Pres Café
Sky Platform News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Industry News, Technology and Facilities (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Sky Platform News (/showthread.php?tid=249)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: Sky Platform News - interestednovice - 19-01-2024

Given that Sky Stream is really the “successor” product (although admittedly not a direct replacement) to Sky Q, it would be odd if Sky didn’t bring in Ad Smart support.

So I suppose they have now done this.

RE: Sky Platform News - Former Member 237 - 19-01-2024

I was looking at getting Sky as I have terrible internet speeds, I really cannot beleive they are trying to charge extra for HD. I am thinking about it.

RE: Sky Platform News - Neil Jones - 19-01-2024

(19-01-2024, 09:06 PM)Former Member 237 Wrote:  I was looking at getting Sky as I have terrible internet speeds

Slightly off topic but if you're on a BT line FTTC/ADSL connection and get "terrible" speeds now, changing provider to another line based provider won't make any difference to your internet speeds, if that is caused by a fault on your line.

However if by "terrible" you mean you connect wirelessly to your router (laptop/phone), that's not something the provider will guarantee speed wise, so again switching provider won't make any difference there.

RE: Sky Platform News - Former Member 237 - 19-01-2024

(19-01-2024, 09:35 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Slightly off topic but if you're on a BT line FTTC/ADSL connection and get "terrible" speeds now, changing provider to another line based provider won't make any difference to your internet speeds, if that is caused by a fault on your line.

However if by "terrible" you mean you connect wirelessly to your router (laptop/phone), that's not something the provider will guarantee speed wise, so again switching provider won't make any difference there.

I was more after being able to watch HD and more so UHD without the buffer via satellite.

RE: Sky Platform News - London Lite - 19-01-2024

I still we're years away from Sky going fully IP with Glass/Stream as there's still a customer base willing to pay silly money just to watch in HD on satellite, along with those customers who live in rural areas with slow internet speeds still which wouldn't be enough to stream Stream in HD before you even get to UHD, so I can't see them leaving those viewers to Freesat.

However those who are lucky to have a decent enough internet connection using VDSL or full fibre can see the potential for Stream to be the successor to Q with great PQ on the vast majority of channels. Even the SD channels are at least DVD quality when you consider Drama for example is 544x576 on satellite (and Freeview).

RE: Sky Platform News - WillPS - 19-01-2024

There's a contract with Astra until 2030. I suspect this is the date to watch - if not for switch off then for a significant cut down of services leading to a full switch off sometime soon after.

RE: Sky Platform News - London Lite - 19-01-2024

(19-01-2024, 10:56 PM)WillPS Wrote:  There's a contract with Astra until 2030. I suspect this is the date to watch - if not for switch off then for a significant cut down of services leading to a full switch off sometime soon after.

I still remember the gradual removal of channels from 19.2E. I think the final channels were closed by 2002/03? Sky Analogue and Sky Digital co-existed for at least four years.

RE: Sky Platform News - Neil Jones - 19-01-2024

(19-01-2024, 11:04 PM)London Lite Wrote:  I still remember the gradual removal of channels from 19.2E. I think the final channels were closed by 2002/03? Sky Analogue and Sky Digital co-existed for at least four years.

Sky Digital launched in 1998.

They started kicking everybody off analogue satellie TV in 2000, gave away new boxes/hardware and then began to shut the channels down on 19.2E. By September 2001 I think it was, the transition was complete at relatively breakneck speed.

RE: Sky Platform News - WillPS - 19-01-2024

(19-01-2024, 11:04 PM)London Lite Wrote:  I still remember the gradual removal of channels from 19.2E. I think the final channels were closed by 2002/03? Sky Analogue and Sky Digital co-existed for at least four years.

Think it was 2002. It was very speedy really, but then Sky Digital was so much better in every single regard as far as subscribers were concerned, and there was an ongoing problem with chipped boxes on analogue so it made sense for them to get it done as quickly as they could.

The urgency on the part of subscribers isn't quite there yet, from a functionality perspective Sky Q is still arguably superior, so it'll be interesting to see what new features Sky come up with to incentivise transitioning over. I get the impression the funky telly was part of this and hasn't necessarily been the draw they had hoped.

RE: Sky Platform News - interestednovice - 19-01-2024

Yes, Sky Stream isn’t a like-for-like upgrade in every respect in the way you’d want it to be for Sky Q customers in order to drive demand-led upgrades.

Really, they need a recording-capable version of Sky Stream (although they may be trying to avoid introducing this so they can charge for the Ad-skipping add-on and force people to use players instead).

Personally, I think a total lack of recording is a major drawback for many which would actually be enough of a detractor to stop any consideration of an upgrade. I do think they will eventually have to introduce a “Sky Stream+” with recording, before Sky Q is completed phased out.