Pres Café
Challenge TV - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Challenge TV (/showthread.php?tid=215)

RE: Challenge TV - Brekkie - 10-07-2023

I've seen charges of signicantly more than that for archive content, but always worth asking. There was a story doing the rounds a couple of weeks back about the BBC providing someone's elderly mother with a copy of the Generation Game episode they appeared in on the 70s.

What you really need to try and know in advance is the episode number they appeared on. Ask for them to trawl through an entire archive to find that out is unlikely to bring a positive response, but if you can ask for a specific episode they'd have catalogued by broadcast date or episode number and they might be more willing.

And you might just get lucky on YouTube.

RE: Challenge TV - nwtv2003 - 10-07-2023

There was a story somewhere that when Tyne Tees was bought by Yorkshire Television they skipped several episodes of Blockbusters (to catch up with YTV, along with some of the Australian soaps) and apparently the contestants from the Tyne Tees region featuring in the episodes TTTV didn’t air were mailed the episodes on video.

I think this could warrant its own thread. Some companies can offer you a transfer for a reasonable price, as stated. I believe Moving Image whilst it existed offered transfers of whole editions of TV-am.

RE: Challenge TV - Humphrey Hacker - 10-07-2023

(10-07-2023, 06:20 PM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  There was a story somewhere that when Tyne Tees was bought by Yorkshire Television they skipped several episodes of Blockbusters (to catch up with YTV, along with some of the Australian soaps) and apparently the contestants from the Tyne Tees region featuring in the episodes TTTV didn’t air were mailed the episodes on video.

I think this could warrant its own thread. Some companies can offer you a transfer for a reasonable price, as stated. I believe Moving Image whilst it existed offered transfers of whole editions of TV-am.

If that's true then it's a bit unfair on the students in question.

RE: Challenge TV - JasonB - 11-07-2023

(10-07-2023, 06:20 PM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  There was a story somewhere that when Tyne Tees was bought by Yorkshire Television they skipped several episodes of Blockbusters (to catch up with YTV, along with some of the Australian soaps) and apparently the contestants from the Tyne Tees region featuring in the episodes TTTV didn’t air were mailed the episodes on video.

Slightly in relation to this part of the topic. I appeared on Nickelodeon in the May half term in 1998 (got to meet Mike McClean and Mounya) when they did the watch your own week in the half term holidays. Shortly after this appearance on Nickelodeon i received several tapes which were recorded by relatives of my appearance and an official tape from Nickelodeon themselves in the post a week later. This tape just consisted of the links I did with them.

RE: Challenge TV - JAS84 - 19-07-2023

Over the last couple of days, I've seen ATV's logo on a Bullseye episode, and Central idents on both Bullseye (the original 1982 one) and Family Fortunes (the cake). I'm surprised they weren't chopped off and replaced by the modern ITV Studios logo!

RE: Challenge TV - nionlogos18 - 19-07-2023

I think the next season has the ITV Studios Global Entertainment logo after the still Central for ITV endcap.

RE: Challenge TV - Larry the Loafer - 19-07-2023

(19-07-2023, 02:40 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Over the last couple of days, I've seen ATV's logo on a Bullseye episode, and Central idents on both Bullseye (the original 1982 one) and Family Fortunes (the cake). I'm surprised they weren't chopped off and replaced by the modern ITV Studios logo!

I think (don't quote me on this) it depends on when they were acquired, and whether ITV or Fremantle or whoever the respective show belongs to start replacing endcaps and such by the time Challenge got them. I'm assuming it's the same reason why some episodes of Family Fortunes are still butchered, because they use the same copies from when Challenge wanted to squeeze more adverts into a half hour. But I would think if they were to acquire new copies of Bullseye now, you'll find the Central frontcaps have been removed, or at the very least, new ITV Studios logos at the end.

RE: Challenge TV - WillPS - 19-07-2023

(19-07-2023, 02:40 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Over the last couple of days, I've seen ATV's logo on a Bullseye episode, and Central idents on both Bullseye (the original 1982 one) and Family Fortunes (the cake). I'm surprised they weren't chopped off and replaced by the modern ITV Studios logo!

AFAIK the practice of replacing idents/production slides by distributors sort of stopped about 15 years ago - most either do nothing or add an additional logo after now. Carlton, Granada and Fremantle were the worst offenders for this.

Sadly plenty of copies still in playout which have the replaced versions - Carlton International has now been a dead brand far longer than it was a thing but still shows up a lot of the time on repeat channels.

Challenge in the 00s were also very much in to chopping episodes down for time, in the case of some Bullseye episodes to ribbons in fact, and obviously any interesting pre-roll post-roll stuff would have been lost in that cull. Sadly these versions of some series still linger on too.

RE: Challenge TV - Neil Jones - 19-07-2023

"Its a Bullseye with Jim Bowen, welcome to Bullseye, thanks for watching, you can't beat a bit of Bully, bye!"

Is what it felt like at its peak in the Virgin days.

RE: Challenge TV - Gary McEwan - 25-07-2023

It's really noticeable on episodes certainly on Bullseye anyway from Series 11. Even the contestant interviews have been cut down to shribbons, either that or there's things that have been mentioned that might not be very PC in this day and age.

I need to look back my emails but I actually emailed Challenge a few years ago and actually asked them why episodes are so butchered and got a very lackluster response saying that they got the episodes like that (which I didn't believe for a second).

The editing on them is so bad at times, it's actually quite horrid to watch.