Pres Café
Top of the Pops - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Top of the Pops (/showthread.php?tid=257)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Top of the Pops - James2001 - 08-04-2023

With the sad news about Paul Cattermole yesterday, it reminded be about the complete absence of any clips of mention of S Club 7 in the Story of 99. Along with Westlife also being entirely absent, it's one of the most questionable editorial decisions in the entire Story of series. 2 of the biggest acts of the year, with 5 number ones between them (including the highly coveted Christmas and Millennium number ones), both of which were barely off TOTP in 99, yet they were brushed over entirely.

RE: Top of the Pops - Happy2001 - 19-04-2023

25/8/94 is currently not listed for the 5th May, 18/8/94 & 1/9/94 are scheduled from 7pm

Friday 5th May:
7pm - 18/8/94
7:30pm - 1/9/94
8pm - 5/5/77
8:30pm - 3/5/84

https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl6b/2023/05/05 

RE: Top of the Pops - James2001 - 19-04-2023

I wonder if the combined faux-letterbox effect and 1994 quality filmising combined presents some sort of issue with them showing it? The opening Kylie link was shown on the BBC Choice Kylie special that BBC4 showed last year, though I guess that could have been pulled from the unedited studio tape that's floating around. Would be hard to believe the master tape has gone missing, would be extremely careless to lose a major show from that late. It was 1994, not 1974.

RE: Top of the Pops - JAS84 - 20-04-2023

Could it be objectionable content that's the problem? An artist who's fallen from grace?

RE: Top of the Pops - Neil Jones - 20-04-2023

I'd have thought the presence of R Kelly may have knocked it on the head? He was pretty prolific (as a music artist I hasten to add) in the mid 1990s, but looking at the chart archive for that date Kelly isn't in that week, so maybe as James says, some production design at the time that doesn't pass today?

RE: Top of the Pops - Pips2022 - 20-04-2023

I remember it being a bit of a strain to watch at the time tbh. It just didn’t look or feel right

RE: Top of the Pops - James2001 - 20-04-2023

I can upload it so people can see what it looked like... I'll do that later.

If the original master tape has gone missing, I guess it could technically be rebuilt from the studio tape that's out there, though there are a few issues there- most notably the lack of captions (though they are shown against a black screen before the studio recording starts, so could be keyed back on), the Enigma video and Let Loose satellite performances being spooled back before they finish, so are incomplete (though the latter is on the studio tape in full at the start), the Wet Wet Wet performance missing the middle (though as it's a repeat from an earlier edition that could technically be rectified), no animated transitions and several seconds missing from the inserts around each transition and no end credits montage. Even trying to do so would probably be more effort than BBC4 would be prepared to put in and would still be messy unless the original insert tapes still exist too to patch in most of the bits that are missing from the studio tape.

RE: Top of the Pops - Happy2001 - 20-04-2023

(20-04-2023, 08:36 AM)JAS84 Wrote:  Could it be objectionable content that's the problem? An artist who's fallen from grace?

This is the line-up for 25/8/94:

Shampoo - Trouble 
Red Dragon with Brian & Tony Gold - Complements On Your Kiss
Enigma - Age Of Loneliness (Video + Charts)
Dinosaur Jnr - Feel The Pain
Chaka Demus & Pliers - Gal Wine
Let Loose - Crazy For You (Via Satellite)
Shed Seven - Speakeasy
Kylie Minogue - Confide In Me
Wet Wet Wet - Love Is All Around (Repeat)
Blur feat. Phil Daniels - Parkife (Montage + Credits)

None that i can see here.

Another possibility is because Malcolm McLaren was so bad (even more obvious if you watch the studio tape and the number of takes he had to keep doing), either him or his estate requested it wasn't shown.

(20-04-2023, 09:58 AM)Pips2022 Wrote:  I remember it being a bit of a strain to watch at the time tbh. It just didn’t look or feel right
I guess you could see it as a sign of things to come, most of television seems to look like that now, even though muct of the time there should never have been arty film look on those programmes, and in many cases looks absolutely awful. They were just doing in 1994 what practically every programme maker is doing 20-30 years on, for better or worse...