Pres Café
Sky Platform News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Industry News, Technology and Facilities (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Sky Platform News (/showthread.php?tid=249)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: Sky Platform News - interestednovice - 26-12-2023

That’s a fair point.

I do feel like dubbing has got better over time, because streaming platforms dub almost everything they make, which has created a market for dubbing which wasn’t really there before.

RE: Sky Platform News - Former Member 237 - 26-12-2023

I always revert to original audio. I just find it weird to listen to voices which don’t sound completely right. But if you think we have it bad, some countries in Europe simply have the same monotone voice talking over the original audio even with different characters! Does that even count as a dub!

RE: Sky Platform News - Steve in Pudsey - 26-12-2023

Obligatory Tom Scott

https://youtu.be/pU9sHwNKc2c?si=H_QJ4OTEQPs0q5ah 

Although unusually for Tom I think he glosses over the salient point of why the captions can't wait for the dub and use the same transcript.

On a related note, Disney make separate versions of films like Frozen for European Spanish and Latin American Spanish. The two versions of Spanish are mutually intelligible but may have cultural differences and nuances. Much like UK and US and Australian English. So why do UK and Australian audiences get US versions?

RE: Sky Platform News - Pete - 27-12-2023

(26-12-2023, 10:57 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  The two versions of Spanish are mutually intelligible but may have cultural differences and nuances. Much like UK and US and Australian English. So why do UK and Australian audiences get US versions?

possibly due to significant higher familiarity between the versions of English? That said, we do often get edits to replace cameos with local celebs.

RE: Sky Platform News - Kunst - 27-12-2023

In Italy (my country) dubbing is ubiquitous, but it needs some context: we get a lot of foreign content, particularly on commercial channels, and dubbing is quite high quality in this country (or it used to be), with many many professional voices to choose from (many actors are also dubbers), and I know Germany is quite similar.

I'd also say it has been used to spread a more colloquial official use of Italian in the past (well, like all of the TV), which used to be more restricted by higher classes and more official contexts pre-WWII; unlike the UK, we used to speak many unintelligible dialects (we still do, but by now much less), especially outside of the "Italian core" (where dialects are similar to the official language) in central Italy
It's also where we get our doses of "proper" standard Italian with the right accent, as everywhere else (aside from official announcements, advertising) the official language is "watered down" by regional or pseudo regional accents (e.g. news reporters, presenters, actors, informal situations and so on; similar to how BBC doesn't use RP everywhere anymore).
That's also similar to the Germany situation (call it Holy Roman Empire effect lol )

Now dubbing has come under attack in this country as "cultured" people see dubbing as an improper way to translate content, as a lot of intricacies are lost in translation, including voices, and in the past it was even used as a way to censor stuff.
And it's partly correct, but, especially in animation, I can't see it being banned anytime soon; actually anywhere else too, people are just used by listening and not reading subtitles, it's hard to "go back".

The situation is very similar in other dubbing countries, AFAIK

It's also MUCH MUCH better than Russian/Polish lektor by any possible mean, which doesn't make much sense; and by now many channels and especially streaming services carry subtitles and have double language track, so you have a choice

RE: Sky Platform News - James2001 - 27-12-2023

Quite a fair bit of US preschool stuff gets redubbed with British voices, though it seems to be inconsistent which shows get redubbed and which don't. And the UK dubs are often quite poor as well. Never entirely seen the point in why they do it, especially when I don't think it's ever been done for cartoons aimed at older viewers (I guess a slight exception was when Hanna Barbera made a series of Superted, and they got Derek Griffiths and Jon Pertwee back for the UK rather than keep the replacement US voices, which you can understand). I can only imagine they don't want really young kids picking up US accents and words while they're developing language skills... though the fact plenty of preschool shows go undubbed negates that.

I remember my nephew once putting Paw Patrol on Netflix and it defaulted to the US voices (the UK soundtrack is on there too, but you had to select it manually), confused the hell out of my nephew who was used to the UK voices, but seeing the US versions really did show up how poor the voice acting on the UK dub is.

I certainly don't see the point in creating UK dubs of US content anyway, even if languages like French, Spanish and Portugese get multiple dubs for different countries. It's English, we can understand it fine bar the odd word and cultural reference (and I'd argue we know the vast majority of Americanisms anyway), we'd basically only be replacing the voices with mostly the exact same dialogue as the original actors are saying anyway, but us not hearing their actual voices, and is there any point in that?

(27-12-2023, 07:18 PM)Pete Wrote:  possibly due to significant higher familiarity between the versions of English? That said, we do often get edits to replace cameos with local celebs.
You do get a lot of "American dubbing" on cartoons, so that's why I guess they don't bother

Plus, of course they can easily export to pretty much anywhere else in the world.
Plus x2, the Estuary English accents (often used in English dubs) have at times some "negative connotations" even inside of the UK, maybe? Although by now cartoon dubs also have an array of regional accents, often not the thick ones of course

American English in the media has little accent variation (in real life it does, of course) and is seen as an "international form of English" because of the US power itself.
So, more marketable, easier to export, even somehow accepted in the UK, and, the way I see it, it kind of is a "status quo", so they don't have to use an array of British regional accents (more expensive) not to spark controversy?

The "two Spanish dubs" situation is different as (I naturally understand a lot of Spanish) the two realities (Latin America and Spain) don't have a lot of contact one with the other.
E.G. Spaniards (wrongly) think the LA Spanish accent (the "pan-LA" standard used in pan-LA dubbing and productions) sounds wrong or funny (although easy to understand), while, viceversa, Latin Americans think Spaniards speak "strange", with a lisp (because they use the "th" sound, which for them is alien).

Unlike British and American English, where the two forms of English are both seen as just two natural variants

RE: Sky Platform News - James2001 - 27-12-2023

And besides, there's been numerous UK made cartoons down the years that have used US voice actors (or at least British ones putting on US accents), so when we make our own content seem American, it would make even less sense to make US content seem British.

RE: Sky Platform News - London Lite - 27-12-2023

I think there's a similar dubbing issue between standard French and Quebécois French because of the differences in the pronunciation, while Quebec also has their own terminology which isn't used in France.

(27-12-2023, 11:16 PM)London Lite Wrote:  I think there's a similar dubbing issue between standard French and Quebécois French because of the differences in the pronunciation, while Quebec also has their own terminology which isn't used in France.
Québec are used by a lot of French dubbing though, especially on smaller channels; Belgium and Switzerland of course just get the French dubs full stop (even though a lot of dubbing comes from Belgium now), as their accents aren't that big of a deal, and have been weakened for decades.
Yeah, but you get here and there stuff like The Simpsons in Québec French

Demographically it also makes sense, as Québec doesn't have a huge population

This is not to say they don't cling to their very typical accent in real life though, I'm just saying that Metropolitan French is their "American French"