Pres Café
Irish TV News Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Irish TV News Discussion 2.0 (/showthread.php?tid=227)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Irish TV News Discussion 2.0 - JMT1985 - 20-01-2023

Is the Late Late Show now just a show to feature RTE stars? I have been looking at the guest list each week online, and it is appalling. RTE presenters clog up the guest list. Very few big stars and it seems to me this show is weakening every year.

RE: Irish TV News Discussion 2.0 - Rdd - 20-01-2023

A lot of the time, sadly, yes, RTE does use it as a promotional vehicle for its other shows and a lot of guests on the show are on-screen talent at RTE. By no means exclusively, mind you, but you get the impression that they go to the internal well quite often to fill the shows air time (and the show quite often goes off air not long after 11pm these days instead of staying on till nearly midnight as used to be the case).

RE: Irish TV News Discussion 2.0 - JMT1985 - 20-01-2023

I remember in the old days of Gay Byrne as host, Channel 4 would air an edited repeat, usually in the 5pm Monday slot, and in 52 minutes, they would show the best of the previous Friday night's edition, and they nearly always had one big named guest who we knew here in Britain, either a well known British or American celebrity, or an Irish personality known in both the UK and Ireland.

I used to like watching those editions on Channel 4, out little taste of Irish television. I remember, when they would have The Late Late Show phone number on screen, it was either blurred out, or if it did come on screen, Channel 4 would add a little note to not ring the number.

I think Channel 4 aired The Late Late Show from 1984 until around 1996, dropping it in favour for Montel Williams shows

RE: Irish TV News Discussion 2.0 - Rdd - 20-01-2023

(20-01-2023, 09:18 AM)bkman1990 Wrote:  Katie Hannon will be a guest tonight on The Late Late Show with Ryan Tubridy. She will be chatting to Ryan about her new current affairs series 'Upfront with Katie Hannon' which will begin on Monday night on RTÉ One.

It begins Monday week, rather than this Monday . Interestingly there was some brief discussion on it in the Late Late interview that seemed to indicate that the format is basically the old Questions and Answers format back (Q&A, in turn, was essentially exactly the same format as the BBC’s Question Time except without the touring aspect).

RE: Irish TV News Discussion 2.0 - bkman1990 - 20-01-2023

The launch date for Upfront with Katie Hannon will be on January 30th. It will be a nod to Questions & Answers but with live debate fused into within the show.

It's debate from the studio programme then spread to online via the RTÉ Upfront website and social media for the rest of that shows agenda every week.

Katie Hannon has said the set for this programme is nearly finished. But it won't be launched until the 30th which is 10 days time.

There was also 2 old photos of herself appearing on Questions and Answers with John Bowman and the panel while it had its red set a good number of decades ago. They weren't very good quality on the screen though. But it was good that bit of nostalgia from that time period.

What year did that red set for Questions and Answers appear for RTÉ?

RE: Irish TV News Discussion 2.0 - Rdd - 21-01-2023

The red set would be mid 2000s vintage. Certainly not the one I remember from the 1990s, which like most current affairs shows in those days would have been blue. There was at least one more set after the red one, a purple-ish one.

RE: Irish TV News Discussion 2.0 - bkman1990 - 31-01-2023

Upfront with Katie Hannon had it's first broadcast on RTÉ One after Crimecall on Monday night.

The topics discussed on the 1st show was about Asylum seekers in Direct Provision, The Housing Crisis and thoughts about banning homework for children in Ireland.

The set looks really good although it has darker colours than what is seen on Prime Time. The set has a rectangular desk coloured in teal green and blue with light brown chairs.

There are new lower thirds coloured in Green. The typeface used on them is different. The older lower third graphics for Claire Byrne Live and Monday Night Live are now longer in use.

There are also new graphics displayed on a new graphic template which is displayed from a new camera angle from the middle of the new set. They are there for people who ask questions to the panel via social media. The graphics coloured in Blue and look really decent.

The music beds for this programme are also completely new. They are present at the very start of the programme even before and after the titles. They sound much more authorative than Claire Byrne Live.

RE: Irish TV News Discussion 2.0 - Rdd - 31-01-2023

It’s mostly Questions and Answers though. I mean with less questions, and more audience participation than I remember Q&A having - a bit more like Pat Kenny’s Frontline. But far more than the “nod” to Q&A suggested - they basically took the Q&A format wholesale and made some tweaks.

One of the oddest tweaks being a “It was the week…” cold open at the start. I mean, it’s Monday night, people have stopped looking back at last week at that stage.

RE: Irish TV News Discussion 2.0 - Superman1986 - 31-01-2023

Was Monday Night Live cancelled already?

RE: Irish TV News Discussion 2.0 - Rdd - 31-01-2023

The RTE position is that it was never intended to run any more than eight weeks, effectively a stop gap while a new format (or in this case, a rehashing of an old format) was developed. It did have the look of a “pilot season” anyway, trying out a different host each week, a bit like Saturday Live did in the light entertainment area back in the day.