Pres Café
BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia (/showthread.php?tid=24)

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - DTV - 05-12-2023

(05-12-2023, 09:34 PM)steve Wrote:  I still can’t get my head around how badly this was handled. Presumably Mandela was a Cat 1 which justified immediate interruption but the way it happened was just bizarre.

I wonder if the much more elegant way of interrupting programmes and going straight to news bypassing pres (as with DofE and when Buck Palace put out statement re QEII health) was partly a result of this shambles.

If they’d just run as normal for that 11 minutes into Huw at 10 it would have been immeasurably better.
Especially odd considering that when Thatcher (who must have been in the same category) died a few months earlier, that was confirmed about 10 minutes before the News at One, but sensibly BBC One waited for that to start rather than interrupt. Of course, when Callaghan died, BBC One waited about an hour to even air a short newsflash because they didn't want to deaden the lead-in to the first episode of new Doctor Who, outright refusing News' protests about protocol for former PMs. 

Clearly, (non-royal) obit procedure is not entirely rigid, with final decision making resting with whoever is on duty at BBC One.

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - AaronLancs - 09-12-2023

Got another weird question. With this title sequence and others of this era. How were the locations chosen? As they seem quite a random allocation of notable places featured in the broadcast region.

https://tvark.org/north-west-tonight-titles-clean 

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - Mike - 10-12-2023

(09-12-2023, 08:59 PM)AaronLancs Wrote:  Got another weird question. With this title sequence and others of this era. How were the locations chosen? As they seem quite a random allocation of notable places featured in the broadcast region.

https://tvark.org/north-west-tonight-titles-clean 

I've always thought it was random, I've never been sure if that design was sent out as a kit of parts (remember the larger regional centres at the time would've had a network graphics department under the Resources/MediaArc umbrella) or if they were produced centrally by L-N...

I personally think they were produced as and when needed by L-N (and suspect the speed at which the rollout happened was to allow for rendering time and design choices), and this was done by L-N, as a lot of regions had places on borders, not in their region, included (Crawley being on South Today's titles, but actually coming under Newsroom South East and then BBC London is one I spotted). 

The reason I say these were centrally produced is some of the stylistic choices, how the orientation of the transmission pulses and locations appear varies according to the shape of the map of the broadcast region, so with the exception of the opening shot, everything else is unique to that region to an extent. If it was a simple 'here's your template, add your map and places, press render' workflow like 2008 was, everything would be identical, shot for shot, across all regions. 

In 2008 a template/workflow was produced to enable the regions to simply modify the programme name, locations and footage and render their own (though I suspect the first iteration were again centrally produced, Midlands Today received some complaints that 'Leamington Spa' lost it's 'Royal' title, and swiftly added it in). Times changed a lot since 1999 though, much of the news rebrand was done in Smoke/Flame and took weeks to produce, and I'd guess if many of the assets were the same, the regional titles would be no exception.

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - AaronLancs - 10-12-2023

Thanks, just that as someone who has gone down a rabbit hole of BBC News Nations & Regions circa 1999 I've always thought it fascinating by the placements of the location names and what locations were chosen.

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - DTV - 10-12-2023

(09-12-2023, 08:59 PM)AaronLancs Wrote:  Got another weird question. With this title sequence and others of this era. How were the locations chosen? As they seem quite a random allocation of notable places featured in the broadcast region.
Weren't Network, News 24 and World titles based on the location of BBC studios and bureaus? Is there any industry connection between them - locations of BBC offices, transmitters?

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - Steve in Pudsey - 10-12-2023

(05-12-2023, 09:34 PM)steve Wrote:  
If they’d just run as normal for that 11 minutes into Huw at 10 it would have been immeasurably better.

It feels like it was as late decision for BBC One to join the News Channel, and they were already into the Presidential statement. I don't know if there is a facility in the news galleries to do a voiceover only on the output going to BBC One at short notice? That might have helped to soften the crash.

Or just given the CA a better script. "This is BBC One. We are interrupting Mrs Brown's Boys to join the BBC News Channel, where President Zuma of South Africa is making a statement about the health of Nelson Mandela."

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - Brekkie - 10-12-2023

I guess one advantage with the downscaling of the news channel now is you'd think such an announcement would likely come from the BBC1 team, especially a few minutes before a bulletin, than just a crash into the news channel now.

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - Transmission - 10-12-2023

(05-12-2023, 11:20 PM)DTV Wrote:  Clearly, (non-royal) obit procedure is not entirely rigid, with final decision making resting with whoever is on duty at BBC One.

Even with royal obits and how set in stone they appear to be, there's always been a bit of fluidity when it comes to things happening during certain big sporting events like a World Cup or Six Nations for example. Certainly when it comes to the lower categories of obits, things like whether there's a big new programme or an old repeat on are taken into account.

(10-12-2023, 11:00 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  It feels like it was as late decision for BBC One to join the News Channel, and they were already into the Presidential statement. I don't know if there is a facility in the news galleries to do a voiceover only on the output going to BBC One at short notice? That might have helped to soften the crash.

I understand the particular circumstances that messed that one up were that all the plans being made were based on assurances about an embargoed release or some sort of heads-up in advance. The decision would have already been made that BBC One must be interrupted for the announcement of the news, but of course not for just a health update, and the one thing that definitely wasn't going to happen - the news being announced in a statement with no forewarning of what was going to be in it - is what ended up happening. The continuity into it was famously not great, but that gives an idea of what would have been going on.

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - Mike - 10-12-2023

(10-12-2023, 10:23 AM)DTV Wrote:  Weren't Network, News 24 and World titles based on the location of BBC studios and bureaus? Is there any industry connection between them - locations of BBC offices, transmitters?

Looking at the Midlands Today titles of the era, I doubt it - there's no BBC office in Solihull, and the NWT ones there isn't a BBC office in Bolton.

I think it's probably a case of someone looking at a UK street atlas for the larger locations in each region and picking places that are big enough population wise to appear on them?

Again, some choices smack of someone not knowing the transmission/editorial locations for each region (Gloucester and Cheltenham are on the fringe of Bristol and Birmingham's patch for instance, and appeared on both the Midlands and West titles of the era)

Edit: I'm going to say after many years of looking at presentation stuff, I've only just noticed the locations are laid out in geographical proximity to one another, and aren't as randomly placed as I thought... Hence why Gloucester and Cheltenham appear in the top right of the Points West titles and bottom left of the Midlands Today titles.

RE: BBC News Pres: Nostalgia - Brekkie - 10-12-2023

(10-12-2023, 01:29 PM)Mike Wrote:  Edit: I'm going to say after many years of looking at presentation stuff, I've only just noticed the locations are laid out in geographical proximity to one another, and aren't as randomly placed as I thought... Hence why Gloucester and Cheltenham appear in the top right of the Points West titles and bottom left of the Midlands Today titles.
An era when such attention to detail was a matter of course.