Pres Café
Sky Platform News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Industry News, Technology and Facilities (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Sky Platform News (/showthread.php?tid=249)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: Sky Platform News - WhisperOfCinnamon - 30-11-2022

(30-11-2022, 11:31 AM)Stuart Wrote:  
(30-11-2022, 09:03 AM)bilky asko Wrote:  Though they were on Freeview in HD until the closure of COM7, it is funny to think they've only just launched in HD on Sky when they've been broadcasting in UHD in Germany since 2017.
I find it rather amusing that a shopping channel would want to broadcast in UHD.   Tongue

You need to be able to see every single "gemstone" in that Diamonique bracelet

RE: Sky Platform News - bilky asko - 30-11-2022

(30-11-2022, 02:58 PM)WhisperOfCinnamon Wrote:  
(30-11-2022, 11:31 AM)Stuart Wrote:  I find it rather amusing that a shopping channel would want to broadcast in UHD.   Tongue

You need to be able to see every single "gemstone" in that Diamonique bracelet

I've just had a look at QVC2 on the QVC Germany site. Someone is slicing up Lindor chocolates with a John Willan-style white glove on. It's what UHD was made for

RE: Sky Platform News - Humphrey Hacker - 05-12-2022

Sky have announced plans to charge subscribers £5 to skip ads:
https://www.irvinetimes.com/news/23170389.sky-announces-plans-charge-customers-5-skip-tv-adverts/ 

RE: Sky Platform News - tmf9 - 05-12-2022

That is only for Sky Glass/Stream. A payment for ad-skipping has been on the cards since Sky Glass launched; until recently it was included free for the first 12 months, then extended to 18 months, but new customers now have to pay for it.

RE: Sky Platform News - Humphrey Hacker - 05-12-2022

(05-12-2022, 09:21 PM)tmf9 Wrote:  That is only for Sky Glass/Stream. A payment for ad-skipping has been on the cards since Sky Glass launched; until recently it was included free for the first 12 months, then extended to 18 months, but new customers now have to pay for it.

Ah right.

RE: Sky Platform News - Stuart - 05-12-2022

(05-12-2022, 09:21 PM)tmf9 Wrote:  That is only for Sky Glass/Stream. A payment for ad-skipping has been on the cards since Sky Glass launched; until recently it was included free for the first 12 months, then extended to 18 months, but new customers now have to pay for it.
That sounds as though I might not be affected. I have a Sky+HD DRX890, which essentially now operates as a FSfS box, but I pay £10 a month to keep the Sky+ and Catch-up download functionality.

If they do introduce a bar on 'ad skipping' for my set-up, then it's no different to back in the day when ad breaks were a chance to pop to the loo or make another cuppa.

RE: Sky Platform News - Neil Jones - 06-12-2022

(05-12-2022, 10:54 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
That sounds as though I might not be affected. I have a Sky+HD DRX890, which essentially now operates as a FSfS box, but I pay £10 a month to keep the Sky+ and Catch-up download functionality.

If they do introduce a bar on 'ad skipping' for my set-up, then it's no different to back in the day when ad breaks were a chance to pop to the loo or make another cuppa.

The DRX890 of course being a Sky+HD box so its immaterial anyway as far as this is concerned. All the bulk of the innovations and new things are on Sky Q/Glass/Stream, and all Sky+HD got was a UI rejig which made it look like a boxy version of Sky Q.

RE: Sky Platform News - bkman1990 - 18-12-2022

Sky are currently planning to cut the number of their own branded channels including the Sky Sports channels in the UK and Ireland in the near future.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/sky-squeeze-could-broadcaster-close-channels

Sky are also planning to sell off Sky Germany as well which includes the operation in Austria. Canal+ & One Internet are also included in the sale.

RE: Sky Platform News - Rdd - 18-12-2022

Is it plans or just speculation at the moment? That’s not clear. Not the first place I have seen it mooted and arguably the need for so many linear sports channels in particular (a consequence of the 2017 move from numbers to themed channels) is not clear.

The triple play argument is interesting; in Ireland Sky (and it’s Now brand) are the one remaining pay TV provider that does not also require you to take their broadband to also get their TV service. Virgin Media (whose predecessors started life in TV and only later moved into the internet/telephony area) only introduced that requirement when TV360 was launched in recent years. I’ve always considered that an advantage, maybe Comcast views it a weakness.

RE: Sky Platform News - ASnep - 18-12-2022

(18-12-2022, 08:10 AM)bkman1990 Wrote:  Sky are also planning to sell off Sky Germany as well which includes the operation in Austria. Canal+ & One Internet are also included in the sale.

Those are rumours they want to sell of Sky Germany. Also Groupe Canal+ and 1&1 are rumoured to be the potential buyers via joint venture, they are not included in the sale.