Pres Café
Top of the Pops - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Top of the Pops (/showthread.php?tid=257)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Top of the Pops - Happy2001 - 07-01-2023

(07-01-2023, 02:33 PM)James2001 Wrote:  
(07-01-2023, 09:32 AM)Robert Williams Wrote:  The original version has also been recently uploaded to YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DulsRRAMoOw 

Even that YouTube version's been edited down- the Beatles performance at the end, including the credits, has been removed, it just cuts straight from Bryan Adams to the copyright caption. That YouTube upload is nearly 3 minutes shorter than the version I uploaded, which means more must have been removed than the Beatles performance, but I haven't been through it all to see what else.
Description says Cliff Richard & Eurythmics has been edited out due to copyright as well as The Beatles.

RE: Top of the Pops - James2001 - 07-01-2023

Interesting that the credits show Jon Plowman was the producer- usually a comedy producer (and a very prolific one at that).

On the 1994 version at least- no credits at all on the 2001 version.

I really think they should have shown the original version, especially as this was advertised as part of the 1994 repeats, and the post-94 clips have confused things, and the editing is bit sloppy (especially the opening link). Yes, the 2001 version was sans-Gary Glitter, but there were still some clips and mentions of Jimmy Savile that needed removing, so it's not like the 2001 version didn't need editing either.

RE: Top of the Pops - Happy2001 - 10-01-2023

(07-01-2023, 10:47 AM)Happy2001 Wrote:  
(07-01-2023, 09:32 AM)Robert Williams Wrote:  The original version has also been recently uploaded to YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DulsRRAMoOw 

Given that the original version uses a different style of scrolling caption, and also that the transitions from the clips back to the studio are different, for the 2001 version it looks like the archive clips must all have been reinserted from the original source material (omitting Glitter and adding some more recent clips) - so therefore this version amounts to a complete rebuild rather than merely a re-edit, which seems like a lot of trouble to go to for what was a reshowing at 10.15 at night in 2001.

Ian Dury And The Blockheads & Bing Crosby were also removed from the 2001 version.
Watching the episode again on iPlayer, Bing & Glitter were cut from the 2001 version but Ian Dury And The Blockheads were edited out (very well) by BBC Four.

RE: Top of the Pops - JAS84 - 12-01-2023

Makes sense for Glitter to be excised obviously, but why were Bing Crosby and Ian Dury edited out?

RE: Top of the Pops - James2001 - 12-01-2023

Not sure about Bing, but Ian Dury had a blackface drummer.

RE: Top of the Pops - Happy2001 - 12-01-2023

(12-01-2023, 01:07 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Makes sense for Glitter to be excised obviously, but why were Bing Crosby and Ian Dury edited out?

Bing: Interestingly you can here the start of the 1986-88 intro which preceded Bing originally as it transitions into the next link in the 2001 version.

Ian Dury And The Blockheads: The Blackface Drummer is why it's been edited out of this and the recent repeat of Christmas Hits. Slowing down the show on iPlayer shows that it was in the 2001 version but it's been covered over by Rat Trap which came after it originally.

[Image: qwushye81i24.png]

RE: Top of the Pops - TIGHazard - 12-01-2023

(07-01-2023, 07:56 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Interesting that the credits show Jon Plowman was the producer- usually a comedy producer (and a very prolific one at that).

I really think they should have shown the original version, especially as this was advertised as part of the 1994 repeats, and the post-94 clips have confused things, and the editing is bit sloppy (especially the opening link). Yes, the 2001 version was sans-Gary Glitter, but there were still some clips and mentions of Jimmy Savile that needed removing, so it's not like the 2001 version didn't need editing either.

Comparing the original 1994 version and the 2023 edit, they did make the intro joke work slightly better. The Savile mention was between "let's take a look at the first ever show" and "the BBC have wiped the tapes". So to cover up the obvious jump, they edited in blank VHS rolling static instead of a shot where they look around confused at why it isn't playing.

I know they don't normally put that much effort into the edits.

RE: Top of the Pops - VMPhil - 12-01-2023

(07-01-2023, 02:43 PM)Happy2001 Wrote:  
(07-01-2023, 02:33 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Even that YouTube version's been edited down- the Beatles performance at the end, including the credits, has been removed, it just cuts straight from Bryan Adams to the copyright caption. That YouTube upload is nearly 3 minutes shorter than the version I uploaded, which means more must have been removed than the Beatles performance, but I haven't been through it all to see what else.
Description says Cliff Richard & Eurythmics has been edited out due to copyright as well as The Beatles.

That would have made for an interesting collaboration!

RE: Top of the Pops - James2001 - 12-01-2023

(12-01-2023, 02:42 PM)TIGHazard Wrote:  
(07-01-2023, 07:56 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Interesting that the credits show Jon Plowman was the producer- usually a comedy producer (and a very prolific one at that).

Comparing the original 1994 version and the 2023 edit, they did make the intro joke work slightly better. The Savile mention was between "let's take a look at the first ever show" and "the BBC have wiped the tapes". So to cover up the obvious jump, they edited in blank VHS rolling static instead of a shot where they look around confused at why it isn't playing.

I'm presuming that static was an edit made for the 2001 version rather than something BBC4 did.

RE: Top of the Pops - TIGHazard - 12-01-2023

(12-01-2023, 04:07 PM)James2001 Wrote:  
(12-01-2023, 02:42 PM)TIGHazard Wrote:  Comparing the original 1994 version and the 2023 edit, they did make the intro joke work slightly better. The Savile mention was between "let's take a look at the first ever show" and "the BBC have wiped the tapes". So to cover up the obvious jump, they edited in blank VHS rolling static instead of a shot where they look around confused at why it isn't playing.

I'm presuming that static was an edit made for the 2001 version rather than something BBC4 did.

I suppose the only way to know would be to find a copy of the 2001 version. But this is how the original went (italicised was removed in an edit at some point)

Smashie: "So let's take a look at the first Top of the Pops ever, all the way back from 1964. When Nicey was only middle-aged."

Nicey: "Superb gag"

Smashie: "Hosted by that most finest Yorkshireman, Jimmy Savile"

[Looking around confused]

Nicey: "Ah, I've just heard the BBC have wiped the tape, mate"