Pres Café
Challenge TV - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Challenge TV (/showthread.php?tid=215)

RE: Challenge TV - agemame - 14-08-2023

Given the nature of the reactions, I'm pretty sure the rude version was recorded, and the clean version pasted over for broadcast. It's not like it's actually rude in any sense in context, it was just appalling luck that the relevant squares were removed in that order. Unless you believe that someone may have set it up to do just that, in which case it was a joke that had to be pulled back for television, not one created purely for an outtake. It's worth nothing that, as the set is designed, the large screen wasn't used in studio, even in the TVS days it wasn't really good enough for broadcast, so post production would have been needed regardless.

While Christmas Tape specific material does exist, this wasn't made up specifically for it. There is a rather bizarre snippet of bad Catchphrase play from an early series in one, hosted by Nick Owen, and to this day I can't work out if it was a party skit (the player is clearly a high up at TVS rather than a real contestant), or indeed, part of Nick's audition to host the show.

RE: Challenge TV - Nobby - 14-08-2023

(14-08-2023, 08:25 AM)agemame Wrote:  Given the nature of the reactions, I'm pretty sure the rude version was recorded, and the clean version pasted over for broadcast. It's not like it's actually rude in any sense in context, it was just appalling luck that the relevant squares were removed in that order. Unless you believe that someone may have set it up to do just that, in which case it was a joke that had to be pulled back for television, not one created purely for an outtake. It's worth nothing that, as the set is designed, the large screen wasn't used in studio, even in the TVS days it wasn't really good enough for broadcast, so post production would have been needed regardless.

While Christmas Tape specific material does exist, this wasn't made up specifically for it.  There is a rather bizarre snippet of bad Catchphrase play from an early series in one, hosted by Nick Owen, and to this day I can't work out if it was a party skit (the player is clearly a high up at TVS rather than a real contestant), or indeed, part of Nick's audition to host the show.
You think Nick Owen would behave like that during an audition? No wonder he didn't get the job!

After your sensible observation about the Snake Charmer animation, I'm very disappointed in the second part of your post.

It would be interesting to know who the contestant is though. Same as on the famous Bullseye one, who were Norfolk and Good really?

https://youtu.be/7f89yox0RTg 

RE: Challenge TV - bilky asko - 14-08-2023

I think I'm correct in saying that the squares to be revealed on Catchphrase were in a predetermined order.

If so, then it feels like someone deliberately set them up for the joke, not realising (or caring) how bad it would look on TX. I'd make a joke about Carlton dragging things downhill, but let's not.

As for Nick's behaviour in that clip - I don't think I've ever seen the full thing before, or certainly don't recall most of it - the approximately 7th generation off air of that Christmas Tape I had was clearly copied off a very worn out VHS, and between the poor tracking and everything else it's been nice to see it in ful.

FWIW, although he clearly didn't get the job, he did get the silver medal, Hitman. A combination of observation round, memory test and 1989 polygon graphics, based on the final end game I would say that's the closest Nick Owen ever got to any part of the real Catchphrase set.

https://www.facebook.com/tvark.org/videos/hitman/1290572014487230/ 

RE: Challenge TV - rick - 14-08-2023

I would agree with the squares on Catchphrase being in a predetermined order, but I would say that apples more to the Mulhern era rather than the Walker era. Almost every button press by the contestant on the Mulhern shows doesn't result on the animation stopping, it goes on, sometimes for 2 or 3 more squares before it stops and reaches "the right one". In the Walker era, it was either genuinely not predetermined or just edited a hell of a lot better to get the animation to stop immediately.

All I'll say on that is I've seen a lot of the code that drove old slot machines and it's amazing how quickly you can snap to the 'right' choice if you have established as random a pattern as the old board did. Not saying that is the case though

RE: Challenge TV - bilky asko - 14-08-2023

(14-08-2023, 11:32 AM)rick Wrote:  I would agree with the squares on Catchphrase being in a predetermined order, but I would say that apples more to the Mulhern era rather than the Walker era. Almost every button press by the contestant on the Mulhern shows doesn't result on the animation stopping, it goes on, sometimes for 2 or 3 more squares before it stops and reaches "the right one". In the Walker era, it was either genuinely not predetermined or just edited a hell of a lot better to get the animation to stop immediately.

You can watch an episode, and see where there is a clear random pattern of highlighted squares, but see the current square change immediately upon a button press. It's effectively just an animation and nothing to do with the next square to be selected.

RE: Challenge TV - Gary Baldy - 14-08-2023

Looks like Through the Keyhole are skipping over the Robert Maxwell episode- probably for the best.

RE: Challenge TV - AaronLancs - 14-08-2023

(14-08-2023, 08:56 PM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  Looks like Through the Keyhole are skipping over the Robert Maxwell episode- probably for the best.

What about the one with a certain Starr? As the Maxwell one and that one were the ones I pictured being omitted for rebroadcast.

RE: Challenge TV - Jon - 14-08-2023

(14-08-2023, 08:56 PM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  Looks like Through the Keyhole are skipping over the Robert Maxwell episode- probably for the best.
That episode was on today! Also featured Tony Blackburn’s house with Chris Tarrant and Nina Myskow on the panel. 

The second episode was listed as episode 3 though.