Pres Café
BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia (/showthread.php?tid=24)

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - DTV - 13-08-2023

(13-08-2023, 09:16 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Did BBC World ever have double headed presentation though - from what I've seen it's almost always been solo, but traditionally was more of a bulletin every hour rather than rolling news so that made sense.
Yes and no. Co-presentation in two locations has a long history - starting with the main evening World Business Report in 2000, then the London-Washington bulletin, then the 03:00 UKT World News Today, and, more recently, Newsday and 100 Days. There was also a brief period of summary newsreaders for some of the branded programmes after the 2010 relaunch, but that didn't last.

Traditional double-headed presentation - i.e., two presenters of roughly equal footing in the same studio - has had fleeting appearances - at least one programme had two presenters in the mid-1990s, the 10:00 hour was doubled-headed between July 2008 and February 2010 and the 22:00 edition was double-headed between March 2011 and June 2012. I guess you could count The World Today/Euro Breakfast as double-headed, but it never really was.

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - Newsroom - 13-08-2023

(13-08-2023, 09:16 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Especially as the current trend elsewhere (not so much at the BBC) is solo presenters doing shorter solo shifts.   At some point execs will see 2 presenters co-hosting a 3 hour shift as a cost saving on 3 presenters doing an hour each.

Did BBC World ever have double headed presentation though - from what I've seen it's almost always been solo, but traditionally was more of a bulletin every hour rather than rolling news so that made sense.
The World Today was double headed from as far back as I can remember but I may be wrong.

Would anyone know who designed the sets that were introduced during the Lambie Nairn/Ivory years?

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - KatsKaravan - 13-08-2023

(13-08-2023, 09:44 AM)Newsroom Wrote:  The World Today was double headed from as far back as I can remember but I may be wrong.

It seems it was, and it wasn't. The 7pm London edition with Donald McCormick and Nici Marx was double-headed, but other editions had a main presenter/side presenter format (I think a regular pair for this was Stephen Cole and Nisha Pillai, respectively).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHYHsSKEQ5w 

https://www.tvforum.co.uk/thenewsroom/bbc-news-nostalgia-45484/page-8 

When the beeps came in The World Today was axed, then it came back roughly 18 months later. Again there were two presenters, but one took care of news and the other, business. That format lasted until about 2019? It outlasted the World Today brand, anyway.

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - AaronLancs - 13-08-2023

(13-08-2023, 11:29 AM)Newsroom Wrote:  Would anyone know who designed the sets that were introduced during the Lambie Nairn/Ivory years?

I don't know if they did them all (N6 - BBC One / N8 - BBC News 24 / N9 - BBC World). But Martin Lewis Design were the ones that did the BBC News 24 set design. Here is the render for the initial 1999 N8 set that I saved on to my Google Drive some time ago. Knew it would come in handy some day. They also did a render of what would become the N8 2003 set as well but I haven't got that render unfortunately:

[Image: Martin%20Lewis%20Design%20-%20BBC%20News...raphic.jpg]

(13-08-2023, 02:26 PM)AaronLancs Wrote:  I don't know if they did them all (N6 - BBC One / N8 - BBC News 24 / N9 - BBC World). But Martin Lewis Design were the ones that did the BBC News 24 set design. Here is the render for the initial 1999 N8 set that I saved on to my Google Drive some time ago. Knew it would come in handy some day. They also did a render of what would become the N8 2003 set as well but I haven't got that render unfortunately:

[Image: Martin%20Lewis%20Design%20-%20BBC%20News...raphic.jpg]

Thanks so much for this. 

I do seem to remember seeing it this on a previous forum. Finding further reference to this is slightly difficult to the retirement of Martyn Lewis in 1999 and the new prominence of the Martin Lewis (money saving expert), not to mention that it was 'Martin' Lambie Nairn that initially conceptualised the 'rebrand'. 

Unfortunately I can't find any other mention in the archives of tvforum.

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - Stuart - 13-08-2023

(13-08-2023, 02:26 PM)AaronLancs Wrote:  I don't know if they did them all (N6 - BBC One / N8 - BBC News 24 / N9 - BBC World). But Martin Lewis Design were the ones that did the BBC News 24 set design. Here is the render for the initial 1999 N8 set that I saved on to my Google Drive some time ago. Knew it would come in handy some day. They also did a render of what would become the N8 2003 set as well but I haven't got that render unfortunately
I do remember someone on the Blue Place providing examples of their progress developing a very accurate and well researched 3D rendering of this set in N8.  It was a remarkable piece of work which took them a great deal of time.

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - KatsKaravan - 13-08-2023

(13-08-2023, 09:16 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Especially as the current trend elsewhere (not so much at the BBC) is solo presenters doing shorter solo shifts.   At some point execs will see 2 presenters co-hosting a 3 hour shift as a cost saving on 3 presenters doing an hour each.

Did BBC World ever have double headed presentation though - from what I've seen it's almost always been solo, but traditionally was more of a bulletin every hour rather than rolling news so that made sense.
Not-so-fondly remembering Sky's approach from 15 years ago of having Dermot Murnaghan and Kay Burley hosting 'solo' for 4 hours each... but then having the likes of Colin Brazier, Emma Crosby and other '2nd-tier' presenters popping up every so often with the news in brief. It was as if someone high up at Sky News wasn't keen on the idea of going fully single-headed, so used this awkward halfway house style.

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - DTV - 13-08-2023

(13-08-2023, 12:50 PM)KatsKaravan Wrote:  It seems it was, and it wasn't. The 7pm London edition with Donald McCormick and Nici Marx was double-headed, but other editions had a main presenter/side presenter format (I think a regular pair for this was Stephen Cole and Nisha Pillai, respectively).

When the beeps came in The World Today was axed, then it came back roughly 18 months later. Again there were two presenters, but one took care of news and the other, business. That format lasted until about 2019? It outlasted the World Today brand, anyway.
The World Today has a complicated history. At the launch of BBC World in 1995, there was one edition of The World Today - 18:00-20:00 UKT. With the March 1997 schedule change, it was one of only two brands to survive upon the rebranding of many slots as Newsdesk (though with an edition of the new HARDtalk now broadcast at 19:30).

Then with the October 1997 relaunch, the other branded slots were renamed The World Today or axed. At this point, there were four editions of the programme a day, which had varying degrees of longevity.
- 06:00-07:30 UKT; with Philip Hayton; originally Newsday; "an essential briefing", included Europe Today. Axed March 1998.
- 11:00-12:30 GMT; with Nik Gowing and news from Nisha Pillai; originally Newsdesk; included Europe Today, Viewpoint and Postcards from Asia and Europe. Axed April 2000.
- 13:30-14:30 GMT; with Stephen Cole and news from Nisha Pillai; originally Newshour Asia Pacific; "specially tailored for viewers in Asia". Axed April 2000.
- 18:00-19:30 UKT; with Donald MacCormick and Nici Marx; "The day's most comprehensive news bulletin", included Europe Today. Axed December 1999.

As you say, the name was resurrected a year-and-a-half later, as part of a new business-oriented 'European Breakfast' schedule from September 2001. The World Today comprised the first hour of this schedule, with 30 minutes of news presented by Martine Dennis and 30 minutes of business presented by Tanya Beckett. The two did crop up in the other's half-hour, but, again as you say, I wouldn't call it double-headed in the traditional sense. The branding was dropped in April 2008 and the slot was slightly reformatted in February 2010, with WBR reduced to 15 minutes and a news review (which was double-headed) taking up the last 15-minutes. This was rebranded as The Briefing in 2017, at which point the hour was reduced to a single presenter.

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - Newsroom - 14-08-2023

(13-08-2023, 04:46 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I do remember someone on the Blue Place providing examples of their progress developing a very accurate and well researched 3D rendering of this set in N8.  It was a remarkable piece of work which took them a great deal of time.

Would really like to find out who did come up with this set design. The BBC used a hell of a lot of wood deploying that set (in particular the desk) not only across the UK, but around the World with many incarnations over the years. It still exists in off camera bureaus such as NYC for example.