Pres Café
BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia (/showthread.php?tid=24)

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - Dougal - 04-05-2023

(24-04-2023, 03:49 PM)DTV Wrote:  In October 1988, the Summaries moved with the Nine O'Clock News and Weekend News to the new larger newsroom set that was located where Studio N3 had been (whether this was located near the original newsroom set is unclear).

I was under the impression that the same newsroom studio was used in both instances - but that it was enlarged when the Nine and Weekend moved.

If you look at the behind this scenes video, the corridor and entrance from which Terry Wogan walks at the start looks to be the same as the one in the first screen grab from Newsroom Revolution. When Michael Buerk goes on set to prepare for the bulletin, it to be the same area but has been expanded (8:15 in on the video).

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - DTV - 04-05-2023

(04-05-2023, 12:05 PM)Dougal Wrote:  
(24-04-2023, 03:49 PM)DTV Wrote:  In October 1988, the Summaries moved with the Nine O'Clock News and Weekend News to the new larger newsroom set that was located where Studio N3 had been (whether this was located near the original newsroom set is unclear).
I was under the impression that the same newsroom studio was used in both instances - but that it was enlarged when the Nine and Weekend moved.

If you look at the behind this scenes video, the corridor and entrance from which Terry Wogan walks at the start looks to be the same as the one in the first screen grab from Newsroom Revolution. When Michael Buerk goes on set to prepare for the bulletin, it to be the same area but has been expanded (8:15 in on the video).
Very likely to have been the case, I was just adding a bit of uncertainty in my original post as I haven't seen it confirmed. The space is clearly larger post-1988, though I'm not entirely sure if they took over all of N3 or not, and even then I don't think N3 was a particularly big studio (all major news programming used N1 or N2 in mid-1980s).

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - Newsroom - 04-05-2023

(04-05-2023, 12:14 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(04-05-2023, 12:05 PM)Dougal Wrote:  I was under the impression that the same newsroom studio was used in both instances - but that it was enlarged when the Nine and Weekend moved.

Very likely to have been the case, I was just adding a bit of uncertainty in my original post as I haven't seen it confirmed. The space is clearly larger post-1988, though I'm not entirely sure if they took over all of N3 or not, and even then I don't think N3 was a particularly big studio (all major news programming used N1 or N2 in mid-1980s).

@Dougal - you are correct. I've been travelling and didn't have access to my archive. The space was the same space used in this video, but expanded and upgraded. All THREE desks had a leather covering. The 'BASYS' systems were stuck under the desk for the main bulletins and left on the desk during summaries.

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - Newsroom - 04-05-2023

(04-05-2023, 12:14 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(04-05-2023, 12:05 PM)Dougal Wrote:  I was under the impression that the same newsroom studio was used in both instances - but that it was enlarged when the Nine and Weekend moved.

So knowledgeable DTV! Would you happen to know if there's an image of N2 from the time the 6 and 9 shared the same space. They utilised two similar though distinctly different desks. Indeed both were designed without the need for 'Basys' units yet updated out to include them shortly after.

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - JMT1985 - 04-05-2023

That 1994 strike was a rare thing to happen, as strikes come the 1990s were few and far between.

Studio N2 simply had the basic backdrop set up, as there was no Breakfast News that day, and so having the basic set was easy for them, as I think the 1pm, 6pm and 9pm bulletins were all reduced format on that day.

(04-05-2023, 03:58 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Would you happen to know if there's an image of N2 from the time the 6 and 9 shared the same space. They utilised two similar though distinctly different desks. Indeed both were designed without the need for 'Basys' units yet updated out to include them shortly after.
Do you mean the One and the Nine? As far as I'm aware, other than for the first six months (during N1's refurb), the Six remained in N1 until 1993 with the One and Nine occupying N2 during the mid-1980s. If so, there's definitely a shot of both N2 sets in one of the behind the scenes documentaries above.

As mentioned above by DTV, the 1pm and 9pm news bulletins shared Studio N2 from 1986 until 1988, as the 9pm News left N2 in October 1988 and took up home in the newsroom studio N3 from Halloween night 1988.

So not quite a long time in sharing a studio together for the 1pm and 9pm News, around two years in total.

(04-05-2023, 06:32 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  As mentioned above by DTV, the 1pm and 9pm news bulletins shared Studio N2 from 1986 until 1988, as the 9pm News left N2 in October 1988 and took up home in the newsroom studio N3 from Halloween night 1988.
A small thing, but I don't think the newsroom set was known as N3 during that era - even though it was partially built on the site of the original N3 and a second N3 was later installed in its place, my understanding is that it wasn't really regarded as a separate studio so much as an 'extension' of N2 as it lacked its own gallery (after decomissioning, N3's gallery was initially used as the home to News' graphics engines and was later repurposed as the gallery for WSTV News' studio).

(04-05-2023, 07:44 PM)HiDTV Wrote:  
(04-05-2023, 06:32 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  As mentioned above by DTV, the 1pm and 9pm news bulletins shared Studio N2 from 1986 until 1988, as the 9pm News left N2 in October 1988 and took up home in the newsroom studio N3 from Halloween night 1988.
A small thing, but I don't think the newsroom set was known as N3 during that era - even though it was partially built on the site of the original N3 and a second N3 was later installed in its place, my understanding is that it wasn't really regarded as a separate studio so much as an 'extension' of N2 as it lacked its own gallery (after decomissioning, N3's gallery was initially used as the home to News' graphics engines and was later repurposed as the gallery for WSTV News' studio).

Hi, well the people I have spoken with who worked at BBC Television Centre from 1988 to 2000 said to be they referred to that studio as N3, so I am just taking what they told me. Some of them worked in the spur block, where the news studios were located back then until the news moved into Stage 6 in 1998. 

I loved it when one of them told me how really small that newsroom studio was and how basic it was. When you see the 1988 to 1993 newsroom look on screen, it does look solid, but in his words it was all held together with gaffer tape LOL.

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - chris - 04-05-2023

I’m sure this has been asked before, but was there ever a N4 or N5?

I know there was never an N7 to avoid confusion with TC7.