Pres Café
Sky Platform News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Industry News, Technology and Facilities (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Sky Platform News (/showthread.php?tid=249)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: Sky Platform News - Larry the Loafer - 29-11-2023

God forbid they'd consider including a 17 year-old picture enhancement as standard with their packages.

RE: Sky Platform News - cable - 29-11-2023

(29-11-2023, 09:34 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  God forbid they'd consider including a 17 year-old picture enhancement as standard with their packages.
Rumbled, price rise incoming!  Got to offset the loss of the HD charge somehow Big Grin

RE: Sky Platform News - Rdd - 30-11-2023

Sounds like the aim of the game in Sky’s case is not to discontinue SD at all, but rather to break the older Sky boxes that don’t support DVB-S2. Or am I being cynical on that front?

RE: Sky Platform News - Jimbo2022 - 30-11-2023

Does look like a switch from DVBS to DVBS2 so yes it would simply stop older SD only boxes from working but nit the end if SD transmissions entirely

RE: Sky Platform News - Kunst - 30-11-2023

This has done by Sky Germany already and is being done in. two phases on Sky Italia starting next week, so NO SURPRISE there

RE: Sky Platform News - i.h - 30-11-2023

(30-11-2023, 10:18 AM)Rdd Wrote:  Sounds like the aim of the game in Sky’s case is not to discontinue SD at all, but rather to break the older Sky boxes that don’t support DVB-S2. Or am I being cynical on that front?

to be fair, people have had, what, 17 years to upgrade. It's surprising that Sky have "supported" them for so long. Last time I used one it was unusably slow anyway.

I suppose the question is whether Sky would permit a second hand HD box to be swapped in place of an SD box, or whether everyone must go to Q no matter what. I believe it's a free upgrade anyway?

I presume these Sky channels are available in HD too, so what is the purpose of continuing with the SD versions albeit on DVB-S2? Do they still charge that tenner a month for HD? It's been a long time since I was a subscriber.

RE: Sky Platform News - Kunst - 30-11-2023

(30-11-2023, 11:24 AM)i.h Wrote:  to be fair, people have had, what, 17 years to upgrade. It's surprising that Sky have "supported" them for so long. Last time I used one it was unusably slow anyway.

I suppose the question is whether Sky would permit a second hand HD box to be swapped in place of an SD box, or whether everyone must go to Q no matter what. I believe it's a free upgrade anyway?
I don't understand what they're waiting, the switch to "all HD" has been done by Sky Italia has already, and I think the same has been done by Sky Germany.

I understand there are more complications and that Sky UK has more HD channels, probably (although both have been getting there), but c'mon, it's 2023, they're not even trying

harshy - harshy - 30-11-2023

(30-11-2023, 11:24 AM)i.h Wrote:  to be fair, people have had, what, 17 years to upgrade. It's surprising that Sky have "supported" them for so long. Last time I used one it was unusably slow anyway.

I presume these Sky channels are available in HD too, so what is the purpose of continuing with the SD versions albeit on DVB-S2? Do they still charge that tenner a month for HD? It's been a long time since I was a subscriber.
I am on a very basic package I don’t get HD Sky Channels though so I am guessing the £10 HD Charge is still a thing.

RE: Sky Platform News - London Lite - 30-11-2023

(30-11-2023, 12:49 PM)harshy Wrote:  I am on a very basic package I don’t get HD Sky Channels though so I am guessing the £10 HD Charge is still a thing.

It's currently £9pm for satellite customers. Stream/Glass get HD free.

RE: Sky Platform News - Nick Harvey - 30-11-2023

(30-11-2023, 01:41 PM)London Lite Wrote:  It's currently £9pm for satellite customers.
Threaten to leave and you get HD for £4 a month.