Pres Café
Sky Platform News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Industry News, Technology and Facilities (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Sky Platform News (/showthread.php?tid=249)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: Sky Platform News - WillPS - 25-12-2023

(25-12-2023, 10:58 AM)Former Member 237 Wrote:  HMV is your friend!

Every movie I like I get it on physical media.

I’m not 100% but I’d image the lack of apps is deliberate as they want you to get sky?

This is my working assumption too, but it actually puts me off investing in anything inside their walled garden.

I'm really coming around again to the idea of just buying the content I want to watch again and again, on some physical media which I can watch however/whenever. As well as stuff doing a vanishing act, there's a discernable difference in picture quality, even at the same resolutions, particularly when comparing 4k via Netflix/Amazon to 4k Blus.

RE: Sky Platform News - Former Member 237 - 25-12-2023

(25-12-2023, 12:37 PM)WillPS Wrote:  This is my working assumption too, but it actually puts me off investing in anything inside their walled garden.

I'm really coming around again to the idea of just buying the content I want to watch again and again, on some physical media which I can watch however/whenever. As well as stuff doing a vanishing act, there's a discernable difference in picture quality, even at the same resolutions, particularly when comparing 4k via Netflix/Amazon to 4k Blus.

It starts to get really obvious especially when they start editing stuff. It’s pretty rare atm but I noticed one movie was cut by streamers. And they are planning to insert product placement in movies also. It’s a new hell as they say these days, so it has to be physical if it’s possible in my mind. This is only the start of what is coming with streaming, at least for your favourite movies. I still stream stuff, but it’s get purchased asap if it’s one I enjoy a lot.

RE: Sky Platform News - Neil Jones - 25-12-2023

(25-12-2023, 07:30 PM)Former Member 237 Wrote:  It starts to get really obvious especially when they start editing stuff. It’s pretty rare atm but I noticed one movie was cut by streamers. And they are planning to insert product placement in movies also. It’s a new hell as they say these days, so it has to be physical if it’s possible in my mind. This is only the start of what is coming with streaming, at least for your favourite movies. I still stream stuff, but it’s get purchased asap if it’s one I enjoy a lot.

You do realise Product Placement in film isn't a new thing?

You don't think James Bond had those Aston Martins by accident do you?

You don't think they nicked all the gold in The Italian Job because everybody in the gang happened to be fond of Mini Coopers and just wanted to drive one before they chucked them off the cliff?

etc.

RE: Sky Platform News - Former Member 237 - 25-12-2023

(25-12-2023, 10:24 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  You do realise Product Placement in film isn't a new thing?

You don't think James Bond had those Aston Martins by accident do you?

You don't think they nicked all the gold in The Italian Job because everybody in the gang happened to be fond of Mini Coopers and just wanted to drive one before they chucked them off the cliff?

etc.

Yes, but they will be using AI to insert stuff into the movie. I.e the movie will be changed.

RE: Sky Platform News - Technologist - 25-12-2023

Mirriad has been doing automated object replacement for product placement for years …
What we would now say was AI ….
https://www.mirriad.com/ 
It is very impressive … now let alone say over 10 years ago .

The same tech can also localise movies ..
like replace all posters in a shot with them in the local language …

RE: Sky Platform News - WillPS - 26-12-2023

(25-12-2023, 11:24 PM)Technologist Wrote:  Mirriad has been doing automated object replacement for product placement for years …
What we would now say was AI ….
https://www.mirriad.com/ 
It is very impressive … now let alone say over 10 years ago .

The same tech can also localise movies ..
like replace all posters in a shot with them in the local language …

I guess the point is that if you purchase an optical disc capable of playing the film without an internet connection, this won't be a thing. Unless this stuff can be changed via BD Live (in which case more reason to have a separate unconnected Blu Ray Player as opposed to a games console or similar).

RE: Sky Platform News - interestednovice - 26-12-2023

Although localising things like posters in a film is very cool, I quite like a more authentic feeling when I’m watching foreign language content. I may be in a minority though because I also generally prefer to keep the original language audio too, and use subtitles instead of dubbing. Even a well-dubbed film is never quite right, somehow!

RE: Sky Platform News - London Lite - 26-12-2023

(26-12-2023, 01:33 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  Although localising things like posters in a film is very cool, I quite like a more authentic feeling when I’m watching foreign language content. I may be in a minority though because I also generally prefer to keep the original language audio too, and use subtitles instead of dubbing. Even a well-dubbed film is never quite right, somehow!

One of the best dubbed shows I've seen is HBO's My Brilliant Friend dubbed into French. My mother loves that show, but wouldn't watch it in Italian with English subs, so dubbed French it was.

However, I'm like you that I prefer the native language with English subtitles.

RE: Sky Platform News - interestednovice - 26-12-2023

I understand what you mean about good dubbing.

Dubbing can sometimes be OK, so it has its place.

If I am watching something at home, and can pay attention to the subtitles, I’ll watch it in the original language. But in a situation like on a plane, where the subtitles might be more difficult to follow and I might be more easily distracted, I might go for a dubbed version instead.

It is quite impressive how well good dubbing can be done, but I do like to hear the original audio most of the time.

RE: Sky Platform News - London Lite - 26-12-2023

US shows dubbed into French are usually awful. No effort made to lip sync the voices and use voice actors that don't really work for the character.

Films dubbed into French are usually excellent as there's usually a bigger budget for hiring higher profile French actors.