Pres Café
Challenge TV - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Challenge TV (/showthread.php?tid=215)

RE: Challenge TV - Happy2001 - 06-11-2023

(06-11-2023, 04:09 PM)BlueFrog Wrote:  Cash In The Attic on Challenge now.

Starting with Series 1 (2002)

RE: Challenge TV - BlueFrog - 13-11-2023

Bargain Hunt on Challenge now. I'm starting to notice a pattern with their recent acquisitions.

I don't know what series it is but it looks to be recent...ish.

RE: Challenge TV - JAS84 - 14-11-2023

Checked Radio Times website, it's season 33. Which isn't that recent - the BBC is airing season 65!

RE: Challenge TV - Neil Jones - 14-11-2023

IIRC Bargain Hunt has a unique definition of "series", as the show's been on air since 2000 and we're already on "series 65", though there are episodes on the iPlayer showing from Series 66. Series 52 was in 2019 so that's like 15 "series" in just four years.

I suspect because the BBC can knock this show out very quickly and get about three/four/five episodes worth of out of one location, I dare say one location can appear in up to five different "series", or multiple times in one series. But yes, Series 33 was last seen in 2013 so its about a decade old.

I suspect like most daytime shows the episode count is weighted towards recent trends, as they'll make more in the later days when its successful than they would have done in the early days - it is an all year round staple on the BBC and has been edited into various other lengths and durations to fill gaps in the schedule so...

RE: Challenge TV - agemame - 14-11-2023

Series in Bargain Hunt speak are literally just the production runs - usually things done in the same day appear in the same series ultimately, just not necessarily in order, or with any particular rhyme or reason as far as I can tell.

The BBC's policy is new material and rolling repeats, so the repeats on a given day are so many episodes away from the new setup, but it might be on one day that it's 3 series back, one day it's 4 and so on. It's a reasonably clever way of spreading things out without making it too obvious, but yes, it does mean that they lean towards the more recent than the older shows (none are shown with the old ruleset, for example).

I seem to recall BBC Enterprises have tried commercial sales of the show before to the likes of HGTV, and certainly have done a few backdoor pilots with American ex-pats as contestants to try to peak some interest overseas in either buying it in or remaking it, but nothing came of it.

RE: Challenge TV - Johnr - 14-11-2023

It’s an odd format these days anyway as (particularly since Covid) the majority of bidding is done over the Internet rather than in the room and the Internet bidders have probably done their research!

RE: Challenge TV - IanJRedman - 14-11-2023

(14-11-2023, 10:05 AM)agemame Wrote:  I seem to recall BBC Enterprises have tried commercial sales of the show before to the likes of HGTV, and certainly have done a few backdoor pilots with American ex-pats as contestants to try to peak some interest overseas in either buying it in or remaking it, but nothing came of it.

Blimey, that's a throwback! Big Grin

RE: Challenge TV - agemame - 14-11-2023

It was in the Tim Wonnacott days, so I think it predated Studios being around.

RE: Challenge TV - Jon - 14-11-2023

I’m thought they did a US version in the Dickerson days. But it may have just been US special with UK contestants?

RE: Challenge TV - JAS84 - 14-11-2023

(14-11-2023, 03:49 PM)agemame Wrote:  It was in the Tim Wonnacott days, so I think it predated Studios being around.
It would be BBC Worldwide then. It hasn't been BBC Enterprises since the 90s, before Bargain Hunt started.