Pres Café
Top of the Pops - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Top of the Pops (/showthread.php?tid=257)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Top of the Pops - James2001 - 12-01-2023

I know how the original went, seeing as I uploaded a copy of it on the last page.

RE: Top of the Pops - James2001 - 15-01-2023

Also when it comes to the effort of editing something for a repeat broadcast as people talked about with the Smashie and Nicey special, I remember a couple of years back we got a revised version of the John Lennon episode of TOTP2, where all but the first and last video had been replaced by HD remasters with recreated captions, and the 1992 Just Like Starting Over video was replaced with the 2000 video (albeit cropped and upscaled from 4:3 SD rather than remastered in HD).

RE: Top of the Pops - TIGHazard - 15-01-2023

One thing that has always confused me is where the production team managed to get this version of the 1997 logo from for the titles. (https://tvforum.uk/forums/post1052635#post-1052635 )

[Image: mf38m40.png]

Well using the Popscene archive, they used the correct version from the 1998 new look till 8th September 2000.

[Image: b6umtdG.png]

The horribly recreated logo starts on the 15th September.

Thing is, I'm not even sure why? I can only assume they lost the logo vector file or something? Because if you put the files in a video editor on top of each other, the length and animation of the intro is exactly the same.

RE: Top of the Pops - James2001 - 15-01-2023

Just seen the TOTP Baywatch satellite performance of New Order's Regret on MTV 90s, which seems bizarre, not least because there is a proper video for the song.

RE: Top of the Pops - James2001 - 23-01-2023

One thing you'll notice at the end of Mark's final episode, is you get an effect that looks like it's going to transition into the end credits, but then the credits suddenly appear from a different part of the screen. I'm presuming that was so that the Meat Loaf message to Stan Appel was a suprise to Stan on the broadcast.

RE: Top of the Pops - DE88 - 27-01-2023

Year Zero seemed to go by in the blink of an eye, didn't it? (Of course, Adrian Rose/Woolfe didn't allow BBC4 to repeat his episodes - but it probably wouldn't have made much difference if he had.)

It seems, too, that attitudes towards this era - and towards its producer, and the presenters who did allow their eps to be repeated - have mellowed. It's still considered a terrible period for the show, but there doesn't appear to be as much ire as there was.

There certainly isn't as much ire from the folks at TV Cream. When billing last week's repeats, they said: "We have to admit we haven't minded Tony and Mark so much over the past year or so, especially Tony who seems to actually show some interest in music and has been quite a likeable presence on screen, and we hope, and think, that these repeats have done their reputations a bit of good." Of Mark they added: "While he could come across as a bit bland, he was all very slick and agreeable and no worse than many of the DJs who filled the role in previous years." And finally, of Stan Appel: "We think he was involved with Pops longer than anyone in its history... it's a bit of a shame that it'll be for this [two-and-a-half year] spell [as producer] he'll be remembered because while the repeats have proven it may not have been as bad as we thought at the time, it's not been a golden age and it's a shame his legacy was a period when the show's future was in real doubt for the first time."

So on to the next era, arguably the last truly good one for the show. That horrible hard-to-read logo clings on for another year, as does "Now Get Out of That", and there are still pre-chart exclusives and satellite performances - but the miming is back, as are the Radio 1 DJs (before Ric Blaxill goes a little too far with the guest hosts); the chart numbers are in a single (and readable) font again; there are far fewer old acts; and of course, Britpop's coming to the fore (though, unfortunately, there's also Wet Wet Wet's proverbial reign of terror).

RE: Top of the Pops - Happy2001 - 05-02-2023

From Digital Spy's AcerBen:
"Incidentally, have just found out the TOTP 2022 thing on BBC Two on Christmas Eve got 523,000. I was actually expecting worse than that."

Also the Saville edit from 4/1/94 was not done in the original 2001 re-edit.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4dRrYcyLhB8 

RE: Top of the Pops - Michael Kenchington - 05-02-2023

(05-02-2023, 01:32 AM)Happy2001 Wrote:  From Digital Spy's AcerBen:
"Incidentally, have just found out the TOTP 2022 thing on BBC Two on Christmas Eve got 523,000. I was actually expecting worse than that."

Also the Saville edit from 4/1/94 was not done in the original 2001 re-edit.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4dRrYcyLhB8 

So are any episodes featuring Jimmy Savile, Dave Lee Travis, Gary Glitter and Rolf Harris since been banned or are there any others as well?

I know Mike Smith's episodes couldn't be reshown at all due to the fact that Smith decided not to sign the licence extension that could allow the BBC to repeat the TOTP episodes that he presented, with the BBC continuing to respect his wishes following his 2014 death.

Thoughts?

RE: Top of the Pops - VMPhil - 05-02-2023

Savile, Glitter, Harris - definitely banned.

DLT - was banned at the time of his conviction, but I think he doesn't turn up on the repeats again until the final show in 2006 (which will be banned anyway if we even get that far, see above)

We have a couple upcoming Glitter appearances that will presumably be censored. Firstly a playout on the Damon Albarn hosted show - I hope they just edit that out as it is a historically interesting show with Oasis on too. And Glitter hosts the episode the week after which they will presumably skip).

RE: Top of the Pops - Happy2001 - 05-02-2023

(05-02-2023, 01:18 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  DLT - was banned at the time of his conviction, but I think he doesn't turn up on the repeats again until the final show in 2006 (which will be banned anyway if we even get that far, see above)

He's appeared on a few shows rerun by the BBC including the 1/10/92 edition of Top Of The Pops with other Radio 1 DJ's introducing Status Quo but no editions he's hosted have (re)appeared in the 8pm episodes.