Pres Café
Challenge TV - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Challenge TV (/showthread.php?tid=215)

RE: Challenge TV - JAS84 - 27-05-2023

(27-05-2023, 04:21 PM)cable Wrote:  I'd like a FAST channel for kids challenge. With content like Fun House, GYOB, knightmare, finders keepers and terror towers!
They would never all be on the same one, didn't you just list three CITV shows and two CBBC ones?

RE: Challenge TV - cable - 28-05-2023

(27-05-2023, 04:47 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  
(27-05-2023, 04:21 PM)cable Wrote:  I'd like a FAST channel for kids challenge. With content like Fun House, GYOB, knightmare, finders keepers and terror towers!
They would never all be on the same one, didn't you just list three CITV shows and two CBBC ones?

A man can dream  Big Grin

RE: Challenge TV - Tola - 28-05-2023

Let's not forget that Challenge itself has aired 2 of the shows listed above in the past (Fun House and Knightmare) and probably don't have a sufficient budget for renewing them now or obtaining the rights to other gameshows besides their small selection that fills the schedules now

RE: Challenge TV - Brekkie - 28-05-2023

Irrelevant they are BBC/ITV shows - Challenge and other archive channels usually feature a mix of both. The real stretch here is it's probably rather niche even by our standards, although FAST channels and niche often go hand in hand.

RE: Challenge TV - Juicy Joe - 28-05-2023

I wish Challenge would air these niche shows again on their channel. There was a period 6-7 years ago where these were cropping up, in the speech bubble era logo era, which was amazing. At this time, they aired Series 1-4 of Knightmare on Friday nights & Sunday mornings, but haven't yet shown Series 5-8 (at least since it was on Freeview). I know it probably will not happen now, but you never know.

RE: Challenge TV - Gary Baldy - 28-05-2023

(28-05-2023, 12:57 PM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  I wish Challenge would air these niche shows again on their channel. There was a period 6-7 years ago where these were cropping up, in the speech bubble era logo era, which was amazing. At this time, they aired Series 1-4 of Knightmare on Friday nights & Sunday mornings, but haven't yet shown Series 5-8 (at least since it was on Freeview). I know it probably will not happen now, but you never know.
Challenge under the first few years of Sky ownership was amazing- they took risks-  not all paid off but it was nice to see some really niche shows. Now they’re just relying on the same old, same old.

Have they done anything original since Blockbusters?

RE: Challenge TV - Neil Jones - 28-05-2023

(28-05-2023, 06:20 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Have they done anything original since Blockbusters?

The Bullseye documentary and a compilation of game shows of some sort Roy Walker did (though he did something similar before for them).

Whatever that show Brian Conley did for them was called, which only lasted a year and was never seen or heard of again. Timeline, I just looked it up. Then there was that cheap knock-off based on The Chase show they did with Mark Labbett, Beat The Beast. Again, one series.

RE: Challenge TV - SuperSajuuk - 28-05-2023

The problem I see with Challenge is that Sky doesn't feel like just buying up the exclusive broadcasting licenses [in the UK at least] to any old gameshow content. All they are appearing to do is buy up the rights for random programmes for, at most a year, and then they quietly shelve the programme forever, causing it to disappear into the void.

The only way people can watch stuff like Knightmare, Family Fortunes, old Millionaire episodes etc, is via YouTube. And in the case of Millionaire, Series 1-4 is impossible to watch again, as most of the channels which had uploaded the content have been closed or the videos just get DMCA'd by a non-existent rights entity.

I feel Sky needs to either acquire indefinite broadcasting rights to a lot of old British game shows, if anything for archival purposes so they are "somewhere", or simply become the IP owner for a lot of them. Even if their IP ownership was simply "we'll put these up in a public space and people can download them all they want" or "we'll make these available indefinitely through on-demand and they'll be broadcast from time to time via Challenge", that would resolve this situation and give certainty to old game shows, some of which are surely going to be lost to time if someone doesn't broadcast the content at some point soon.

Nothing wrong with watching content via YouTube - Heck that might reach it's audience better.

I do think they're right to rely less and less on older content as newer content becomes available - the mistake is how reliant on one show they seem to be, but to be fair everytime they try and bring in a high volume alternative like Deal or No Deal or The Weakest Link they've just not worked out for them.