Pres Café
Irish TV News Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Irish TV News Discussion 2.0 (/showthread.php?tid=227)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Irish TV News Discussion 2.0 - TVenthusiasm - 06-11-2022

TVLF: https://www.tvliveforum.com/showthread.php?tid=33

Thought I'd start a new thread to keep the discussion going.

Not really noted by anyone, but I noticed that Virgin Media News are using a updated studio background for a few weeks now:

[Image: virginmediaone2022-11-06_17h00_40.png]

[Image: virginmediaone2022-11-06_16h59_50.png]

How it used to look:
[Image: virginmediaone2022-09-19_18h33_35.png]

RE: Irish TV News Discussion 2.0 - Teilifís - 06-11-2022

Thanks for setting it up, I probably should've done so sooner since I did over at the purple place!

To add to the discussion, RTÉ Radio 1's This Week (which usually comes from the same studio as Morning Ireland and the News at One) is now coming from a very modern and telly friendly studio as of the past few weeks. The aforementioned other shows haven't yet started to broadcast from it yet, so I'm assuming they're using This Week as the pilot show before changing things up. A vast improvement on the dark dungeon they've been using (and will, no doubt, be beneficial for the clips used on social media and on RTÉ Television News)

[Image: Fc70A_QWQAEqPSc?format=jpg&name=small]

RE: Irish TV News Discussion 2.0 - Clean Feed - 06-11-2022

That's not a bad looking radio studio.

Still can't believe they're persevering with that awful TV news channel. 

RTE One at breakfast has been dire for years. Why not put Morning Ireland there? And the pointless duplication of kids programmes on RTE 2 during breakfast and daytime remains a bizarre anomaly.

Ordinarily, not a huge fan of radio shows on TV but when you're as strapped for cash as RTE, it's a decent option.

RE: Irish TV News Discussion 2.0 - Teilifís - 06-11-2022

(06-11-2022, 08:00 PM)Clean Feed Wrote:  That's not a bad looking radio studio.

Still can't believe they're persevering with that awful TV news channel. 

RTE One at breakfast has been dire for years. Why not put Morning Ireland there? And the pointless duplication of kids programmes on RTE 2 during breakfast and daytime remains a bizarre anomaly.

Ordinarily, not a huge fan of radio shows on TV but when you're as strapped for cash as RTE, it's a decent option.

Isn't it just? This pic is from the first week of use, but it has has a few tweaks as the editions go by and it seems to be at its best now. Hopefully we'll see it move to MI/NAO soon!

Don't start me on that - it's so poor that the national broadcaster doesn't make any effort for breakfast telly, usually using the excuse that radio is so strong anyway. Ireland AM on VMTV isn't perfect, but it does the job. Morning Edition was a good show, but didn't last. RTÉ One really needs to think of a schedule of Morning Ireland (7-9am), a 1 hour filler programme (9-10am), RTÉ Radio 1's Today with Claire Byrne simulcast (10am-12pm), then another hour till the news (I'd argue they should stream the radio news instead...) Instead, it's a repeat of yesterday's Today programme. 

Meanwhile the News Channel serves little purpose...it cuts into Claire Byrne's show for Mass at 10:30am every day, or a when there is one too many sporting fixtures, they shove a match on there.

RE: Irish TV News Discussion 2.0 - JMT1985 - 07-11-2022

I have just checked on the RTE website to see what RTE One will offer their licence fee paying viewers for breakfast television tomorrow Tuesday 8th November 2022, and I was shocked at the dross they put on air. Is this really what they air?

6.00am - A simulcast of Euronews
6.40am - Teleshopping
7.50am - A repeat of the previous afternoon's Today show, which is apparently a magazine show aired in the afternoon on RTE One
9.50am - A repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, which has ended now in America
10.45am - Dr Phil
11.40am - Iarnród Enda, "Enda Kenny presents a celebration of people, landscape and belonging as he explores the long-abandoned railway routes of Ireland, beginning with Waterford to Dungarvan" a repeat of a documentary
12.10pm - The BBC drama Doctors
12.45pm - Something called Telly Bingo from the Irish National Lottery.

And then it seems the first televised news bulletin of the day on RTE One is their One O'Clock News.

And the Irish population have to pay €160 a year to fund this???

RE: Irish TV News Discussion 2.0 - Rdd - 08-11-2022

That is what they air in that time slot, yes. To be fair to them, that is one time slot, and a time that not many are watching tv. Those that are have Ireland AM and BBC Breakfast. They won’t run news at breakfast time because they are mad scared of canibalising Morning Ireland. They tried a wierd “late breakfast” format a few years back (it aired between 9-11am) and it didn’t really work.

Also they do show parliamentary coverage (Leaders Questions, basically our PMQs) in the morning when the Dail is in session.

RE: Irish TV News Discussion 2.0 - cando - 08-11-2022

Why would they waste valuable resources on a dead slot? Some of you guys need to live in the real world.

RE: Irish TV News Discussion 2.0 - Teilifís - 08-11-2022

(08-11-2022, 10:35 AM)Rdd Wrote:  That is what they air in that time slot, yes. To be fair to them, that is one time slot, and a time that not many are watching tv. Those that are have Ireland AM and BBC Breakfast.  They won’t run news at breakfast time because they are mad scared of canibalising Morning Ireland. They tried a wierd “late breakfast” format a few years back (it aired between 9-11am) and it didn’t really work.

Also they do show parliamentary coverage (Leaders Questions, basically our PMQs) in the morning when the Dail is in session.

It's a real catch 22 situation. As a whole, Irish people love the radio. Hence why the schedule on radio is at its strongest on both national and local radio during the morning and mid mornings. I genuinly think the best offering they could do would be a visualised Morning Ireland on RTÉ One instead of only on the news channel. As mentioned above, the other two hours could be used for the other filler programmes if they so wish (again...why the hell is Ellen still on...?_ but 12pm is usually for Leaders Questions on Tuesdays & Wednesday anyway.

I believe (but also open to correction) there is also a union issue at RTÉ television preventing an on air show before 9am. Must find a source for that, but I recall it being said around the time Morning Edition was launched...

RE: Irish TV News Discussion 2.0 - Superman1986 - 08-11-2022

Do we know if RTÉ One & RTÉ2 gets a new looks soon?, it’s very overdue

RE: Irish TV News Discussion 2.0 - MFTJA - 08-11-2022

(08-11-2022, 12:05 PM)Superman1986 Wrote:  Do we know if RTÉ One & RTÉ2 gets a new looks soon?, it’s very overdue
As much as I agree that the channels are quite dated looking, posts like these just get tedious. If an insider or someone else has valuable information to share regarding a rebrand/refresh, that'd be interesting to hear, but diving into the "is X going to be rebranded soon?" territory is quite boring.