Pres Café
Challenge TV - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Challenge TV (/showthread.php?tid=215)

RE: Challenge TV - SuperSajuuk - 28-05-2023

(28-05-2023, 07:30 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Nothing wrong with watching content via YouTube - Heck that might reach it's audience better.

I do think they're right to rely less and less on older content as newer content becomes available - the mistake is how reliant on one show they seem to be, but to be fair everytime they try and bring in a high volume alternative like Deal or No Deal or The Weakest Link they've just not worked out for them.

Oh I totally agree and I regularly watch old TV show content on there. However, YouTube is not a safe haven: its against TOS (and is also just copyright infringement) to upload television programmes to the site and although its unlikely to happen, there is nothing stopping the copyright owner using DMCA to take down their content and they would be in their legal rights to do that. Also, people can also just close their YouTube/Google accounts, thereby committing anything they uploaded to the proverbial trash can and it'll be lost forever.

What really needs to happen is for the copyright owners to either put their content into public domain (unlikely) or for them to give their blessing for the content to be put up on an official YouTube channel and kept there indefinitely as an archive. The latter would be more likely to happen, but the owners of a lot of old UK game shows don't seem to want to do that, which is unfortunate.

To stay on-topic with Challenge, I agree they shouldn't completely rely on older content, but as you rightly point out, they shouldn't be just "The Chase Channel". If they don't want to broadcast older content on there, there is nothing really stopping Sky placing the content behind the digital paywall of Sky Q/Sky Stream as on-demand downloads through the connected device.

RE: Challenge TV - Larry the Loafer - 28-05-2023

There's also the fact that some weirdos - such as myself - get a real kick out of broadcast quality copies of these shows, as opposed to the grim, deinterlaced 25fps uploads that the majority of folks settle for on YouTube.

Though they're probably still at a better bitrate than Challenge broadcast in!

RE: Challenge TV - James2001 - 28-05-2023

That's not just youtube, but most streaming services too.

RE: Challenge TV - Larry the Loafer - 28-05-2023

(28-05-2023, 08:56 PM)James2001 Wrote:  That's not just youtube, but most streaming services too.

Don't get me started on that...  Dodgy

RE: Challenge TV - Neil Jones - 29-05-2023

(28-05-2023, 08:44 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  There's also the fact that some weirdos - such as myself - get a real kick out of broadcast quality copies of these shows, as opposed to the grim, deinterlaced 25fps uploads that the majority of folks settle for on YouTube.

Still hunting for a decent quality clip (as a keepsake no doubt Wink of that time you knocked Nick Frisby out, are you Larry? Big Grin

But anyway as highlighted YouTube isn't permanent... well anything.  There are a few "official" channels floating around for various companies, shows etc that stopped being maintained after the show they pertain too ended, but even then no guarantee they'll hang around.  Google updated their "inactive account" policy last week for Google accounts with view to deletion for inactive accounts (which would include YouTube accounts) and then had to update it to tack on the phrase "Additionally, we do not have plans to delete accounts with YouTube videos at this time."
https://blog.google/technology/safety-security/updating-our-inactive-account-policies/ 

"at this time" is usually code for it will happen at some unspecified point down the line, so watch this space.

RE: Challenge TV - Gary Baldy - 29-05-2023

(28-05-2023, 06:44 PM)SuperSajuuk Wrote:  The problem I see with Challenge is that Sky doesn't feel like just buying up the exclusive broadcasting licenses [in the UK at least] to any old gameshow content. All they are appearing to do is buy up the rights for random programmes for, at most a year, and then they quietly shelve the programme forever, causing it to disappear into the void.

The only way people can watch stuff like Knightmare, Family Fortunes, old Millionaire episodes etc, is via YouTube. And in the case of Millionaire, Series 1-4 is impossible to watch again, as most of the channels which had uploaded the content have been closed or the videos just get DMCA'd by a non-existent rights entity.

I feel Sky needs to either acquire indefinite broadcasting rights to a lot of old British game shows, if anything for archival purposes so they are "somewhere", or simply become the IP owner for a lot of them. Even if their IP ownership was simply "we'll put these up in a public space and people can download them all they want" or "we'll make these available indefinitely through on-demand and they'll be broadcast from time to time via Challenge", that would resolve this situation and give certainty to old game shows, some of which are surely going to be lost to time if someone doesn't broadcast the content at some point soon.
Challenge did show S1-4 of Millionaire again back in November

RE: Challenge TV - James2001 - 29-05-2023

I think they're the only series they've ever shown in their original format rather than the re-edited "classic" versions.

RE: Challenge TV - Happy2001 - 29-05-2023

(29-05-2023, 01:15 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I think they're the only series they've ever shown in their original format rather than the re-edited "classic" versions.

Only that and the Christmas 2010- February 2014 shows.

They are airing currently Series 2 of Classic Millionaire (April 2001 - January 2002) and they're using the originals (with the occasional one having it's commercial break point moved) not using the shortened versions made in 2010-11 & every show is airing in it's original 16:9 ratio.

RE: Challenge TV - SuperSajuuk - 29-05-2023

(29-05-2023, 01:07 PM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  Challenge did show S1-4 of Millionaire again back in November

Oh thats good to hear, I missed it since I stopped watching the channel due to the inconsistent schedules lol. I really wish Stellify Media -- the current owners of the Millionaire UK broadcasting rights -- could get ahold of all the original tapes off Sony and put them up on YouTube behind a geoblock for UK only users with ads on them, then they can make some money off them being there.

RE: Challenge TV - TVFan - 30-05-2023

(29-05-2023, 01:21 PM)Happy2001 Wrote:  Only that and the Christmas 2010- February 2014 shows.

They are airing currently Series 2 of Classic Millionaire (April 2001 - January 2002) and they're using the originals (with the occasional one having it's commercial break point moved) not using the shortened versions made in 2010-11 & every show is airing in it's original 16:9 ratio.
Looks like they received new prints, as the episodes also now end with a Sony logo. Speaking of which, the episode that just played only showed the first few seconds of the credits before cutting to the Sony logo, not sure if that was an error or an edit made by Challenge.