Pres Café
Challenge TV - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Challenge TV (/showthread.php?tid=215)

RE: Challenge TV - Neil Jones - 24-01-2024

(24-01-2024, 07:40 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Actually, if you watch closely Ed's closing links, they sometimes seem to have been edited in from different recording sessions (clue's usually with the number of crystals on Ed's podium) - I'm guessing the running order of each series was decided after production wrapped, hence he would have needed to record separate sign-offs.

Are you sure that's not a result of a Virgin edit, as they had form for making incredibly ridiculous edits, and it would not surprise me in the slightest if they just found the shortest Ed outro they could out of the 24 available (as there wouldn't be any point using a "see you next year" one) and tacked it on...

I remember Virgin edited something out of a Bullseye episode during the dartboard credits for some reason and the audio jumped, but it didn't affect the visual. But it was blatantly obvious an edit you have to wonder why it was done.

RE: Challenge TV - Brekkie - 24-01-2024

So obvious in these early episodes the games and players were pre-selected with Richard often having to correct them. Guessing they kind of filmed each zone live rather than refilming those selections.

Rewatching these though makes it even more annoying we only got 10 games in 46 minutes in the revival when they managed 15 in 52 minutes initially. They could have easily had 3 per zone.

RE: Challenge TV - Neil Jones - 24-01-2024

(24-01-2024, 08:50 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  So obvious in these early episodes the games and players were pre-selected with Richard often having to correct them. Guessing they kind of filmed each zone live rather than refilming those selections.

It was never a secret that the whole thing was "fixed" (for want of a better word) in terms of what gets played, but I think the emphasis particularly later on in the Tudor-Pole years was "you have a skill game and we suggest Fred plays it".

Bob Lishman had a website where he documented his time and it told you there plain that it was not a spontaneous decision as to who plays what, so its probably safe to assume it applied in the O'Brien days as well:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160303215005/http://www.boblishman.freeserve.co.uk/thestory.htm  Wrote:all that stuff about "I think we'll have Neil playing a physical game" is about as spontaneous as a wedding service. At the beginning of each zone, you are TOLD which three (or four) games are to be played, ... and a strong recommendation as to who should play them. This 'recommendation' is based upon the information that you gave to them at the original interview

Wouldn't be very good if you gave somebody a game based around words or spelling and they happen to be dyslexic...

RE: Challenge TV - BlueFrog - 25-01-2024

(24-01-2024, 02:00 AM)Johnr Wrote:  The memory that has stuck by me since childhood is the episode in Series 2 where there was a silent start to the credits and a black screen announcing one of the team had sadly died in a motorcycle accident between recording and broadcast

https://youtu.be/do6MwUIAshU?si=1P3X1rQ1KvguAClu&t=2945 

I remember an airing of this episode on Challenge and the voice-over link started when it went silent, speaking over the slate with the following...

'Prepare for a world of pain as TNA Xplosion returns tonight from 10...'

Yeouch.

RE: Challenge TV - rick - 25-01-2024

I chatted to Bob Lishman at one point and helped me with my fan site for The Crystal Maze, seemed like a really nice guy. I also chatted to David Murphy, (a contestant from Series 4) in the mid-00s and he let me interview him about the experience for the site. He even sent me a video he (secretly IIRC) recorded of the dinner the night before recording where the 6 players and Richard had a meal, drank and got to know one another which was really interesting to see.

I'll always remember David telling me his story about his office being in one of the buildings across from the World Trade Centre on September 11th and he saw the first plane hit the tower.

RE: Challenge TV - procrastination - 25-01-2024

I find it ironic that Challenge doesn't cut out things like Pat Sharp on Fun House or Gordon Burns on The Krypton Factor saying they'll see us "next week on CITV/ITV".

I mean it's nice to be reminded of CITV, but it's a bit odd to leave in references to their old time slots given Challenge doesn't air Fun House on a Friday afternoon or Krypton Factor at 7pm on Mondays.

RE: Challenge TV - Gary Baldy - 25-01-2024

(25-01-2024, 08:26 PM)procrastination Wrote:  I find it ironic that Challenge doesn't cut out things like Pat Sharp on Fun House or Gordon Burns on The Krypton Factor saying they'll see us "next week on CITV/ITV".

I mean it's nice to be reminded of CITV, but it's a bit odd to leave in references to their old time slots given Challenge doesn't air Fun House on a Friday afternoon or Krypton Factor at 7pm on Mondays.

Challenge hasn’t aired either of them at all for at least 8 years.

RE: Challenge TV - Neil Jones - 25-01-2024

(25-01-2024, 08:26 PM)procrastination Wrote:  I find it ironic that Challenge doesn't cut out things like Pat Sharp on Fun House or Gordon Burns on The Krypton Factor saying they'll see us "next week on CITV/ITV".

I find it more ironic that they keep airing promotions for Crystal Maze... during Crystal Maze.
Think I might have been fully aware its on at six weekdays considering I'm sitting here at 6:20 on a weekday watching the damn thing...

RE: Challenge TV - bigsy90 - 26-01-2024

Looks like Bridge of Lies starts Monday 12th February, replacing The Weakest Link.

Considering the show is barely 2 years old (if that), have Challenge ever shown anything else that close to the original broadcast? Maybe they have and my memory is just poor.

RE: Challenge TV - Happy2001 - 26-01-2024

(26-01-2024, 11:07 AM)bigsy90 Wrote:  Looks like Bridge of Lies starts Monday 12th February, replacing The Weakest Link.

Considering the show is barely 2 years old (if that), have Challenge ever shown anything else that close to the original broadcast? Maybe they have and my memory is just poor.

They have shown shows that are two or less years old on their schedules (e.g Golden Balls, Pointless, Sign2Win, Wild Things)