Pres Café
Challenge TV - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Challenge TV (/showthread.php?tid=215)

RE: Challenge TV - Neil Jones - 25-07-2023

Its ironic really, as the Virgin edits aren't consistent. You can get one with a small amount of cutting and then the next one has half the contestant introductions chopped out. You'd have thought if they were going to chop all the "meet the contestants" stuff out they'd have done it on all the episodes of Series 11, not just half or some of them.

Sky will probably be in for a shock if they ever get new prints from ITV of the Bullseye episodes Virgin hacked away at... "Oh that's interesting, why is this new copy 26 minutes when what we already have is only 21?"

RE: Challenge TV - WillPS - 25-07-2023

(25-07-2023, 09:57 PM)Gary McEwan Wrote:  I need to look back my emails but I actually emailed Challenge a few years ago and actually asked them why episodes are so butchered and got a very lackluster response saying that they got the episodes like that (which I didn't believe for a second).

The editing on them is so bad at times, it's actually quite horrid to watch.
Depends on your understanding of 'they'. The edits were done by VMTV. Sky received those edited assets when they took over the running of Challenge, so 'they' did indeed get the episodes that way.

They could ask ITV for fresh copies I'm sure, but it wouldn't be a cost-free process for them to do that.

Some over-edited series have been replaced by non/less-edited ones, I presume when the rights for those series have been allowed to expire and then been reacquired sometime later?

RE: Challenge TV - Happy2001 - 26-07-2023

The BSL Gameshow Sign2Win is scheduled to air from the 7th August at 11am.
http://ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Sign2Win 

RE: Challenge TV - WillPS - 26-07-2023

(25-07-2023, 11:07 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Its ironic really, as the Virgin edits aren't consistent.  You can get one with a small amount of cutting and then the next one has half the contestant introductions chopped out.  You'd have thought if they were going to chop all the "meet the contestants" stuff out they'd have done it on all the episodes of Series 11, not just half or some of them.

Sky will probably be in for a shock if they ever get new prints from ITV of the Bullseye episodes Virgin hacked away at...  "Oh that's interesting, why is this new copy 26 minutes when what we already have is only 21?"

The intention was to make the episode lengths consistent wasn't it, so they could fit rigidly in their clockface schedule (always meeting the top of the hour, even if it meant padding every flipping double bill of 1 vs 100 with a matching 5-10 minute Auntie's Bloomers to fill the gap) and consistently have the longest breaks possible.

RE: Challenge TV - Neil Jones - 26-07-2023

(26-07-2023, 09:58 AM)WillPS Wrote:  The intention was to make the episode lengths consistent wasn't it, so they could fit rigidly in their clockface schedule (always meeting the top of the hour, even if it meant padding every flipping double bill of 1 vs 100 with a matching 5-10 minute Auntie's Bloomers to fill the gap) and consistently have the longest breaks possible.

Yes, and it affected BBC programmes a lot I remember as well. Paul Daniels Wipeout was totally shot to pieces so it could fit in a 30min slot with adverts. Normally it would have been 40 minutes.

For stuff from the commercial networks there would have been less to hack out, as it would have already fitted a 30min transmission slot, but as you say it was probably to squash it into 25mins and trot out Auntie's Bloomers or a Beadle's About segment.

RE: Challenge TV - Brekkie - 26-07-2023

Where as nowadays you could probably cut an hour long ITV game show down to half an hour and not actually miss anything. Family Fortunes has as many rounds now at an hour as it did at half an hour with Les Dennis. Think it's the same with Catchphrase too, although that doesn't feel so padded.

RE: Challenge TV - Larry the Loafer - 26-07-2023

(26-07-2023, 06:56 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Where as nowadays you could probably cut an hour long ITV game show down to half an hour and not actually miss anything.    Family Fortunes has as many rounds now at an hour as it did at half an hour with Les Dennis.

And somehow manages to feel like two hours.

RE: Challenge TV - Gary Baldy - 27-07-2023

Yikes- Challenge are airing an episode of Pointless with a brief appearance from Tim Westwood….

I guess it slipped through the cracks because he wasn’t playing the game- just asking one of the questions.

RE: Challenge TV - Brekkie - 27-07-2023

Worth noting, especially after yesterday, he hasn't been charged with anything, let alone found guilty.

Suspect had he been a contestant the episode may have been skipped but here it's a minimal appearance - though as Alexander usually repeats questions when they're read by a guest it probably could be edited out relatively easily.

P.S Has Challenge ever showed regular Pointless or just the celeb version?

RE: Challenge TV - WillPS - 27-07-2023

(27-07-2023, 11:20 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Worth noting,  especially after yesterday, he hasn't been charged with anything, let alone found guilty.

Suspect had he been a contestant the episode may have been skipped but here it's a minimal appearance - though as Alexander usually repeats questions when they're read by a guest it probably could be edited out relatively easily.

P.S  Has Challenge ever showed regular Pointless or just the celeb version?

They started with Series 1 and 2, I think. Back in the days before they acquired The Chase and that then became half their schedule.