Pres Café
BBC One Nightlight - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Industry News, Technology and Facilities (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: BBC One Nightlight (/showthread.php?tid=286)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Jimbo2022 - 09-11-2023

(09-11-2023, 10:07 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Yes there's still a 'network' or 'sustaining' BBC1, and as you say there's actually two as there's a north one too. 

What they carry when I can't remember. It's still London (or South East) for Breakfast and a selected region for Politics/current affairs. It always used to be the news channel for the news opt outs, it might be London sometimes since they moved into the national studio (that might have been a temporary thing)

If a region doesn't opt or fails during it then you'll see whatever's on that sustaining network version. However, every TV and radio service goes through coding and mux and they can replace any region with another. So if a region  can't do an opt and they know in advance they can have another one nearby go out in it's place. Handy functionality, especially during covid. 

They also have the ability to join regions, so if a programme is going out in several they don't all have to be crewed just to put it out

So playout put out 4 (I think) versions of BBC1 - sustaining, sustaining north, SD nightlight, and HD. Yes as far as I know the old HD version with the red caption still exists, but only appears on iPlayer.
Thought so thank you. And Nightlight is downscaled hd with different red slate and an overlay. I assume the overlay us not on the other 8 as they are probably downscaled HD feeds and would need routing differently if a slate appeared on BBC2 for example 

I wonder what will actually happen on 8 Jan, and at what time? 😊

Thanks

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Stooky Bill - 09-11-2023

(09-11-2023, 11:22 AM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  Thought so thank you. And Nightlight is downscaled hd with different red slate and an overlay. I assume the overlay us not on the other 8 as they are probably downscaled HD feeds and would need routing differently if a slate appeared on BBC2 for example 

I wonder what will actually happen on 8 Jan, and at what time? 😊
I'd have thought that BBC1 Nightlight and BBC1 HD will be two seperate outputs of the playout suite with just different captions in the playlist at regional news times. They aren't taking the red slate HD version and slapping a different caption on top. 

I imagine the reason it's not on all the SD services is because it would require extra sets of caption generators for each. BBC1 is the most popular channel. 

As for Jan 8th, I'd have thought they'll just disappear from the EPGs at some point, then at some point after they'll remove the services from the transponder and then turn it off at some point after that. 

Incidently the SD services are already gone from HD Freesat boxes

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Jimbo2022 - 11-11-2023

Yes the SD Simulcast ended in HD Freesat on Tuesday afternoon.

You are probably right about the encoders. Too short a time left now - just 8 weeks - so not worth using separate encoders.

If the overlay is done in the same way as DOGs, I don't think it is possible to put it on all channels via one encoder. If it was you would have it on screen in line with BBC1s playout schedule and would not be linked with schedules if other channels

Red slate appeared at 0915 thus morning due to early start, but was not on during Breakfast

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Stooky Bill - 11-11-2023

Every service will have a seperate encoder anyway, but before the video goes into that encoder the caption will need to be added to each video signal. It might be the same caption but of course the keying needs to be done seperately

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Jimbo2022 - 11-11-2023

(11-11-2023, 11:18 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Every service will have a seperate encoder anyway, but before the video goes into that encoder the caption will need to be added to each video signal. It might be the same caption but of course the keying needs to be done seperately

Thanks for that. We will see. I still think there may be a further change of notice on 27 November as they have all changed on six weekly intervals

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Jimbo2022 - 17-11-2023

Just to let you know - no red notice on children in need. I am now even more convinced thus is for the same reason as Strictly does not have it - all T&C's must be displayed? I wonder
Strangely no red slate during regular output today.
(21-11-2023, 02:23 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  Strangely no red slate during regular output today.

And not today either. Wonder why?
Red notice restored during Wednesday afternoon

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Cappuccino - 23-11-2023

Mod edit: I've merged these posts into one as there have been no intermediate responses.

RE: BBC One Nightlight - rkolsen - 25-11-2023

I know the BBC regions that have received the new sets, have been automated with Overdrive - I assume they got a HD switcher (either a virtual panel or a compact one) and Xpression graphics.

Are their broadcasts actually going out in HD on FreeSat/FreeView even if say their cameras aren’t HD or is it still SD until cameras change. Or are these updates with sets complete upgrades to the system?

It’s something I’d call HD light some stations in the US would claim to be HD but they’d go 16:9 widescreen with all graphical elements are HD. Or the opposite in some cases like WCAU in Philly they got an HD set, cameras, but their graphics were SD widescreen.

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Spencer - 25-11-2023

(25-11-2023, 10:27 PM)rkolsen Wrote:  I know the BBC regions that have received the new sets, have been automated with Overdrive - I assume they got a HD switcher (either a virtual panel or a compact one) and Xpression graphics.

Are their broadcasts actually going out in HD on FreeSat/FreeView even if say their cameras aren’t HD or is it still SD until cameras change. Or are these updates with sets complete upgrades to the system?

It’s something I’d call HD light some stations in the US would claim to be HD but they’d go 16:9 widescreen with all graphical elements are HD. Or the opposite in some cases like WCAU in Philly they got an HD set, cameras, but their graphics were SD widescreen.
From what I can gather, the regions with new sets have had new HD cameras installed, but so far, other than Southampton, all of them still have SD galleries. So what goes into the galleries, in terms of camera output, recorded packages, titles and graphics are in HD, but then downscaled to SD, before being upscaled for transmission on BBC One HD, which is now fully regionalised on all platforms.

Newcastle, Plymouth and Salford are already fully native HD, but not with the new set.

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Stooky Bill - 26-11-2023

I don't think that's quite right. The regions with SD galleries do everything in SD, it's then up-converted going out of the building.

They'd struggle to have all those HD sources: HD video servers, graphics engines and cameras, without HD vision mixer and video router. The HD rollout does everything and replaces the gallery system with a more automated 'gallery in a box' solution

The regions vary quite a lot though , almost all got the same system back in the 2000s and some have replaced bits with their own solutions. There will be some bits in some regions that are HD compatible because they've needed replacing and there's no SD only ones available. But they'll be run in SD mode into the new production system because the router is SD. There have been some work around for that so that HD made content, like the old regional documentaries could be sent out in HD, normally my bypassing the router and plugging directly into the outgoing circuits, which have been HD for years