Pres Café
Challenge TV - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Challenge TV (/showthread.php?tid=215)

RE: Challenge TV - WillPS - 07-01-2024

(07-01-2024, 04:45 PM)BlueFrog Wrote:  FTN was a decent proposal that only worked on paper, in my opinion. The 2-hour Thomas Cook infomercials at startup 6pm alongside 3-hour live quiz shows at 10pm they added later on: it *screams* barker channel.

It was good that they added Challenge gameshows and made an effort towards the last year - but by that point Virgin Media was their next big thing for them, inevitably it was gonna die. And whilst yes some Challenge content was on Virgin 1, it certainly wasn't as often.

A bit like Granada Plus and ITV3 really. Abruptly cut off and then ITV3 practically being its replacement, whilst not even containing half of the stuff that was on Plus. At least NOW they got Classic Emmerdale and Corrie Wink
I don't think there were any periods where Ftn had no Challenge content - StakeOUT, TV Scrabble and Defectors to begin with, then later on (their version of) Fort Boyard and I think the first series of Takeshi's Castle were added in too.

They seemed to have a policy of only showing 'acquired for Ftn' (Jay Leno, Dilbert etc - stuff which was cheap) and 'older Flextech originals' (stuff which presumably cost almost nothing to repeat) - it felt very cheap and I think it's highly likely it was just a low commitment toe in the water at the time for Flextech.

In fairness UKTV took exactly the same approach with BrightIdeas, as did EMAP with The Hits and MTV with TMF - even Sky with Sky Travel. Channel 4 moving E4 to Freeview was the trigger in a chain of events leading to those placeholders being activated with content which might actually command an audience, and eventually all being replaced by substantially stronger offers.

I dare say the decision makers who took the punt on Freeview in those pre-launch and early days were pretty happy with how their bets turned out!

RE: Challenge TV - Neil Jones - 08-01-2024

The Ftn shop window was probably a bit skewed towards Bravo and Living, or UK Living or whatever name it had at the time, as I don't really remember much Challenge stuff on it until the final month or so.

They loved Most Haunted though. but I think they only aired Derek Acorah episodes, his subsequent being kicked off that show didn't seem to affect the repeatability of it.

RE: Challenge TV - WillPS - 08-01-2024

(08-01-2024, 09:40 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  The Ftn shop window was probably a bit skewed towards Bravo and Living, or UK Living or whatever name it had at the time

As I say, it was always there, just probably not the content you'd have hoped for, and often not until after midnight either. Challenge always had less original content associated with it than Bravo, Living [TV] and Trouble, so there was quite possibly less by simple virtue of the fact there was less content to throw in the mix when scheduling.

A contemporary post elsewhere shows Defectors on the first night's schedule at 0450.

(08-01-2024, 09:40 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  as I don't really remember much Challenge stuff on it until the final month or so.
Your mind has shrunk it down a wee bit. The Crystal Maze was on from the first week of Jan 2007, and between then and 9 months later when they bowed out/became Virgin 1 they had a constant stream of gameshows on. I think The Crystal Maze got some of the best ever ratings it'd had since airing on Channel 4 in this period.

In the context of a channel which only existed for less than 5 years, 9 months isn't insignificant.

(08-01-2024, 09:40 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  They loved Most Haunted though. but I think they only aired Derek Acorah episodes, his subsequent being kicked off that show didn't seem to affect the repeatability of it.

Most Haunted didn't arrive until 2005 (I think), around the time Fort Boyard (Challenge version) was added.

The main schedule filler I remember from those early Freeview days was old series of Trouble's Cruel Summer/Winter/Holiday.

RE: Challenge TV - WillPS - 11-01-2024

(11-01-2024, 05:26 PM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  Great news! The Crystal Maze is back on Challenge from Monday 22nd January at 6.00pm!

Post #476 on the previous page Wink

RE: Challenge TV - cable - 11-01-2024

ah FTN, Dilbert, Most Haunted and Sexcetera... good times. it got better when it became Virgin1 with star trek and Chuck, The Unit

RE: Challenge TV - lookoutwales - 12-01-2024

Both Bargain Hunt and Cash in the Attic have been ditched relatively quickly (and yes, both shows were afforded trailers, as per the return of The Crystal Maze)

You’d have thought they would have had plenty of episodes to run from both shows to last a few months.

Strike It Lucky and, yes, an extra hour of Bully have taken their place - think that was the schedule before they took on both BBC shows.

They really cannot win with their brand new acquisitions, can they?

RE: Challenge TV - Neil Jones - 12-01-2024

(12-01-2024, 07:08 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  They really cannot win with their brand new acquisitions, can they?

Maybe if they acquire the right shows in the first place they might have more success.

But of course being a commercial outlet its all about the ad revenue, and if re-runs of stuff that is now best part of 30 years old does that s opposed to 20 year old property/antique shows, that's what they'll do.

RE: Challenge TV - Larry the Loafer - 12-01-2024

I still find it perplexing how much they rely on shows that are still showing on their original channels. I recall when they acquired old episodes of Countdown that they ended up dropping it due to poor ratings, which I thought was a shame. But with hindsight, why would most people watch it outside of a quick nostalgia hit when there are new episodes still running on Channel 4? Granted, my theory is completely knackered by their reliance on Pointless, Tenable, and (of course) The Chase.

But, besides The Crystal Maze, I can't remember the last time they acquired the rights to a classic show that doesn't see the light of day anymore. I really hope the backfiring of Bargain Hunt and Cash in the Attic make them reconsider their direction.

RE: Challenge TV - Happy2001 - 12-01-2024

(12-01-2024, 07:08 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Both Bargain Hunt and Cash in the Attic have been ditched relatively quickly (and yes, both shows were afforded trailers, as per the return of The Crystal Maze)

You’d have thought they would have had plenty of episodes to run from both shows to last a few months.

Strike It Lucky and, yes, an extra hour of Bully have taken their place - think that was the schedule before they took on both BBC shows.

They really cannot win with their brand new acquisitions, can they?

Bargain Hunt for up to episode 32 of Series 33 & Cash In The Attic to episode 55 of Series Two according to Now TV.

RE: Challenge TV - Juicy Joe - 12-01-2024

(12-01-2024, 07:08 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Both Bargain Hunt and Cash in the Attic have been ditched relatively quickly
Have they been completely dropped or rested for a few weeks? Dickenson's Real Deal wasn't on over December I don't think, but it's back doing the rounds now. Maybe BH & CITA are taking a break? Scrapheap Challenge is on the case on Sunday mornings when it used to air at 3pm/4pm so it must be doing better there.

To be honest, I did feel Bargain Hunt & Cash in the Attic were strange acquisitions. But again, great news about The Crystal Maze - it has to be said again.