Pres Café
Doctor Who - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Doctor Who (/showthread.php?tid=191)

RE: Doctor Who - JAS84 - 03-12-2023

Apparently there was more in the script, but that scene is all he got filmed before he died. Sad

RE: Doctor Who - Stuart - 03-12-2023

I am so pleased that they included the tribute to Bernard Cribbins in the end credit sequence.

He was a remarkable character actor who seemed to have turned his hand to just about anything during his long career.

RE: Doctor Who - Scrotnig - 03-12-2023

(03-12-2023, 01:14 AM)JAS84 Wrote:  Apparently there was more in the script, but that scene is all he got filmed before he died. Sad
I’m just delighted they got the footage they did.

There’s no greater tribute to him than that marvellous scene. And, a 93 year old in a wheelchair, acting until the very end of his life in a prime time BBC One show. He was even at the readthroughs, there’s footage in Doctor Who unleashed. The man was an absolute star. And all hail the great RTD for making this happen.

RE: Doctor Who - Stuart - 03-12-2023

(03-12-2023, 12:42 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  There’s no greater tribute to him than that marvellous scene. And, a 93 year old in a wheelchair, acting until the very end of his life in a prime time BBC One show. He was even at the readthroughs, there’s footage in Doctor Who unleashed. The man was an absolute star. And all hail the great RTD for making this happen.
In unleashed we saw him standing up, so I think the wheelchair was just a prop to fit the narrative of him having been moved to a care home.

(03-12-2023, 01:28 PM)Stuart Wrote:  In unleashed we saw him standing up, so I think the wheelchair was just a prop to fit the narrative of him having been moved to a care home.
That’s a good point. Maybe he couldn’t stand for long enough for the filming (that short scene probably took all day to film).

RE: Doctor Who - JMT1985 - 03-12-2023

I have heard some ask if this all we will see of Wilf? In fact I am sure in the trailer for the specials we saw a moment where Donna is looking over at The Celestial Toymaker and I am sure we caught a glimpse of Wilf's head below, seems Donna is pushing him in his chair, so I hope we get to see him in The Giggle.

(03-12-2023, 07:09 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  I have heard some ask if this all we will see of Wilf? In fact I am sure in the trailer for the specials we saw a moment where Donna is looking over at The Celestial Toymaker and I am sure we caught a glimpse of Wilf's head below, seems Donna is pushing him in his chair, so I hope we get to see him in The Giggle.
RTD said in Unleashed that that was all he was well enough to film.

RE: Doctor Who - JMT1985 - 03-12-2023

(03-12-2023, 08:13 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  RTD said in Unleashed that that was all he was well enough to film.
Go and check the 60th trailer - there is a moment where Donna is looking over at NPH as the toy maker in top hat and tails, and people have said it looks like Wilf is below her in his wheelchair, so maybe he is there in the opening scene, which would be correct of RTD, that scene is the only time he recorded, but it carries over into the opening moments of the third special

RE: Doctor Who - UTVLifer - 03-12-2023

(03-12-2023, 08:40 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Go and check the 60th trailer - there is a moment where Donna is looking over at NPH as the toy maker in top hat and tails, and people have said it looks like Wilf is below her in his wheelchair, so maybe he is there in the opening scene, which would be correct of RTD, that scene is the only time he recorded, but it carries over into the opening moments of the third special

Those 'riot' scenes from the 3rd special (as you referenced from the trailer) were filmed in Bristol not Camden, so I'd imagine they used a double to substitute for Bernard, and Wilf will be hastily transported back to his UNIT carehome for his safety

https://x.com/whovianlife/status/1731429168926077096?s=46&t=uYc2nILLUU7TByduAbmbxg 

RE: Doctor Who - RhysJR - 07-12-2023

Nice to see director Tom Kingsley has continued woth his tradition of publishing a thread of behind the scenes secrets like he did when he was on Ghosts. Quite fun and insightful.

https://twitter.com/kingsley_tom/status/1731401988355551575?t=k-rPx6xh3ZXCqIGtQEkmJA&s=19 

(03-12-2023, 01:42 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  That’s a good point. Maybe he couldn’t stand for long enough for the filming (that short scene probably took all day to film).

I think I remeber seeing Bernard on Pointless Celebrities around a decade ago and he was sitting on a stool when not answering questions (which is certainly not the norm for Pointless). You would imagine his condition would have sadly got worse from there since.

It was absolutely fantastic to see him for one last time though. The tributes and his only appearnace in Unleashed were joyous too. Thankful he had one last appaearance on screen.