Pres Café
International Presentation - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: International Presentation (/showthread.php?tid=27)

RE: International Presentation - DonnyGuy - 18-03-2023

One strange thing FX and FX Life have kept up (that I really don't understand) is the fact that they assume you must live on a different time zone if you don't speak Greek.

Officially the channels broadcast to customers in Greece and Cyprus. That's their target audience. Both countries are on Eastern European Time.

However on ALL their commercials, the audio is Greek, they read the correct times out in Greek. The Greek text gives the correct time (so above it's Monday at 22:40 and Friday at 21:00) when the shows will be on.

But then they include English text next to it which makes sense. The programs are in English with Greek subtitles, they pretty much re in sync with America with the premiers so I get it.

But owing to the fact it's a Greek commercial on a Greek channel broadcasting to audiences in Greece and Cyprus, I can't understand why the English text always refers to CET (Central European Time which is one hour behind GR/CY).

Do they assume people who don't speak Greek also live on a separate timezone in their heads

RE: International Presentation - Roger Darthwell - 18-03-2023

(18-03-2023, 11:12 AM)DonnyGuy Wrote:  One strange thing FX and FX Life have kept up (that I really don't understand) is the fact that they assume you must live on a different time zone if you don't speak Greek.

Officially the channels broadcast to customers in Greece and Cyprus. That's their target audience. Both countries are on Eastern European Time.

However on ALL their commercials, the audio is Greek, they read the correct times out in Greek. The Greek text gives the correct time (so above it's Monday at 22:40 and Friday at 21:00) when the shows will be on.

But then they include English text next to it which makes sense. The programs are in English with Greek subtitles, they pretty much re in sync with America with the premiers so I get it.

But owing to the fact it's a Greek commercial on a Greek channel broadcasting to audiences in Greece and Cyprus, I can't understand why the English text always refers to CET (Central European Time which is one hour behind GR/CY).

Do they assume people who don't speak Greek also live on a separate timezone in their heads

I think that is because usually the Greek feed of channels like FX is also available in the Balkan countries, and the Balkans use CET as their timezone, but that's just my opinion

RE: International Presentation - Kunst - 18-03-2023

No, it's available in Malta, not in the Balkans, at least as far as I know.

Balkan countries get another feed

https://www.foxtv.rs 

Yes indeed, the "Adria" feeds for ex-Yugo countries haven't been rebranded, as the Greek feeds aren't available there.

But they're available in Malta, which is CET, not EET

RE: International Presentation - Roger Darthwell - 18-03-2023

(18-03-2023, 12:38 PM)Kunst Wrote:  No, it's available in Malta, not in the Balkans, at least as far as I know.

Balkan countries get another feed
OK so the Greek FX channels are available in Malta as well as Greece, this would explain the CET timezone, even though I bet it's weird for Maltese viewers having shows subtitled in Greek!

The whole set up is a bit weird, I'm sure a more neutral feed would've been Adria for Fox etc, given these channels have mostly English only text.

But I'm sure there were other considerations, as advertising minutage is lower on the Greek feeds than on the Adria feeds, which is a benefit for the Maltese, as that's a so small market, I doubt Malta gets an advertising window on these channels

Surely Malta would have their own commercials though and promos? As the FX channels in Greece have local ads and these program ads are in Greek?

I’d have expected Malta to have its own commercials / promos. 

But could be as you say

I MIGHT BE WRONG, but I think they just get either:
- an ad less version of FX and FX Life (that's included) Greece in English, without Greek subtitles but for the rest the same, with Greek advertising replaced by self-promotions (promos)
- the same as FX and FX Life (I think Nat Geo "Malta" works the same) Greece in English, without Greek subtitles but also with Greek advertising, maybe with Greek advertising being played but replaced by "music".

"Opt-outs" of course are needed: anyway, I believe this feed, along with minor ones like Adria and South Africa, are all created in London, "en masse".

I doubt an 350.000 inhab. market gets its own advertising windows on "pan-"channels, but who knows! I say it because of past experience
There's no continuity AFAIK

I think Maltese might be used about getting other feeds, remember that Malta, again, is quite a small market population-wise.

Anyway, the Greek advertising on the FX channels isn't that much, it has no strong consequences on the feed.

They only show around 6 mins of advertising per hour or so

(18-03-2023, 06:34 PM)DonnyGuy Wrote:  I’d have expected Malta to have its own commercials / promos. 
It's common for smaller countries to be bundled with bigger ones, or similarly sized countries (pop. wise) to be bundled together, it happens all the time especially in Central and Eastern Europe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTXdtxJrCts 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Lrq4_C7wU 

Oftentimes, they have the same continuity, but only opt outs for the advertising (not the promos) and OF COURSE, the audio tracks

Every day is a school day - thanks all.

I was aware some channels clearly broadcast in different countries. For example if I watch TCM, all the 'advertisements' between movies are in English and are advertising channel content only rather than anything local.

The adverts for films always have the format for the time stamps, they use: Sunday 22:00 UAE / 20:00 GRE

So clearly the same channel, both countries just the Greece feed has Greek subtitles on the movies and I guess the UAE feed does the same with Arabic.

But hey ho, I also fired an email this morning to FX to ask the question as it was really bugging me. I can tell them you guys already put me right Smile