Pres Café
Challenge TV - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Challenge TV (/showthread.php?tid=215)

RE: Challenge TV - James2001 - 06-03-2024

(06-03-2024, 10:39 PM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  I say that, but I notice no Central globes at the start of the shows, which is unusual as Bullseye and Max Bygraves' Family Fortunes often have these kept in.

Does seem to vary though. Some of the Bob Monkhouse FFs they showed either didn't have a Central globe, or it was silent (the applause starting over the globe, so clearly silent on the master tape, not muted by Challenge), I do wonder if sometimes they were played in live.

RE: Challenge TV - Brekkie - 06-03-2024

I thought it aired on different days in different regions so odd the day was referenced.

RE: Challenge TV - Neil Jones - 06-03-2024

As Blockbusters was never networked it's probable the globe only ever appeared when Central were feeding it around the network for local playout and thus it was seen on the original transmissions.

I think the frontcaps were only on stuff that was networked, though I'm probably wrong on that.

When Central did the whole "Central Presents..." followed by an ATV frontcap, that was done live, though it eventually only appeared on the schools programming once all the mainstream stuff ATV had made prior to 1982 had gone out.

Can't remember if Family Fortunes was networked before Les Dennis.

RE: Challenge TV - WillPS - 07-03-2024

(06-03-2024, 11:01 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  As Blockbusters was never networked it's probable the globe only ever appeared when Central were feeding it around the network for local playout and thus it was seen on the original transmissions.

I think the frontcaps were only on stuff that was networked, though I'm probably wrong on that.

When Central did the whole "Central Presents..." followed by an ATV frontcap, that was done live, though it eventually only appeared on the schools programming once all the mainstream stuff ATV had made prior to 1982 had gone out.

Can't remember if Family Fortunes was networked before Les Dennis.

Nah, the ident was definitely baked in on the master tapes. In later series it was quite clearly integrated in to the title sequence, that's not something they'd be able to achieve adding it on in playout. If they didn't want to show the ident they'd simply wind the tape forward past it - I'm sure there's a clip of the Thames ident being wound through during an early CITV somewhere?

The Central Presents ident might have been added on the front of ATV stuff live for a time but I suspect for the schools programming which was often repeated it was added to the front of a new copy of the tape, for simplicity.

Family Fortunes was networked from the start AIUI.

With Family Fortunes, Challenge have a mixture of original tapes intended for UK broadcast (including contestant calls in some cases, with and occasionally without attempts to hide it) and also copies spun off by CTE/Carlton International for non-ITV/international distribution. Probably the same with Blockbusters and accounts for some of the episode-to-episode changes.

RE: Challenge TV - Neil Jones - 07-03-2024

Sorry I meant pre 1986 for Blockbusters. The later Blade Runner style titles used a fade from the globe to the titles, which once they stopped using frontcaps it lost the significance of starting where it did.

RE: Challenge TV - TheGregmeister - 07-03-2024

Speaking of old Family Fortunes, it would be nice to see Challenge show the ATV produced series with the purple and blue version of the original set.

That's assuming any of the original broadcast tapes still exist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAP_knZE1Y 

The original theme tune by Jack Parnell brings back so many memories of Sunday evenings in the early 80s!

RE: Challenge TV - JAS84 - 07-03-2024

Unfortunately, a lot of those episodes were apparently wiped, though Bob Monkhouse did record some which were recovered from his personal collection when he died.
Quote:TV Brain tells us that many of the Bob Monkhouse episodes have been wiped from the archives with 28 of them surviving. These are the episodes that survived:

Series 1: Episode 1
Series 2: Episode 23
Series 3: Episodes 2 & 5
Series 4: Episodes 1-12 & 15-26

Bob Monkhouse on the other hand saved over 80 episodes in his private collection of video cassettes he recorded off-air.
http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Family_Fortunes 
https://www.tvbrain.info/tv-archive?showname=Family+Fortunes&type=lostshow 

RE: Challenge TV - James2001 - 07-03-2024

The TV brain thing has it wrong about series 4, as Challenge showed all 26 episodes.

RE: Challenge TV - JAS84 - 07-03-2024

Are you certain? It's only saying two are missing.

RE: Challenge TV - James2001 - 07-03-2024

I guess it's been possible that the lost shows database has been updated since the quoted UK Gameshows article made those claims, and it was likely not accurate to begin with. There's so much misinformation about what is and isn't lost, and rumours and conjecture easily become passed around as "fact". The missing episodes forum, while responsible for a lot of stuff being tracked down, is also completely full of chinese whispers, outdated information and outright nonsense being confidently passed around on there as "fact".

I imagine quite often it's a case of someone on these forums talking to some intern who doesn't really know what they're looking for, only makes a half-hearted search through a messy cataloguing system, if they even make one at all, and when they can't find it, it instantly becomes declared as "wiped". Not to mention the recent conflation with "lost media", which most of the time isn't actually lost, just unavailable (I've recently seen the entire 5 series run of a show from the mid-90s, that the broadcaster certainly still had in their archives the late 00s, being declared as "wiped" on there, likely because someone on there saw it on a "lost media" list). There's a couple of particularly bad offenders on where who often confidently declare things as "wiped" and it gets taken as gospel. And then seem suprised when clearly broadcast quality copies of this "wiped" material turns up.

The Big Breakfast archive going from "the tapes are there, but most clips aren't being sold because it needs properly cataloguing" being chinese whispered within a couple of years into "the vast majority of episodes are wiped" is probably the most prominent example.