Pres Café
BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia (/showthread.php?tid=24)

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - CurrentlyQuang - 06-08-2023

Hello everyone, I was curious when is it that BBC News explicitly dropped dual presenters in favor of singular ones and occasional guests? From my original assumptions, I thought this was already done back in 2013 but apparently this still occurred as recently as 2017-2018.
(First time posting here instead of lurking so hope I got the right thread!)

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - DTV - 06-08-2023

(06-08-2023, 05:18 PM)CurrentlyQuang Wrote:  Hello everyone,  I was curious when is it that BBC News explicitly dropped dual presenters in favor of singular ones and occasional guests? From my original assumptions, I thought this was already done back in 2013 but apparently this still occurred as recently as 2017-2018.
(First time posting here instead of lurking so hope I got the right thread!)
Double-headed presentation on the News channel was phased out gradually between 2013 and 2017. The evening shift went single-headed upon the move to NBH (when it was shortened), the midday shift went single-headed in mid-2014, the morning shift from March 2015 (just ahead of the launch of Victoria Derbyshire), with the afternoon shift holding out until July 2017. The only other shift that was ever regularly doubled-headed was the weekend late shift, which had become single-headed at the start of 2011.

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - CurrentlyQuang - 06-08-2023

(06-08-2023, 05:31 PM)DTV Wrote:  Double-headed presentation on the News channel was phased out gradually between 2013 and 2017. The evening shift went single-headed upon the move to NBH (when it was shortened), the midday shift went single-headed in mid-2014, the morning shift from March 2015 (just ahead of the launch of Victoria Derbyshire), with the afternoon shift holding out until July 2017. The only other shift that was ever regularly doubled-headed was the weekend late shift, which had become single-headed at the start of 2011.

I see, thank you for the information. While some might view it as redundant now, I weirdly have some fondness for it. Perhaps it will be back someday.

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - VMPhil - 06-08-2023

It's something that goes in and out of fashion. In a few years they'll all start doing double headed presentation again. I agree, I prefer it.

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - Spencer - 07-08-2023

(06-08-2023, 10:20 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  It's something that goes in and out of fashion. In a few years they'll all start doing double headed presentation again. I agree, I prefer it.
I think the current move away from double headed presentation has been driven more by cost cutting rather than by fashion.

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - DTV - 07-08-2023

(07-08-2023, 08:48 AM)Spencer Wrote:  I think the current move away from double headed presentation has been driven more by cost cutting rather than by fashion.
Yes, though it's one of those 'cost-cutting' measures that happens to be a visible way of cutting back, while not actually saving much money - especially considering they basically relied on presenters leaving of their own accord or being moved elsewhere to allow for the reduction in roles; IIRC, the redunancy round wasn't until 2017.

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - Worzel - 12-08-2023

Some rare overnight double headed presentation from News 24/World.

7:30 includes a TOTH. I forgot they used to super impose the location of DTL guests on the studio screens in N8 during that era.

https://youtu.be/FHLvM3a00RA 

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - itsrobert - 13-08-2023

I wasn't a fan of those replacement Iraq War titles they had. I thought they were a bit uninspired and a poor substitute for the usual Lambie-Nairn titles.

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - Brekkie - 13-08-2023

(06-08-2023, 10:20 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  It's something that goes in and out of fashion. In a few years they'll all start doing double headed presentation again. I agree, I prefer it.
Especially as the current trend elsewhere (not so much at the BBC) is solo presenters doing shorter solo shifts.   At some point execs will see 2 presenters co-hosting a 3 hour shift as a cost saving on 3 presenters doing an hour each.

Did BBC World ever have double headed presentation though - from what I've seen it's almost always been solo, but traditionally was more of a bulletin every hour rather than rolling news so that made sense.

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - Jon - 13-08-2023

(13-08-2023, 09:16 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Especially as the current trend elsewhere (not so much at the BBC) is solo presenters doing shorter solo shifts.   At some point execs will see 2 presenters co-hosting a 3 hour shift as a cost saving on 3 presenters doing an hour each.
Then someone will decide 1 presenter doing a 3 hour shift is cheaper. Then double headed presentation will be brought in when AI technology is at a level where the viewer can’t tell the difference and we have AI News readers that don’t cost much.