Pres Café
BBC Local Radio - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: BBC Local Radio (/showthread.php?tid=218)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

RE: BBC Local Radio - WMD - 01-11-2023

(01-11-2023, 07:35 PM)Toby brown Wrote:  Is there a chance that some BBC local stations will be more local over the next few days like staying local overnight because of the weather or  is it unlikely

In fairness, Solent went local for a couple of hours last Saturday after local flooding, rather than staying with the regional mid-morning with Berks/Oxford. So it does still happen.

RE: BBC Local Radio - Andrew - 02-11-2023

(01-11-2023, 09:59 PM)TJTSW Wrote:  Local Radio would be in its element tonight keeping people upto date with whats going on, watching Spolight, they just mention their 'online teams' rather then  your local radio station....

A lot of the veteran presenters who date from the news & talk era are being let go, being replaced by presenters who play music in between talking about Strictly. At many stations I doubt there is anyone left who could cope with a many hours open ended broadcast and actually do it justice

RE: BBC Local Radio - NickyBoy - 02-11-2023

(02-11-2023, 12:03 AM)Andrew Wrote:  A lot of the veteran presenters who date from the news & talk era are being let go, being replaced by presenters who play music in between talking about Strictly. At many stations I doubt there is anyone left who could cope with a many hours open ended broadcast and actually do it justice

I agree with this. The likes of Andrew Edwards on Radio Leeds will be missed when there's a need for special programmes to cover weather related events etc. I believe Andrew finishes this weekend, which is a shame. I don't think any of the presenters left behind could carry an open ended show with lots of information coming in.
I gave up on checking in on local radio for news of such events when I tuned in earlier this year when there was bad snow fall one morning and all Radio Leeds were doing were playing clips from Instagram!

RE: BBC Local Radio - all new phil - 02-11-2023

(02-11-2023, 11:26 AM)NickyBoy Wrote:  I agree with this. The likes of Andrew Edwards on Radio Leeds will be missed when there's a need for special programmes to cover weather related events etc. I believe Andrew finishes this weekend, which is a shame. I don't think any of the presenters left behind could carry an open ended show with lots of information coming in.
I gave up on checking in on local radio for news of such events when I tuned in earlier this year when there was bad snow fall one morning and all Radio Leeds were doing were playing clips from Instagram!

What’s with the assumption that only older presenters are capable of doing anything? Plenty of young talent in radio.

RE: BBC Local Radio - NickyBoy - 02-11-2023

(02-11-2023, 12:07 PM)all new phil Wrote:  What’s with the assumption that only older presenters are capable of doing anything? Plenty of young talent in radio.

There is plenty of young talent in radio, I agree. However there also seems to be a lot of people who struggle to do anything more than the usual speed links, promoting the latest bangers or the latest showbiz story. They don't have the experience of the older presenters who have worked in local radio for a long time, from the days when it wasn't music based, it was more journalistic, speech based. 

I've worked in radio for over 20 years, and I wouldn't be able to do that kind of long, open-ended, information heavy show, which the likes of Andrew Edwards have done repeatedly, as my background is music radio rather than speech radio. It's a vastly different skill, which not every presenter has. That's my opinion anyway.

RE: BBC Local Radio - Toby brown - 02-11-2023

Plans for an all england Sunday afternoon show have been paused until September next year
https://radiotoday.co.uk/2023/11/conditional-offer-made-by-the-bbc-to-end-local-radio-strikes-and-industrial-action/ 

RE: BBC Local Radio - Steve in Pudsey - 06-11-2023

All change in Yorkshire, with Andrew Edwards signing off after 30 years on Radio Leeds yesterday and Howie Pressman on Sheffield on Friday after 38 years in broadcasting.

Toby Foster started his regional afternoon show today, an interesting decision to just launch in without introducing himself to the rest of Yorkshire. Not your typical local radio afternoon show, I thought it was an entertaining listen but I could see it being a bit marmite with the wider audience.

RE: BBC Local Radio - Toby brown - 14-11-2023

The full new line Up for the South West has been announced and hardly anyone from radio devon has got a show. Even the local shows haven't been given to local presenters instead they have been given to people from radio stoke yes stoke and radio Wiltshire
BBC Radio Devon

Weekday schedules (launches Monday 27 November)

Breakfast (6am–10am) – John Acres

Daytimes (10am–2pm) – Caroline Densley

Afternoons (2pm–6pm) – David White 

Evenings

Monday (6pm–10pm) – Anoushka Williams

Tuesday – Friday (6pm–10pm) – Dan Pascoe

Weekends (launches early 2024)

Breakfast (6am–10am) – Mel Osborne

Daytimes (10am–2pm) – Jack Murley

Saturday Afternoons and Evenings

Saturday Afternoons (2pm–6pm) – Sport with James Vickery

Saturday Evening (6pm–10pm) – Upload and Introducing with Dan Pascoe (Repeat)

Sunday Afternoons

Sunday Afternoons (2pm–6pm) – Toby Buckland

BBC Radio Cornwall

Weekday schedules (launches Monday 27 November)

Breakfast (6am–10am) – James Churchfield

Daytimes (10am–2pm) – Julie Skentelbery

Afternoons (2pm–6pm) – David White

Evenings

Monday (6pm–10pm) – Anoushka Williams

Tuesday – Friday (6pm–10pm) – Dan Pascoe

Weekends (launches early 2024)

Breakfast (6am–10am) – Mel Osborne

Daytimes (10am–2pm) – Jack Murley

Saturday Afternoons and Evenings

Saturday Afternoons (2pm–6pm) – Sport with Ross Ellis.

Saturday evening (6pm–10pm) – Upload and Introducing with Dan Pascoe (Repeat)

Sunday Afternoons

Sunday Afternoons (2pm–6pm) – Toby Buckland

RE: BBC Local Radio - RhysJR - 14-11-2023

NUJ members have voted overwhelmingly in favour of a new deal with the BBC over local eadio and TV, ending strike action. 

https://www.nuj.org.uk/resource/nuj-members-vote-to-accept-bbc-local-offer.html 

https://pressgazette.co.uk/news/bbc-local-cuts-nuj-deal-accepted/ 

RE: BBC Local Radio - lookoutwales - 14-11-2023

A hollow 'victory', to be honest, considering what the average listener or viewer has lost out on.

The NUJ action - when they struck - was more effective in disrupting regional TV than local radio.