Pres Café
Challenge TV - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Challenge TV (/showthread.php?tid=215)

RE: Challenge TV - RegularCapital - 16-01-2024

(16-01-2024, 07:07 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  I bet a lot of older people still call ITV1 by the old regional names too - likewise in northern Scotland, saying Grampian instead of STV.

Here in the Midlands, I've heard ITV1 being referred to as Central, and even as ATV. A lot of the local news programmes retained their old franchise names, which is probably one of the reasons why.

RE: Challenge TV - Juicy Joe - 23-01-2024

Good to see The Crystal Maze is getting a lunchtime repeat on Challenge. I think it was only showed in the evening when it was last on 6 years ago.

RE: Challenge TV - JMT1985 - 23-01-2024

(23-01-2024, 02:21 PM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  Good to see The Crystal Maze is getting a lunchtime repeat on Challenge. I think it was only showed in the evening when it was last on 6 years ago.

Do Challenge edit anything out of the original transmission? I do see many game shows on Challenge get some edits.

RE: Challenge TV - bigsy90 - 23-01-2024

Is it? I saw it on the listings the other week as a 1pm repeat but when i checked the sky guide the other day i thought they were giving it a 7am slot, replacing one of The Chase showings, which i thought was a good thing personally.

RE: Challenge TV - WillPS - 23-01-2024

(23-01-2024, 02:42 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Do Challenge edit anything out of the original transmission? I do see many game shows on Challenge get some edits.

Yes, every episode has edits - most notably to Richard O'Brien's closing monologue which has been edited out ever since Challenge began airing them.

RE: Challenge TV - Juicy Joe - 24-01-2024

(23-01-2024, 05:27 PM)WillPS Wrote:  Yes, every episode has edits - most notably to Richard O'Brien's closing monologue which has been edited out ever since Challenge began airing them.

When series 2 was repeated on Channel 4 back in the day, I remember the usual longer theme tune ending was edited to a much shorter version with 2 columns of credits. Richard O'Brien's closing remarks were often cut short to a quick overhead view of the dome, "Force Field" abruptly starting halfway through the theme, followed by a sharp fade to the edited credits. This unusual Series 2 editing by Channel 4 is still shown by Challenge to this day.

Series 1 monologues are generally cut short but with the full extended theme. Indeed, tonight's episode ran with ads to 59 minutes long, so Challenge did not have time to show any ads after it and went straight to Weakest Link. I think Series 3 onward doesnt have trimmed ROB's or Ed's closing comments by Challenge. Ed's Series 5-6 episodes are edited at unusual unexpected points during the show for extra ads but it's not a massive issue.

RE: Challenge TV - Johnr - 24-01-2024

The memory that has stuck by me since childhood is the episode in Series 2 where there was a silent start to the credits and a black screen announcing one of the team had sadly died in a motorcycle accident between recording and broadcast

https://youtu.be/do6MwUIAshU?si=1P3X1rQ1KvguAClu&t=2945 

RE: Challenge TV - Juicy Joe - 24-01-2024

(23-01-2024, 03:22 PM)bigsy90 Wrote:  Is it? I saw it on the listings the other week as a 1pm repeat but when i checked the sky guide the other day i thought they were giving it a 7am slot, replacing one of The Chase showings, which i thought was a good thing personally.

Apologies - you are right @bigsy90. The repeat showing is at 7am, not 1pm. My listings magazine was incorrect. Probably to pick up children viewing before school.

RE: Challenge TV - Neil Jones - 24-01-2024

they still air that, the dedication from Series 2 as its part of the episode.. there was another one in I think it was Series 6 but that was probably after the credits and may have been broadcast by Channel 4 playout at the time as that dedication has never been seen since.

RE: Challenge TV - lookoutwales - 24-01-2024

(24-01-2024, 07:15 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  they still air that, the dedication from Series 2 as its part of the episode.. there was another one in I think it was Series 6 but that was probably after the credits and may have been broadcast by Channel 4 playout at the time as that dedication has never been seen since.

There was - on the last show of Series 6 (for team captain Jim Alexander) - and from memory, it was done in a similar style to the dedication notice on Series 2 (for David MacPherson) and edited into the credits.

For some reason, I recall the closing link was slightly different on the original TX from the one that's appeared on the repeats (where Ed mentions it was the very last show in the series)

Actually, if you watch closely Ed's closing links, they sometimes seem to have been edited in from different recording sessions (clue's usually with the number of crystals on Ed's podium) - I'm guessing the running order of each series was decided after production wrapped, hence he would have needed to record separate sign-offs.