Pres Café
BBC Local Radio - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: BBC Local Radio (/showthread.php?tid=218)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

RE: BBC Local Radio - Steve in Pudsey - 24-04-2023

Just an aside, BBC "Head of Yorkshire" sounds like something from W1A

RE: BBC Local Radio - Stooky Bill - 24-04-2023

He won't be the only one to leave in such circumstances, he's just the first to announce it, which apparently they've been told not to yet.

Remember that except for Saturday sport most local stations will only have 10 mainstream programmes a week (breakfast and mid morning so will only need 2 full time presenters.

I don't think most of their listeners realise the extent of the cuts yet. I noticed a newspaper in Bristol doing a big story on how many of Radio Bristol's presenters are going. I wonder when the penny will drop in the next few weeks

RE: BBC Local Radio - Spencer - 24-04-2023

This video caught my eye today, criticising in no uncertain terms the BBC LR management. What’s interesting is it’s clearly been done by someone internally with access to the BBC News video templates.

https://twitter.com/nickyhorne/status/1650548027063672832?s=46&t=118mt-31gBN-8Ts8pwH4Vw 

RE: BBC Local Radio - Will - 24-04-2023

(24-04-2023, 09:24 PM)Spencer Wrote:  This video caught my eye today, criticising in no uncertain terms the BBC LR management. What’s interesting is it’s clearly been done by someone internally with access to the BBC News video templates.

https://twitter.com/nickyhorne/status/1650548027063672832?s=46&t=118mt-31gBN-8Ts8pwH4Vw 

Still manages more consistent branding than the news channel.

RE: BBC Local Radio - Steve in Pudsey - 25-04-2023

Wonder if we'll see more of this kind of thing
https://twitter.com/LucyABeaumont/status/1650821667797581826 
https://twitter.com/LucyABeaumont/status/1650823919996108800 

RE: BBC Local Radio - Former Member 406 - 27-04-2023

(24-04-2023, 07:20 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Remember that except for Saturday sport most local stations will only have 10 mainstream programmes a week (breakfast and mid morning so will only need 2 full time presenters.
I'm not having a go at you, Stooky Bill, but you've highligted something that massively irritates me...

When the current structure of mostly 4-hour programmes all day was first introduced in 2020, the EPGs etc simply gave the programme names as e.g. "Breakfast on BBC Radio Bristol", "Evenings on BBC Radio Bristol" etc.

In the case of the 10am-2pm programme, it was listed as "Mid-Morning on..." (which I guess is why Stooky Bill is now referring to it as such).

I would like to know in which alternative dimension anything after midday contitutes still being "mid-morning". Also, surely even some/all of the first two hours would be better described as "LATE morning" as well as the latter two hours obviously being "lunchtime".

I'm thankful that the programmes are generally now listed simply by presenter name, which eliminates the utter idiocy of a programme being officially called "Mid-Morning" when at least 3 quarters of its duration sodding well isn't mid-morning. I would welcome the opportunity to slap the person(s) who came up with the "Mid-Morning on..." name for a slot that goes on until 2pm in the first place. Halfwit(s).

RE: BBC Local Radio - Robert Williams - 27-04-2023

(27-04-2023, 07:49 AM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  
(24-04-2023, 07:20 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Remember that except for Saturday sport most local stations will only have 10 mainstream programmes a week (breakfast and mid morning so will only need 2 full time presenters.
I'm not having a go at you, Stooky Bill, but you've highligted something that massively irritates me...

When the current structure of mostly 4-hour programmes all day was first introduced in 2020, the EPGs etc simply gave the programme names as e.g. "Breakfast on BBC Radio Bristol", "Evenings on BBC Radio Bristol" etc.

In the case of the 10am-2pm programme, it was listed as "Mid-Morning on..." (which I guess is why Stooky Bill is now referring to it as such).

I would like to know in which alternative dimension anything after midday contitutes still being "mid-morning". Also, surely even some/all of the first two hours would be better described as "LATE morning" as well as the latter two hours obviously being "lunchtime".

I'm thankful that the programmes are generally now listed simply by presenter name, which eliminates the utter idiocy of a programme being officially called "Mid-Morning" when at least 3 quarters of its duration sodding well isn't mid-morning. I would welcome the opportunity to slap the person(s) who came up with the "Mid-Morning on..." name for a slot that goes on until 2pm in the first place. Halfwit(s).
On Radio Sussex and Radio Surrey the 10am-2pm slot does sometimes get described on air as the 'Daytime' show, which might be an improvement on 'Mid-Morning', if less specific.

When those schedules were first set up, the 2-6pm slots were initially described as 'Drive on...' before quickly being changed to 'Afternoons on...', presumably either because someone thought it was ridiculous to have 'drivetime' starting at 2pm (which it indeed is), or else because it was at the start of the first lockdown and we weren't supposed to be driving anywhere, at least not unnecessarily.

RE: BBC Local Radio - Toby brown - 27-04-2023

Does anybody know when these changes are meant to come in. I think they were originally meant to begin place by now in the East but maybe the backlash delayed it a bit

RE: BBC Local Radio - JAS84 - 27-04-2023

(24-04-2023, 01:40 PM)Dadeki Wrote:  BBC Radio Humberside presenter David Burns is to leave the station, announcing his departure on Twitter after apparently being told that he 'won't be needed'. He has released the following statement:

www.twitter.com/bbcburnsy/status/1650424358517587969 

This doesn't make sense - his show airs in the 10am to 2pm slot, and it's the post-2pm slots which are getting nationalised, right? He should've been safe. Did they fire him because giving someone else the timeslot will be cheaper? It's backfiring anyway, due to the negative publicity and the fact it's already impacted Look North.

RE: BBC Local Radio - Toby brown - 27-04-2023

(27-04-2023, 10:25 AM)JAS84 Wrote:  
(24-04-2023, 01:40 PM)Dadeki Wrote:  BBC Radio Humberside presenter David Burns is to leave the station, announcing his departure on Twitter after apparently being told that he 'won't be needed'. He has released the following statement:

www.twitter.com/bbcburnsy/status/1650424358517587969 

This doesn't make sense - his show airs in the 10am to 2pm slot, and it's the post-2pm slots which are getting nationalised, right? He should've been safe. Did they fire him because giving someone else the timeslot will be cheaper? It's backfiring anyway, due to the negative publicity and the fact it's already impacted Look North.
Shows between 2pm and 10pm will regional. On Sunday it will be national after 2pm