, so presumably the documentary was filmed before it was revealed that Ncuti is actually the Fifteenth Doctor

RE: Doctor Who - JAS84 - 27-11-2023

That means it's been in the can for 13 months at least - i.e. before Power of the Doctor aired. The regeneration also served as the official announcement that he was 14, rather than a reprise of 10 (they'd already had to announce he was back because of outdoor filming).