Pres Café
Challenge TV - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Challenge TV (/showthread.php?tid=215)

RE: Challenge TV - Neil Jones - 15-02-2024

(15-02-2024, 05:50 PM)Jon Wrote:  Well that’s probably because there’s a lot more of them. I’m pretty sure they have shown episodes from the earlier hosts in the last few years.

To be honest I think if people were to see a random Les Dennis and a Bob Monkhouse episode pop up YouTube, I think most people would be more intrigued by the latter.

Its your classic pub quiz question though - how many hosts of Family Fortunes can you name. Most people will only think three (or four if you include Vernon Kay in the All Star version). If Challenge hadn't picked it up at all it would probably be a fact lost to the mists of time that Monkhouse ever had anything to do with Family Fortunes.

RE: Challenge TV - James2001 - 15-02-2024

It's because of Bob it's even called Family Fortunes! He thought Family Feud sounded too confrontational.

RE: Challenge TV - agemame - 15-02-2024

I was reading recently that one suggestion was to call it Bob's Your Uncle, which kept the family connection, but ultimately they decided against it. Given the fallings out and ultimate departure from it, it was a good job they didn't tie it so closely to him.

RE: Challenge TV - tellyblues - 15-02-2024

Whether it was kept in mind or not, the title Bob's Your Uncle was used for a gameshow Bob hosted in the 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEWT5aZW1-c 

RE: Challenge TV - Neil Jones - 15-02-2024

Bob's Your Uncle was just a rehash of old ideas in new packaging. The endgame was Golden Shot, It's a Knockout was featured somewhere else and a Family Fortunes style game as well. Think it only lasted two series, certainly not one of his better remembered vehicles.

RE: Challenge TV - lookoutwales - 16-02-2024

Too young to have seen it then, but looking at the YT uploads, seems like a real mishmash - parts of a Dutch format here, a Golden Shot ending there, even a separate producer for at least one segment. All feels pretty disjointed.

Some fairly crafty editing on the monologue, mixing in audience shots from months ago with Bob's gags filmed about 24 hours before TX.

On the subject of Bob, just about recall when Challenge managed to get him to co-host The Games Room (their IVC strand of the time) live from Maidstone one evening in 1999 and give away a car ("Challenge TV's biggest prize ever!", he said on the trails - can't recall the make or model but it was fairly standard of the type you could have won on game shows at the time)

Anyone else remember?

RE: Challenge TV - Neil Jones - 19-02-2024

Just noticed a new trailer for "classic" Blockbusters from the beginning of March at 4pm, so they're displacing one Central show for another.

Looks like they're going back to the original series from the look of the set and the look of the board. Another show that was rough round the edges in the early days presentation wise, but the format was solid and much like a lot of gameshows of this era it was more successful internationally than it was in its own country.

RE: Challenge TV - callumwatchestelly - 20-02-2024

(19-02-2024, 08:11 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Just noticed a new trailer for "classic" Blockbusters from the beginning of March at 4pm, so they're displacing one Central show for another.

Looks like they're going back to the original series from the look of the set and the look of the board. Another show that was rough round the edges in the early days presentation wise, but the format was solid and much like a lot of gameshows of this era it was more successful internationally than it was in its own country.

I've got to give the channel some credit right now, Challenge still isn't perfect but they're recently been making some changes for the good. More good Challenge news, Millionaire series 1-4 starts today as well!

RE: Challenge TV - bbctvtechop - 21-02-2024

Just seen the first and second episodes of Millionaire.

1) That prop phone in Phone A Friend only lasted one episode!

2) I'm assuming the £50 notes were fake?

3) ITV pretended the show was live at the time. This is before the Jonathan Ross scandal, after which TV programmes were a lot more careful about live vs pre recorded content.

4) When did Fastest Finger First switch to placing in order rather than just the one correct answer?

RE: Challenge TV - SuperSajuuk - 21-02-2024

(21-02-2024, 12:45 AM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  Just seen the first and second episodes of Millionaire.

1) That prop phone in Phone A Friend only lasted one episode!

2) I'm assuming the £50 notes were fake?

3) ITV pretended the show was live at the time. This is before the Jonathan Ross scandal, after which TV programmes were a lot more careful about live vs pre recorded content.

4) When did Fastest Finger First switch to placing in order rather than just the one correct answer?

2. All the money was real and guarded by security throughout the time the money was visibly displayed. Once the visible cabinet of cash was removed, presumably less security was needed for that side of things.

3. Iirc the episode was recorded the evening before it was broadcast [it would generally take from 9am - 7pm to get everything prepared to record around 9pm or so, and an episode would probably take about an hour or more to record, due to all the pauses to put the hot seats in place, make sure contestants are ready to take to the hot seat, ad breaks etc]. i recall some special episodes were broadcast live (iirc the episode with Perry Poole was a live broadcast, or just a very clever pre-record “as live”), but obviously they were able to speed up some aspects by pre-placing the screens in the center and then eventually the hot seats, just tucked underneath.

4. The “put in order” FFF started from Series 2.