Pres Café
Challenge TV - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Challenge TV (/showthread.php?tid=215)

RE: Challenge TV - eyeTV - 06-01-2024

Haven't Challenge shown Gladiators before?

Thought they might bring that back given the upcoming revival?

RE: Challenge TV - WillPS - 06-01-2024

(06-01-2024, 08:48 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  Haven't Challenge shown Gladiators before?

Thought they might bring that back given the upcoming revival?

Yes, they had it on quite a bit in the 00s. I remember seeing it on Virgin 1 around the time Sky 1 were launching their new series, still in the thick of the Sky/VM dispute, and they were making a thing of it. I presume it was on Challenge around the same time too although I had neither Sky nor VM at that time so couldn't tell you with certainty.

They also had it for a period in the Sky era, I think originally in a weekend teatime slot and then subsequent repeats in less prime slots. I don't really know that the strategy of putting the old/original version of a returning series on has ever really yielded much for Challenge to be honest.

RE: Challenge TV - Neil Jones - 06-01-2024

Ftn aired it as well - that and a chunk of the Challenge programming, in that brief period when it became good before it was closed for Virgin1 Wink

RE: Challenge TV - VMPhil - 06-01-2024

I’m sure Challenge showed it, I remember us discussing the final series that had an odd LWT for ONdigital endcap because it premiered on “First ONdigital”

RE: Challenge TV - WillPS - 06-01-2024

(06-01-2024, 11:09 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  I’m sure Challenge showed it, I remember us discussing the final series that had an odd LWT for ONdigital endcap because it premiered on “First ONdigital”

Yes, they definitely did air the whole lot all the way through a few times 5 or so years ago. I think they may have also aired the Sky 1 series - I want to say earlier on in Sky's ownership tho.

RE: Challenge TV - Happy2001 - 07-01-2024

The Crystal Maze returns from the 22nd January at 6pm.

RE: Challenge TV - mixchris - 07-01-2024

(06-01-2024, 09:52 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Ftn aired it as well - that and a chunk of the Challenge programming, in that brief period when it became good before it was closed for Virgin1 Wink

Off Topic slightly, FTN was a great channel towards the end of its life before morphing in to Virgin 1. It's a shame Flextech initially didn't put a lot of content from Challenge / Trouble on there instead of filling it with the likes of Dilbert and Bob and Margaret.

RE: Challenge TV - BlueFrog - 07-01-2024

FTN was a decent proposal that only worked on paper, in my opinion. The 2-hour Thomas Cook infomercials at startup 6pm alongside 3-hour live quiz shows at 10pm they added later on: it *screams* barker channel.

It was good that they added Challenge gameshows and made an effort towards the last year - but by that point Virgin Media was their next big thing for them, inevitably it was gonna die. And whilst yes some Challenge content was on Virgin 1, it certainly wasn't as often.

A bit like Granada Plus and ITV3 really. Abruptly cut off and then ITV3 practically being its replacement, whilst not even containing half of the stuff that was on Plus. At least NOW they got Classic Emmerdale and Corrie Wink

RE: Challenge TV - callumwatchestelly - 07-01-2024

(07-01-2024, 11:44 AM)Happy2001 Wrote:  The Crystal Maze returns from the 22nd January at 6pm.

Is there any information on if Bridge of Lies is returning this month?

RE: Challenge TV - Rex - 07-01-2024

(07-01-2024, 04:45 PM)BlueFrog Wrote:  FTN was a decent proposal that only worked on paper, in my opinion. The 2-hour Thomas Cook infomercials at startup 6pm alongside 3-hour live quiz shows at 10pm they added later on: it *screams* barker channel.

It was good that they added Challenge gameshows and made an effort towards the last year - but by that point Virgin Media was their next big thing for them, inevitably it was gonna die. And whilst yes some Challenge content was on Virgin 1, it certainly wasn't as often.

A bit like Granada Plus and ITV3 really. Abruptly cut off and then ITV3 practically being its replacement, whilst not even containing half of the stuff that was on Plus. At least NOW they got Classic Emmerdale and Corrie Wink
Ftn was wasted in those first few years especially when the first 2 hrs were just filled with teleshopping. A waste of airtime though they really redeemed themselves showing shows like Takeshi's Castle and the Crystal Maze at 6pm when 2007 came along

It's a shame that didn't last long when VM wanted to fight off the loss of Sky's basics with their own channel. Which didn't really work out in the end, long term