Pres Café
Doctor Who - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Doctor Who (/showthread.php?tid=191)

RE: Doctor Who - Joe - 22-03-2024

Again, does it matter? It's even embedded above, it's not like you can't access it. Without foreign funding, the show might not exist, might not have the same number of episodes, might not have a well known actor (which like it or not increases the profile of the show), might not have the same budget for effects and so on.

RE: Doctor Who - JMT1985 - 22-03-2024

(22-03-2024, 09:24 PM)Joe Wrote:  Again, does it matter? It's even embedded above, it's not like you can't access it. Without foreign funding, the show might not exist, might not have the same number of episodes, might not have a well known actor (which like it or not increases the profile of the show), might not have the same budget for effects and so on.

Yes it does - it is British show first - it is also paid for my the licence fee payers, who have to cough up close to £170 a year for watching live television - the Disney money is for the licensing rights, Disney does not fund the production of Doctor Who

Would US shows give UK audiences their trailers and clips first, would they hell not - this is a case of TV politics, where British broadcasters play to the US crowd and ignore the British audience.

So yes, it does matter, because US networks don't give a toss about UK audiences, but UK shows always now seem to try and please US audiences.

RE: Doctor Who - XIII - 22-03-2024

(22-03-2024, 09:35 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Yes it does - it is British show first - it is also paid for my the licence fee payers, who have to cough up close to £170 a year for watching live television - the Disney money is for the licensing rights, Disney does not fund the production of Doctor Who

Would US shows give UK audiences their trailers and clips first, would they hell not - this is a case of TV politics, where British broadcasters play to the US crowd and ignore the British audience.

So yes, it does matter, because US networks don't give a toss about UK audiences, but UK shows always now seem to try and please US audiences.

You're complaining again over something trivial, maybe you need a break,

RE: Doctor Who - James2001 - 22-03-2024

You say that as if this whole forum isn't based around complaining about trivial things.

RE: Doctor Who - RhysJR - 22-03-2024

(22-03-2024, 09:24 PM)Joe Wrote:  Again, does it matter? It's even embedded above, it's not like you can't access it. Without foreign funding, the show might not exist, might not have the same number of episodes, might not have a well known actor (which like it or not increases the profile of the show), might not have the same budget for effects and so on.

I really doesn't think it matters in this case. For whatever reason, one account shared the trailer ahead of another by 30 or so minutes. This was still published in the prime time for UK online content (plenty of other YouTube videos from accounts I follow were published between 5:00 and 6:30). The Disney+ version on YouTube also has three time the views of the official account (and both those numbers are in line with the usual numbers of both channels), so you can understand why Disney+'s channel could be pushed first. And as you say, the UK have access to the Disney+ YouTube channel, even if I was confused for a good five minutes not being able to find the trailer as it was not where I was looking.

RE: Doctor Who - AaronTV - 22-03-2024

(22-03-2024, 06:51 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  And again, US gets it first - yes it just a trailer, but it does feel the US is moving towards catering towards the US audience first, international audience second, and the British audience third. Always happens. Just look at how RTD destroyed Torchwood in their fourth season by moving it all to the US and really butchering the plot.

To inject some reality here, it’s a matter of record that the only way a fourth series of Torchwood could be funded was by finding a production partner. In this case it was an American broadcaster, and the result was setting part of the series in the US. A fourth series would not otherwise have been made.

Why even focus on the US or international aspect, who cares? From a British perspective, a much loved show with a long history is entering a fantastic new stage of its life. The budget is hugely increased, we have a very talented new Doctor, and an extremely successful showrunner back at the helm.

The show is arguably in the best place it has been since at least 2008, if not ever, and most fans are very happy to see it, without moaning about other audiences getting the opportunity to enjoy it too.

RE: Doctor Who - XIII - 22-03-2024

I think saying that the US is taking over British TV is a massive overstatement and clearly not true.

RE: Doctor Who - JAS84 - 23-03-2024

Yeah, Doctor Who is an outlier here because science fiction isn't cheap to make - they don't want to look bad when compared to stuff like Star Wars and Marvel, which are both Disney properties, do they?

Saying Disney don't fund it is incorrect. Pay attention to the endcap. It says it's a Bad Wolf and BBC Studios production for BBC and Disney. Disney's logo is stamped on the show! It would just say it was made for the BBC if they were the only ones funding it. The BBC owns the format, but Disney has paid for more than just international distribution.

RE: Doctor Who - RhysJR - 23-03-2024

I thought it looked a little off, and that explains it

https://twitter.com/FAAPF/status/1771470635484565630?t=cBlKvr4n8XeNznhWSPqVEQ&s=19 

RE: Doctor Who - Brekkie - 23-03-2024

(22-03-2024, 09:35 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Yes it does - it is British show first - it is also paid for my the licence fee payers, who have to cough up close to £170 a year for watching live television - the Disney money is for the licensing rights, Disney does not fund the production of Doctor Who
I think you'll find that they do. Indeed you won't find much UK drama that isn't funded in part by an international broadcaster nowadays - that's pretty much how the BBC has been able to really invest in drama in recent year. Nowadays if a production company takes a drama to a broadcaster it'll usually get commissioned but on the condition the majority of funding to make it comes from elsewhere.