Pres Café
BBC Local Radio - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: BBC Local Radio (/showthread.php?tid=218)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

RE: BBC Local Radio - Brekkie - 27-04-2023

(27-04-2023, 10:25 AM)JAS84 Wrote:  
(24-04-2023, 01:40 PM)Dadeki Wrote:  BBC Radio Humberside presenter David Burns is to leave the station, announcing his departure on Twitter after apparently being told that he 'won't be needed'. He has released the following statement:

www.twitter.com/bbcburnsy/status/1650424358517587969 

This doesn't make sense - his show airs in the 10am to 2pm slot, and it's the post-2pm slots which are getting nationalised, right? He should've been safe. Did they fire him because giving someone else the timeslot will be cheaper? It's backfiring anyway, due to the negative publicity and the fact it's already impacted Look North.

All presenters were techically given the option to apply for the new breakfast and daytime slots, just like when Global axed all their breakfast shows but in many cases it was the drivetime presenters axed with the breakfast hosts moving to the slot.

RE: BBC Local Radio - Steve in Pudsey - 27-04-2023

(27-04-2023, 07:49 AM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  
(24-04-2023, 07:20 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Remember that except for Saturday sport most local stations will only have 10 mainstream programmes a week (breakfast and mid morning so will only need 2 full time presenters.
I would like to know in which alternative dimension anything after midday contitutes still being "mid-morning". Also, surely even some/all of the first two hours would be better described as "LATE morning" as well as the latter two hours obviously being "lunchtime".

Is it a Partridge reference? (Accidental or otherwise)

RE: BBC Local Radio - Dadeki - 27-04-2023

BBC staff fear losing their redundancy pay if they speak out about local radio cuts, a Hull MP has said.

Dame Diana Johnson told the Commons that broadcasters such as David Burns had been subject to “gagging clauses”. She said she was “absolutely furious” that stations such as Radio Humberside were "essentially being trashed" by the cuts.

Under the BBC plans, a total of 39 local stations will broadcast less local content and will instead share more with neighbouring stations or national services. The BBC argues the changes will "modernise" services, provide more news journalists and create a “stronger local online service”.

Hull Live

RE: BBC Local Radio - Toby brown - 27-04-2023

Apparently the strike for next Friday is off. The BBC have made some more changes to the proposals including local weekend breakfast shows for London and Manchester I read this on another forum but can't see it being reported anywhere

RE: BBC Local Radio - Brekkie - 27-04-2023

I'm doubt that legally redundancy pay can be conditional.

More here on the strike being called off but does feel like the horse has not just already bolted but been shot as well.

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2023/04/bbc-local-radio-strike-suspended-and-mp-blasts-bbc-management/ 

RE: BBC Local Radio - Former Member 406 - 27-04-2023

(27-04-2023, 03:27 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  
(27-04-2023, 07:49 AM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  I would like to know in which alternative dimension anything after midday contitutes still being "mid-morning". Also, surely even some/all of the first two hours would be better described as "LATE morning" as well as the latter two hours obviously being "lunchtime".

Is it a Partridge reference? (Accidental or otherwise)
Is *what* a Partridge reference, exactly?

"Mid-Morning"?

Or some other part of the 44 words of mine that you've quoted there?

I wouldn't know a Partridge reference if it hit me over the head, as my viewership of Alan Partridge (and/or Steve Coogan) material is about zero.

RE: BBC Local Radio - Steve in Pudsey - 27-04-2023

Yes, Partridge's radio show is called "Mid Morning Matters".

(27-04-2023, 05:56 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I'm doubt that legally redundancy pay can be conditional.

More here on the strike being called off but does feel like the horse has not just already bolted but been shot as well.

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2023/04/bbc-local-radio-strike-suspended-and-mp-blasts-bbc-management/ 

Statutory redundancy pay can't, but a voluntary severance scheme with enhanced packages can have strings attached.

RE: BBC Local Radio - TJTSW - 27-04-2023

on Radio Devon Fitz was between 10am - 2pm and hes been made redundant - he ended up in hospital the next day with heart issues now Pippa Quelch has now been off air for a few weeks her show between 2pm & 6pm, but havent heard her on air for a while and she had some time off before then,

These radio changes are going to break the local radio at the BBC, i made a complaint to the BBC to say,

you make out you want to go more online and digital, but for the older folk who have a radio in the corner of their room to keep them company each day with a friendly voice who they know and love, your going to replace with some young upstart who think they are on a national commercial radio station will sound alien to them.

all i got back was some waffle about they want to invest in online and digital

I Give up, so I've switched off, gone to East Devon Radio / DevonAir Gold (DAB in the car when signal allows)

RE: BBC Local Radio - Brekkie - 28-04-2023

What I don't get too is they make a very clear effort with Radio 2 and Radio 1 (and indeed 5 Live) to appeal to a younger generation every few years but that isn't the case with BBC Local Radio and this move to focus on "digital" content is not doing anything to bring younger audiences to local radio itself. Yes, the younger we are the more we may consume global content - but I also think younger generations can get quite engaged in local issues too when given the opportunity.

Outside of football commentary I must admit as much as I don't agree with these cuts my listening of BBC Local Radio is very low - I find it very painful to listen too and on Radio Wales at least far too often it's a lengthy conversation between a host and a caller as if you're listening into a private conversation you've actually little interest in.

Now perhaps there is an argument doing more on a regional basis could result in higher quality shows, and the old doing less is more argument regarding local content by making what remains more focused and of a higher quality - but the BBC aren't pushing that agenda at all.

Global often gets criticised for their local content basically being a national playlist with generally national/international talking points but just with a local voice - but the strength of that is you see no drop in quality at all between the hosts of the national slots and the local slots. Whilst there are some outstanding local BBC DJs across the country I'm sure I do find the quality of that talent on Radio Shropshire and even Radio Wales noteably lower than on the national stations.

RE: BBC Local Radio - Steve in Pudsey - 28-04-2023

That's a fair point, but isn't there an element of apples and oranges in comparing the BBC to Global, the license fee existing to do things that the commercial sector couldn't.

One of the local chemical factories here did it's annual siren test last week, designed to warn residents of any incident. The advice is if you hear the siren to get inside, close doors and windows and listen to Radio Leeds.

This ancillary public service angle doesn't seem to be getting reflected in the argument. Next time York floods will Radio York have the staff to cover it properly?