Pres Café
Doctor Who - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Doctor Who (/showthread.php?tid=191)

RE: Doctor Who - Stuart - 18-12-2023

(17-12-2023, 12:08 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Yeah, he has a TARDIS, being abroad isn't enough to cause him to miss things. Plus Donna was offered a UNIT job and Mel works there too, so they both also should be in the thick of it if anything happens. UNIT is part of the United Nations, their operations aren't limited to the United Kingdom!
Originally referred to as the United Nations Intelligence Taskforce, executive producer Russell T Davies said in 2005 that the UN was no longer happy to be associated with the fictional organisation and the UN's full name could now no longer be used.

RE: Doctor Who - Flux - 18-12-2023

(17-12-2023, 02:37 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  I doubt we will see David or Catherine back again - if RTD does go down that path, it will be the case of ever diminishing returns and the viewers will get bored.

Remember that David was in the 50th in 2013, then a decade of waiting and he returned for 60th, if the show is still going by 2033, that would be a time to wheel David out for the 70th, and probably he wouldn't have aged much, as David seems to be unique, he looks always fit, healthy and fantastic

Which is why I’m even more baffled why RTD has left himself such a gaping plot hole for future episodes. Whether they’re living in France, in London, or popping to Mars for a holiday at the wrong time, their lack of appearance in any serious Earth-bound threat is just going to be awkward. He’s usually a very thorough writer, and I’m surprised he didn’t come up with something just to lock them away (for now). Maybe Rose Noble will be relaying some news to 15 to help tie up the loose ends, but as other posters have mentioned “they’re living in France, soz” is hardly an excuse! Big Grin

RE: Doctor Who - JMT1985 - 18-12-2023

(18-12-2023, 08:49 AM)Flux Wrote:  Which is why I’m even more baffled why RTD has left himself such a gaping plot hole for future episodes. Whether they’re living in France, in London, or popping to Mars for a holiday at the wrong time, their lack of appearance in any serious Earth-bound threat is just going to be awkward. He’s usually a very thorough writer, and I’m surprised he didn’t come up with something just to lock them away (for now). Maybe Rose Noble will be relaying some news to 15 to help tie up the loose ends, but as other posters have mentioned “they’re living in France, soz” is hardly an excuse! Big Grin

Well do you remember the final series of Torchwood, Miracle Day, and the doctor was no where to be seen, and all of the story of Miracle Day was never once mentioned in any episode of Doctor Who, it is as if the whole thing never happened. Moffat who was showrunner of Doctor Who simply ignored why the doctor didn't try to help and why Rory, Amy or anyone they encounter on earth didn't mention that extraordinary event in their lives.

So Doctor Who has history of ignoring things when they need/want to.

RE: Doctor Who - DTV - 18-12-2023

(18-12-2023, 01:39 AM)Stuart Wrote:  Originally referred to as the United Nations Intelligence Taskforce, executive producer Russell T Davies said in 2005 that the UN was no longer happy to be associated with the fictional organisation and the UN's full name could now no longer be used.
'no longer happy to be associated with' is certainly a diplomatic way of describing the UN sending the BBC a letter accusing them of breaching the Geneva Conventions!

RE: Doctor Who - JAS84 - 18-12-2023

Why didn't they complain in 1968 when UNIT debuted, or in 1970 when they became a regular part of the show?

RE: Doctor Who - DTV - 18-12-2023

(18-12-2023, 07:04 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Why didn't they complain in 1968 when UNIT debuted, or in 1970 when they became a regular part of the show?
The specific cause of the complaint was actually a tie-in website, rather than the series. I guess an artistic licence defence could be mounted for a TV drama, but harder to use for a website that people might stumble across without context.

RE: Doctor Who - RhysJR - 19-12-2023

Seven-day rating for all three specials are now in, and there was a drop of around 0.8 million between The Star Beast and The Giggle. Though, saying that, it was still the most watched drama across the three weeks and was only beaten by Strictly and I'm a Celeb overall.

For context, the consolidated rating is around 1.5 million up on Power of the Doctor, the last Jodie Whittaker/Chris Chibnall episode. This is more a reflection of the changing in the broadcast landscape, but the last Tennant/RTD episodes had ratings around the 11-12 million mark.

https://www.tvzoneuk.com/post/drwho-thegiggle-7days 

And congratulations to Janis Goblin (and Murray Gold, Russell T Davies and Christina Rotondo) for reaching number four in the Official Big Top 40 with 'The Goblin Song', and number 12 in the Offical Singles Sales Chart.

https://twitter.com/BigTop40/status/1736457061368496158 

https://www.officialcharts.com/songs/murray-gold-doctor-who-the-goblin-song/ 

RE: Doctor Who - Brekkie - 19-12-2023

It's really hard to judge ratings now as everything seems so underwhelming, even when it's probably one of the highest scripted audiences of the year. The demos might tell us more - is it picking up a new generation of fans?

RE: Doctor Who - strollfan - 19-12-2023

(19-12-2023, 01:24 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  It's really hard to judge ratings now as everything seems so underwhelming, even when it's probably one of the highest scripted audiences of the year. The demos might tell us more - is it picking up a new generation of fans?

I think the numbers are a pretty unequivocal success - it's all about comparing to what is around it. Third most viewed show on television, including number one scripted show, as well as being 1.5 million up on Whitaker/Chibnall? No denying that the refresh worked, at least to begin with. Now to see whether they only tuned in for Tennant, though...

RE: Doctor Who - JMT1985 - 19-12-2023

In my opinion, the consolidated ratings for the special are very good, considering the new era we are in in television.

Of course entertainment shows like Strictly would beat it, but it stood up firmly against other shows and did very well.

Go back to 2013, for the 50th anniversary which was one 77 minute special, and that achieved 12.8 million altogether, but ten years is a LONG time ago, when in 2013 linear TV was still strong and streaming was still sort of a novelty for people.