Pres Café
Sky Platform News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Industry News, Technology and Facilities (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Sky Platform News (/showthread.php?tid=249)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: Sky Platform News - RDJ - 20-11-2023

It also doesn’t include ad skipping which is usually included for free for the first year.

So when you add that on, it ends up being the same price as usual.

RE: Sky Platform News - Larry the Loafer - 20-11-2023

Here's me wondering why they haven't started including HD for free after 17 years, all the while they're putting the basic luxury of fast forwarding adverts behind a paywall. Why does premium digital television feel like it's getting, well... worse?

RE: Sky Platform News - London Lite - 22-11-2023

(20-11-2023, 10:57 PM)RDJ Wrote:  It also doesn’t include ad skipping which is usually included for free for the first year.

So when you add that on, it ends up being the same price as usual.

They ended up giving me ad skipping free for four months, which isn't as great as when it launched. The perk of the ad skipping feature is it gives you ad-free content on ITVX (which for some reason has a weird font on the Stream app), Channel 4 (app) and My5 which is worth the £5 when you add the £3.99 you'd pay for C4 and to be able to watch My5 without ads.

Now you can pay £8 on Sky Q for HD or £5 for ad-skip on Stream/Glass.

Overall as someone who hasn't had Sky HD+ or Q who used NOW to access Sky channels, this is an upgrade, although I'm keeping NOW for Cinema as it's cheaper than the £13 add-on Sky is asking for, although I could get Paramount+ and 2 free Vue Cinema tickets every month for it.

RE: Sky Platform News - Keith - 24-11-2023

(22-11-2023, 06:46 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Overall as someone who hasn't had Sky HD+ or Q who used NOW to access Sky channels, this is an upgrade, although I'm keeping NOW for Cinema as it's cheaper than the £13 add-on Sky is asking for, although I could get Paramount+ and 2 free Vue Cinema tickets every month for it.
It seems with NOW if you go through the cancel process for each service you get a reduced price offer for 6 months (or 3 for boost). It did this a few months ago with the initial promo period ended for TV, Cinema and boost. I've just done it again for the Boost and on the penultimate cancellation screen got the 3 month reduced price offer again.

RE: Sky Platform News - Rdd - 24-11-2023

I’m not sure if it’s the same in the UK but in Ireland discount codes for Now are ten a plenty, there’s very little reason for anyone to be paying full price for it. As long as that continues there’s little reason to go back to Sky in my book - I miss being able to record, particularly overnight NFL, but that is really the only downside.

RE: Sky Platform News - London Lite - 24-11-2023

(24-11-2023, 03:41 PM)Rdd Wrote:  I’m not sure if it’s the same in the UK but in Ireland discount codes for Now are ten a plenty, there’s very little reason for anyone to be paying full price for it. As long as that continues there’s little reason to go back to Sky in my book - I miss being able to record, particularly overnight NFL, but that is really the only downside.

It's very easy to get retention deals for NOW in the UK as well. While I have Stream, I've kept NOW for Sky Cinema which I pay £3.99pm for instead of £9.99 and the Boost Membership (3 simultaneous streams, 1080p HD and 5.1) for £2 instead of £6.

For the monthly add ons on Sky, such as the Sports, Cinema, HD (Q only), UHD or ad removal for Sky Stream, you can go into My Sky, cancel them and there are also discounts to be had.

Incidentally Stream does seem to have the best PQ, even for the SD channels. It's surreal being able to watch True Crime Xtra for example in decent quality SD rather than blurry vision on Freeview.

It appears HD is 1080p/50fps and SD 720x576/50fps across the board. Compared to NOW with boost, 50fps is only avaliable on Sky Sports linear channels and across VOD.

You also don't get the rectangle DOG in the bottom right hand corner on Sky Sports channels that I can get on the base pack which is Racing, Mix and News. Sky Go on the other hand uses them for non Sky channels, even for the likes of GB News!

RE: Sky Platform News - gottago - 24-11-2023

Weirdly whenever I’ve had Now in the past and gone through the cancellation process on my account I’ve never been offered anything whereas my housemate always gets some massive bargain on his!

RE: Sky Platform News - cable - 29-11-2023

Sky confirms SD switch off. https://cleanfeed.thetvroom.com/19700/news/sky-confirms-wider-switch-off-of-sd-channels-coming-in-2024/ 

RE: Sky Platform News - London Lite - 29-11-2023

So moving to DVB-S2 will allow them to continue some SD channels like Challenge I suspect so it can continue on Freesat and some of the paywall entertainment channels, which allows them to continue with their £9 HD charge for Q and HD+ customers.

I'd speculate it'll be Sky branded Entertainment channels that start to go HD first only such as Nature where watching in HD would be the most benefit but wouldn't be as noticeable as if they went for Showcase or Max first.

RE: Sky Platform News - JamieMurph25 - 29-11-2023

(29-11-2023, 08:53 PM)London Lite Wrote:  So moving to DVB-S2 will allow them to continue some SD channels like Challenge I suspect so it can continue on Freesat and some of the paywall entertainment channels, which allows them to continue with their £9 HD charge for Q and HD+ customers.

I'd speculate it'll be Sky branded Entertainment channels that start to go HD first only such as Nature where watching in HD would be the most benefit but wouldn't be as noticeable as if they went for Showcase or Max first.
I would say Sky Atlantic would be the likely channel to go HD only, since that channel is only for those on Sky or with a NOW entertainment membership.