Pres Café
Sky Platform News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Industry News, Technology and Facilities (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Sky Platform News (/showthread.php?tid=249)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: Sky Platform News - London Lite - 20-01-2024

(19-01-2024, 11:17 PM)WillPS Wrote:  Think it was 2002. It was very speedy really, but then Sky Digital was so much better in every single regard as far as subscribers were concerned, and there was an ongoing problem with chipped boxes on analogue so it made sense for them to get it done as quickly as they could.

The urgency on the part of subscribers isn't quite there yet, from a functionality perspective Sky Q is still arguably superior, so it'll be interesting to see what new features Sky come up with to incentivise transitioning over. I get the impression the funky telly was part of this and hasn't necessarily been the draw they had hoped.

Stream isn't quite there yet, I agree with you there, but it certainly has the potential. The recording issue that current Sky Q users seem to be the most concerned about isn't a major issue for me personally.

What is interesting however is that the website doesn't seen to let you buy Q online. I'm sure you can call CS and still get an installation, but the direction is towards Stream first, Glass 2nd.

RE: Sky Platform News - Ash101 - 20-01-2024

(20-01-2024, 12:02 AM)London Lite Wrote:  Stream isn't quite there yet, I agree with you there, but it certainly has the potential. The recording issue that current Sky Q users seem to be the most concerned about isn't a major issue for me personally.

What is interesting however is that the website doesn't seen to let you buy Q online. I'm sure you can call CS and still get an installation, but the direction is towards Stream first, Glass 2nd.

That appears to only be a recent thing as we signed up for Sky Q via their website in the last 6 months... mainly because our internet just cannot handle streaming like Sky Stream needs.

Plus I do enjoy having the recording function, I just find it an easier way to manage what I want to watch

RE: Sky Platform News - Former Member 237 - 20-01-2024

Sky Q is there is you scroll all the way to the bottom.

RE: Sky Platform News - southern_boy - 20-01-2024

(19-01-2024, 09:46 PM)Former Member 237 Wrote:  I was more after being able to watch HD and more so UHD without the buffer via satellite.

The delay is greater for Stream/Glass than Q.

RE: Sky Platform News - Andy - 20-01-2024

(19-01-2024, 11:40 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  Yes, Sky Stream isn’t a like-for-like upgrade in every respect in the way you’d want it to be for Sky Q customers in order to drive demand-led upgrades.

Really, they need a recording-capable version of Sky Stream (although they may be trying to avoid introducing this so they can charge for the Ad-skipping add-on and force people to use players instead).

Personally, I think a total lack of recording is a major drawback for many which would actually be enough of a detractor to stop any consideration of an upgrade. I do think they will eventually have to introduce a “Sky Stream+” with recording, before Sky Q is completed phased out.

Sky Glass / Sky Stream does record - in a sense. Where there isn't an on-demand service available, you can still add a show to the Playlist and it'll be made available as a cloud recording from Sky’s infrastructure.

So it applies to channels like Legend, Movies24 etc etc.

RE: Sky Platform News - interestednovice - 20-01-2024

(20-01-2024, 08:27 PM)Andy Wrote:  Sky Glass / Sky Stream does record - in a sense. Where there isn't an on-demand service available, you can still add a show to the Playlist and it'll be made available as a cloud recording from Sky’s infrastructure.

So it applies to channels like Legend, Movies24 etc etc.

It will also let you “rewind” live TV, as it records it in a buffer. So that’s another way to potentially pause for a while and then be able to skip adverts!

RE: Sky Platform News - all new phil - 20-01-2024

(20-01-2024, 09:04 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  It will also let you “rewind” live TV, as it records it in a buffer. So that’s another way to potentially pause for a while and then be able to skip adverts!

Find it odd you can’t rewind further. Surely the way it’s delivered means you could in theory skip back, even beyond the point you tuned into a channel (like iPlayer allows)?

RE: Sky Platform News - interestednovice - 20-01-2024

Strangely, it only operates as a local cache - not streaming a delay of the main feed from Sky’s servers. Some programmes can be restarted from the beginning, but this then “switches” to an on-demand stream, not a time-delayed stream of the “live” feed. I assume this is because Sky is not recording a live-cache of each channel at their end, although there’s no technical reason they couldn’t.

RE: Sky Platform News - London Lite - 20-01-2024

For the shows on Drama that are 4:3 and then stretched, I'd use the the restart feature which has them in the correct aspect ratio.

RE: Sky Platform News - interestednovice - 21-01-2024

Interestingly, oddities like that actually show how the system works. The “live channel” comes straight from playout, and therefore has DOGs and everything a normal channel does, whereas the restarted programmes are delivered as VOD, playing the video file straight instead of the channel feed.