Pres Café
BBC One Nightlight - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Industry News, Technology and Facilities (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: BBC One Nightlight (/showthread.php?tid=286)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Orry Verducci - 23-10-2023

Given the ample warning they've given everyone via the onscreen messages, I would say they're unlikely to run the services beyond the 8th Jan. I would expect them to just disappear.

The plan is to have everyone switched over to HD ahead of that date. That's why the messages are now so obtrusive. They want people to be changing now, not in January.

(23-10-2023, 07:43 PM)i.h Wrote:  I believe that ITV one was hard coded into the software. I can't imagine they have the means or the appetite to make any updates to those boxes now.

I don't think it was in the software. I'm fairly sure it was a normal service, albeit a dummy one, with normal EPG data with the message.

They definitely could do the same today if they wanted to, much like they did on Freesat with channel 106 when the HD regions launched. However I suspect they probably won't bother, for no other reason than they haven't done that for any other service that switched to only HD broadcasting.

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Jimbo2022 - 23-10-2023

(23-10-2023, 08:20 PM)Orry Verducci Wrote:  Given the ample warning they've given everyone via the onscreen messages, I would say they're unlikely to run the services beyond the 8th Jan. I would expect them to just disappear.

The plan is to have everyone switched over to HD ahead of that date. That's why the messages are now so obtrusive. They want people to be changing now, not in January.

I don't think it was in the software. I'm fairly sure it was a normal service, albeit a dummy one, with normal EPG data with the message.

They definitely could do the same today if they wanted to, much like they did on Freesat with channel 106 when the HD regions launched. However I suspect they probably won't bother, for no other reason than they haven't done that for any other service that switched to only HD broadcasting.

Itv one on 103 prior to 15 Nov 2001 was indeed an RPG data insert on a dummy channel on 11778V that never had any video or audio present.

It disappeared from the EPG when the first 16 itv regions launched simultaneously to the EPG at 1700 that day, despite having been on air since 5 November 2001.

The method has not been used since on any service. These days the channels are just launched on a number inserted as new, changed, or removed straight away 

They stay on air fir around 30 minutes after EPG updates, before getting switched off.

Sky Mix however carried on broadcasting in SD off the EPG.

The BBC have announced there will be a caption from 8 Jan 2024, but exactly how long it will stay is unknown.

The channel 106 on Freesat, that us now no longer in the EPG, is an MHEG slate, not MPEG2 so is invisible on most equipment. I expect BBC to transmit an MPEG2 caption with the downtime music from 8 January. For exactly how long is the big question

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Orry Verducci - 23-10-2023

(23-10-2023, 08:49 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  They stay on air fir around 30 minutes after EPG updates, before getting switched off.

Sky Mix however carried on broadcasting in SD off the EPG.

That will be for Freesat's benefit. Freesat set top boxes and TV's ususally take a little longer than Sky boxes to pick up the bouquet changes. Usually it's within the hour but I have seen occasions where a box/TV has taken a couple days for some reason.

Generally services will be kept active for a week after it's removed from the EPG.

(23-10-2023, 08:49 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  The BBC have announced there will be a caption from 8 Jan 2024, but exactly how long it will stay is unknown.

The channel 106 on Freesat, that us now no longer in the EPG, is an MHEG slate, not MPEG2 so is invisible on most equipment. I expect BBC to transmit an MPEG2 caption with the downtime music from 8 January. For exactly how long is the big question

Have they announced there will be a slate? It really wouldn't surprise me if they just switch it off, especially now they've reported having fewer calls than expected.

I can definitely see them putting an MHEG slate on Freesat 101, but when it comes to Sky I can't see them entertaining it. Sky don't like off air slates, and are usually very quick to remove services in situations like that.

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Jimbo2022 - 24-10-2023

(23-10-2023, 11:08 PM)Orry Verducci Wrote:  That will be for Freesat's benefit. Freesat set top boxes and TV's ususally take a little longer than Sky boxes to pick up the bouquet changes. Usually it's within the hour but I have seen occasions where a box/TV has taken a couple days for some reason.

Generally services will be kept active for a week after it's removed from the EPG.

Have they announced there will be a slate? It really wouldn't surprise me if they just switch it off, especially now they've reported having fewer calls than expected.

I can definitely see them putting an MHEG slate on Freesat 101, but when it comes to Sky I can't see them entertaining it. Sky don't like off air slates, and are usually very quick to remove services in situations like that.
At the bottom of the blog updated on 13 October it reads:

'[color=#000000][font=ReithSans, Helvetica, Arial, freesans, sans-serif]This means from 8 January next year, a ‘channel closed’ message will appear on all our SD channel feeds on satellite.'[/font][/color]

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Spencer - 24-10-2023

(23-10-2023, 08:49 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  Itv one on 103 prior to 15 Nov 2001 was indeed an RPG data insert on a dummy channel on 11778V that never had any video or audio present.

It disappeared from the EPG when the first 16 itv regions launched simultaneously to the EPG at 1700 that day, despite having been on air since 5 November 2001.

The method has not been used since on any service. These days the channels are just launched on a number inserted as new, changed, or removed straight away 

They stay on air fir around 30 minutes after EPG updates, before getting switched off.

The difference here is that 101-105 have to be listed on the EPG, as required by Ofcom:

EPG providers must ensure that the five national general entertainment PSB channels (BBC1, BBC2, Channel 3 services, Channel 4 and Channel 5) are listed in the first 5 slots of the EPG.

Source: Source: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0031/19399/code-practice-epg.pdf 

RE: BBC One Nightlight - JACKLUFC1998 - 24-10-2023

(24-10-2023, 08:31 AM)Spencer Wrote:  The difference here is that 101-105 have to be listed on the EPG, as required by Ofcom:

EPG providers must ensure that the five national general entertainment PSB channels (BBC1, BBC2, Channel 3 services, Channel 4 and Channel 5) are listed in the first 5 slots of the EPG.

Source: Source: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0031/19399/code-practice-epg.pdf 

And S4C in Wales too don't forget.

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Orry Verducci - 24-10-2023

(24-10-2023, 08:31 AM)Spencer Wrote:  The difference here is that 101-105 have to be listed on the EPG, as required by Ofcom:

Sky and Freesat could argue that they have met this obligation by assigning 101 to BBC One, and blame the non appearance on the EPG on SD boxes on the users equipment being unable to receive the service rather than the platform not meeting its obligations. Much in the same way Freeview TV's don't show channels 1 and 2 if the viewer can't receive the PSB1 mux.

It's open to interpretation though so it'll be interesting to see what they actually do.

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Jimbo2022 - 24-10-2023

That may explain why the numbers need to be filled in all boxes. So probably not

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Moz - 28-10-2023

(24-10-2023, 05:50 PM)JACKLUFC1998 Wrote:  And S4C in Wales too don't forget.

Annoys me that this is on 104 in Wales. While S4C means Channel 4 Wales it bears no similarities to that channel.

I live in Wales and want to watch Channel 4 thanks!

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Jon - 28-10-2023

You still have Channel 4 don’t you?