Pres Café
Doctor Who - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Doctor Who (/showthread.php?tid=191)

RE: Doctor Who - Stooky Bill - 27-11-2023

(27-11-2023, 12:03 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  BTW Now that the Channel 5 documentary was mentioned, I have to say that at the end they mentioned Ncuti Gatwa as the Fourteenth Doctor, so presumably the documentary was filmed before it was revealed that Ncuti is actually the Fifteenth Doctor
Possibly, although I got the feeling it was for the general audience rather than the fans. I'm not a viewer of the programme but I thought the documentary was interesting 

He is the 14th person to play the character, the technicality that he's the 15th Dr Who is part of the plot. A lot of people won't realise that, I didn't

RE: Doctor Who - MWill - 27-11-2023

(26-11-2023, 10:34 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  While it certainly isn't 'the best ever episode' of the show, it feels like a return to the Series 3/4, in terms of quality. Will probably never get over seeing Disney on the production credit. The actual presentation of the show doesn't feel like as big a jump to me though. For all its flaws, Whittaker's series were visually the best that the show has had since its return, so it just feels like a slightly more dressed up version of that.

I don't like the new theme music, mind. It feels like the opening titles rush it at the end, and the logo form up wasn't for me. However, its the episode we care about, and I loved it. I feel like I am 10 again, in a good way. I think this will have brought in casual viewers. My Mum, who hasn't watched it since David Tennant left, actually watched it with me. I expect that the viewing figures for last night will be quite handsome.

Previous Whittaker stories have been (maybe?) upscaled to UHD but am I right in thinking these are the first shows shot in UHD?

RE: Doctor Who - James2001 - 27-11-2023

(27-11-2023, 11:26 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  It is a daft sci-fi show that some people take too seriously...  thats the same with most sci-fi but Dr Who fans in particular have a reputation for that. 

Originally it was a children's show, but for most of its life it was shown in the family viewing slot - after Grandstand, before the Saturday night LE shows (along with Jim'll Fix It). It's always had to be watchable by older children and, as shown on the Channel 5 documentary the other night they've often had to tone it down for kids. 

It's a family show, but watched by kids.... both actual kids and big kids  Big Grin

But even if it was a kids show, I think it's been repeatedly shown that younger people have little issue with accepting or understanding LGBTQ characters. It's the adults who cry foul.

RE: Doctor Who - Kim Wexler’s Ponytail - 27-11-2023

(26-11-2023, 11:35 PM)Keith Wrote:  Reading reports that last night's episode averaged over 5m, with a peak around 6m viewers. Apparently up quite a bit on Jodie's final episode.

Considering the hype I was expecting around 7/8m for the first ep tbh. 5m still somehow feels a bit underwhelming for what has been a hugely hyped event. 60th + Tennant + RTD!? 5m is obviously a huge improvement on last year but still, we are not quite back to 00’s blockbuster status yet. Not with linear overnights anyway.

RE: Doctor Who - JMT1985 - 27-11-2023

(27-11-2023, 06:15 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  Considering the hype I was expecting around 7/8m for the first ep tbh. 5m still somehow feels a bit underwhelming for what has been a hugely hyped event. 60th + Tennant + RTD!? 5m is obviously a huge improvement on last year but still, we are not quite back to 00’s blockbuster status yet. Not with linear overnights anyway.

This is the new TV world we live in - overnight views mean jack ... it is the seven day consolidated figure which is where we need to look at. 

People do not watch linear TV much now - that era is long gone, in fact it was starting to die under the 11th doctor's tenure.

RE: Doctor Who - IanJRedman - 27-11-2023

(27-11-2023, 02:21 PM)MWill Wrote:  Previous Whittaker stories have been (maybe?) upscaled to UHD but am I right in thinking these are the first shows shot in UHD?

There are two Whittaker episodes available on iPlayer in UHD: Revolution of the Daleks, and The Power of the Doctor. Whether those were shot in UHD or upscaled, I can't say for sure, but I was under the impression the BBC don't "do" upscaled UHD?

For these new episodes though, there is absolutely no question that they're shot in native UHD: you can see it on the filming monitors in the backstage stuff.

It's a bugbear for me though, that they aren't releasing the UHD versions of these specials until immediately after the episode has screened on BBC One in HD. I assume it's because if they wanted to make the episode available in UHD "live", they'd have to release the entire episode upfront on iPlayer, which would make it possible for people to jump ahead of the live broadcast... But it's unnecessarily compromising the experience for UHD viewers, as it means you have to choose between watching live in HD SDR, or waiting for the UHD HDR version and watching behind everyone else...

Differences in credits between the BBC and Disney+ versions:

https://twitter.com/Legopolis/status/1729198814249238761 

RE: Doctor Who - Brekkie - 27-11-2023

Different guidelines to meet I guess but quite surprised it's the BBC, not Disney+, that has the Executive Producer credits at the beginning as that is something I'd associate more with US than UK drama.

The one I couldn't figure out is why Bad Wolf and BBC Studios have switched places, that seems very random...

RE: Doctor Who - Stooky Bill - 28-11-2023

(27-11-2023, 02:49 PM)James2001 Wrote:  But even if it was a kids show, I think it's been repeatedly shown that younger people have little issue with accepting or understanding LGBTQ characters. It's the adults who cry foul.
Indeed, the present generation of teenagers' attitude, understanding and acceptance of gender and sexuality is an absolute world away from when I was at school. 

It's a generational thing, and I think the number of 'adults' that have a problem with such things is very small. Those crying foul in the media are doing it for their own ends.