Pres Café
American News Presentation - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: American News Presentation (/showthread.php?tid=209)

RE: American News Presentation - London Lite - 28-07-2023

WPVI have always been respectful of their heritage staff.

Considering they have staff who have been there 20/30 years plus, it seems to be a great place to work for both on and off air team members and wanted to show respect to previous staff members who have given as much to the station as Jim Gardner did.

RE: American News Presentation - rkolsen - 29-07-2023

Today is updating graphics, usually after the Saturday today the don’t trigger the Name Dropper which activates the ticker. Well at least Hearst owned WBAL and WGAL have launched the graphics today. Hearst has in the past “rebuilt” the backdrop for the ticker for a while. The new ticker is basically a shift down of the current ticker area with grey buffers on the each side to the end of the screen.

My guess why it popped up that way today is that the two stations already uploaded the new files while removing the “old”. So when it was triggered it launched the new graphics.

RE: American News Presentation - W1ll - 29-07-2023

(29-07-2023, 07:18 PM)rkolsen Wrote:  Today is updating graphics, usually after the Saturday today the don’t trigger the Name Dropper which activates the ticker. Well at least Hearst owned WBAL and WGAL have launched the graphics today. Hearst has in the past “rebuilt” the backdrop for the ticker for a while. The new ticker is basically a shift down of the current ticker area with grey buffers on the each side to the end of the screen.

My guess why it popped up that way today is that the two stations already uploaded the new files while removing the “old”. So when it was triggered it launched the new graphics.

Is there any screenshots of the new graphics yet?

RE: American News Presentation - Critique - 29-07-2023

(26-07-2023, 04:31 AM)Mike Wrote:  Wasn't sure where to post this. But it is an unused closing sequence for the CBS Evening News from the 2022 package - it is a remix of the last 20 seconds of the 1988 closing titles/bumper 'c'.

It's just a shame the same 5 tracks have been used since the launch of this package, according to the composers there are at least 30 cuts! Outside of the music and the set, CBS has very little going for it's network offering.

CBS have certainly made some strange choices as far as their news music goes in recent years, so it’s a real shame when unused little snippets like this appear and sound so good!

The CBS Mornings theme has grown on me but it’s very jarring hearing it mixed in with the old CBS This Morning Eye Opener theme, especially when the latter is far superior to the CBS Mornings package. Then, they spent a good five year period from the 2016 US election getting the vast majority of their news music to sound vaguely consistent with a consistent three note logo, only for CBSN to relaunch with a five note logo! Plus there’s the general tinkering with the CBS Evening News theme - every five years they seem to flip flop on whether they want to use the heritage theme or do something different.

RE: American News Presentation - rkolsen - 29-07-2023

(29-07-2023, 07:43 PM)W1ll Wrote:  Is there any screenshots of the new graphics yet?

I am curious if they’ll look like the Nightly graphics.  But this is an example of the ticker from susquvalleugal on Discord:

[Image: IMG_4948.jpg]

For some reason Hearst likes rebuilding the ticker. If they followed the simple guidelines by NBC and the software all they’d do is fix the position of the text/time and temp. As you can see above the back drop is existing already there. To run the ticker it’s a simple .txt file where every line inserts the divider. But there also plugins to receive RSS from the NRCS.

If they updated the ticker and it went out today (with out their backdrop) there would just be text.  Hearst did the same thing with the prior packages. I don’t know why they rebuild the ticker with the backgrounds. My guess is they want things to be dynamic such as using a 3 column weather layout -  but that could be done as a typical text overlay - they already don’t use the NameDropper for ticker purposes it’s connected to Viz, I believe. 

There was a tornado warning at about 8:20 AM and although the cut into Today the ticker remained and disappeared as if they were still taking the broadcast, as you can see here you’ll notice the background they rebuilt.

Oh and some packages on NBC O&Os sometimes trigger the ticker  when video from Today appears.  Probably the ancillary data that turns it on/off is still encoded. Probably by the time it goes through the NBC News Channel the data has been removed.

Overall the NameDropper isn’t that smart, it can run crawls for Today, insert logos during primetime, TOTH IDs and I believe can handle EAS alerts. But it’s not a fancy CG.

RE: American News Presentation - ol1xie - 31-07-2023

Appears they've got rid of most of the angled graphics https://youtu.be/Cp_WylZlG4o 

RE: American News Presentation - lepeterrr - 31-07-2023

(31-07-2023, 12:35 PM)ol1xie Wrote:  Appears they've got rid of most of the angled graphics https://youtu.be/Cp_WylZlG4o 
Much prefer this look to the previous one, always felt the angled graphics were incredibly OTT, the curved graphics also fit in better with the overall design of the studio.

RE: American News Presentation - scottishtv - 31-07-2023

Do they just send someone outside for a few mins to provide that exterior shot?

Also, am I imagining things or does that camera used outside also have a small autocue/teleprompter screen on it?

RE: American News Presentation - rkolsen - 31-07-2023

(31-07-2023, 12:48 PM)lepeterrr Wrote:  Much prefer this look to the previous one, always felt the angled graphics were incredibly OTT, the curved graphics also fit in better with the overall design of the studio.

My issue is they use on the lighter stories is a light blue with a white background. I have good vision with glasses but it was difficult to read.

(31-07-2023, 12:48 PM)scottishtv Wrote:  Do they just send someone outside for a few mins to provide that exterior shot?

Also, am I imagining things or does that camera used outside also have a small autocue/teleprompter screen on it?
That shot is probably live. When they’re on the plaza they have a production type cart with a monitor I assume form those there live and the talent.. But there is one or to steadicam that has a small display above the lenses.

I am not sure if they do now but I last year they had these pods with a roof and branding on it. It was was a decent size but they outdoor TVs places in a triangular position so it could the feed could be seen.

RE: American News Presentation - fanoftv - 31-07-2023

That’s a nice little change that fits in with the logo well, both Today’s and NBC’s. I wonder why they’ve changed it today in the middle of summer, that’s assuming that things used to change in September in the same way that our shows used to refresh for the autumn/new school year.