Pres Café
Challenge TV - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Challenge TV (/showthread.php?tid=215)

RE: Challenge TV - Juicy Joe - 25-12-2023

(25-12-2023, 02:02 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  The 1991 Bullseye Christmas special if shown would definitely need to have stuff edited out as there's a Jimmy Savile impersonation halfway through it.

I'm sure I have seen this episode on Challenge fairly recently and I'm certain it was kept in 👍.

RE: Challenge TV - Neil Jones - 25-12-2023

Challenge later chopped the "impersonation" out, after years of airing it even after the Savile allegations.

Though in fairness it wasn't a very good impression anyway, it made that Tweenies impersonation look good by comparison to be honest.

RE: Challenge TV - Steve in Pudsey - 26-12-2023

On a tangent I was surprised that the repeats of the Benny Hill show shown on That's TV have a still of Hill made up as Rolf Harris in the end credits, particularly as they are generic with the same credit sequence spliced onto each episode, not crediting guest stars.

RE: Challenge TV - Neil Jones - 27-12-2023

(25-12-2023, 07:34 AM)lookoutwales Wrote:  It's probably been asked before but are there any of the Christmas specials missing per se?

Aside from what is known to be missing (primarily the first two pilots and a smattering of episodes from pre 1986) apparently the 1987 Christmas Special of which you mention was missing, as Challenge put out their own appeal at the time:
https://www.facebook.com/ChallengeTV/photos/a.179543715434609/844715875584053/ 

Though it has since been "found" (though more likely it was never "lost" in the first place, probably had the wrong label on it) but I don't think Challenge have shown it. Nor the 1988 special, but they have shown 1984, 1989, 1991 and possible 1992. The 1990 special was when they dressed up for it as characters from Dickens, and there was an interesting article in the Black Country Bugle this week about people who were dragged up to Nottingham for the 1990 special to be in the audience, and everything that could go wrong en-route did!)

RE: Challenge TV - BlueFrog - 28-12-2023

I was rather surprised to see this morning that Challenge were repeating the very first episodes of Blockbusters with the wonderful Bob Holness at 5.am!
(complete with the old Central logo!)

RE: Challenge TV - Tola - 28-12-2023

(28-12-2023, 11:18 AM)BlueFrog Wrote:  I was rather surprised to see this morning that Challenge were repeating the very first episodes of Blockbusters with the wonderful Bob Holness at 5.am!

They've been showing it alongside the 2012 revival too as well (though the latter is in a more sociable timeslot), there doesn't seem to be any further repeat listings for the original series following today though.

Last time the Bob Holness series was on was around the Virgin Media/Flextech era unless if I'm misremembering

RE: Challenge TV - James2001 - 28-12-2023

They must have very quietly reacquired that!

RE: Challenge TV - Juicy Joe - 28-12-2023

(28-12-2023, 11:18 AM)BlueFrog Wrote:  I was rather surprised to see this morning that Challenge were repeating the very first episodes of Blockbusters with the wonderful Bob Holness at 5.am!

Extremely obtuse scheduling! The first 1983 series was last shown on Challenge in 2015 as I have an episode saved on my hard drive. It is preceded by the previous set of Challenge idents and no Central eclipse logo, at least on my recording.

I wonder why Challenge are screening these older, rarely seen episodes for one-off showings at 5am - firstly The Crystal Maze, now Blockbusters? What will end up there next?

This needs to be in an early evening slot ideally!

RE: Challenge TV - bigsy90 - 28-12-2023

Another example of what appears to be a random 5am showing then, alongside Bridge of Lies and The Crystal Maze recently.

Can we still assume these will be making their way to the 'On Demand' section. I see there are a couple programmes on demand but only by doing a search for them i think (Cash in the Attic and Weakest Link were two examples i found). Either that or they will soon gain a more prominent place in the schedule presumably, they clearly have the rights to them.

RE: Challenge TV - WillPS - 28-12-2023

(28-12-2023, 12:28 PM)bigsy90 Wrote:  Another example of what appears to be a random 5am showing then, alongside Bridge of Lies and The Crystal Maze recently.

Can we still assume these will be making their way to the 'On Demand' section. I see there are a couple programmes on demand but only by doing a search for them i think (Cash in the Attic and Weakest Link were two examples i found). Either that or they will soon gain a more prominent place in the schedule presumably, they clearly have the rights to them.

Just speculating - but in my opinion it's more likely they have some sort of rights which would expire completely unless 'activated' in 2023. Hence 1 single episode from each 'series' of The Crystal Maze (the 'Specials' seem to exist as one series, even though that wasn't how they were produced), not including the 2 Tudor-Pole series which presumably are either not held or do not expire in the same fashion.

Not inconceivable that rights were acquired allowing a broadcast by the end of 2023 followed by x repeats within no more than y months/years, in which case Sky have essentially retained the rights for the 'repeat' portion with a few throwaway 5am broadcasts.

Why rights might have been acquired but not used, I couldn't say, but it doesn't seem beyond the realms of possibility.

The On Demand theory would make sense if the Challenge on demand section was updated in any meaningful way and if the series aired in full.