Pres Café
BBC One Nightlight - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Industry News, Technology and Facilities (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: BBC One Nightlight (/showthread.php?tid=286)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Jimbo2022 - 05-12-2023

One minor change I noticed k. Bbc1 nightlight. The evening and weekend red slate now seen from 1900 rather than 1930 on weekdays
(05-12-2023, 08:28 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  One minor change I noticed k. Bbc1 nightlight. The evening and weekend red slate now seen from 1900 rather than 1930 on weekdays

Correction. The red notice is changed at 1715 now. The helpline has always closed at 1700 so makes sense
No red notice on screen during programmes today. Maybe a new one due to appear?

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Jimbo2022 - 08-12-2023

Red slate restored on Friday 8 December. No change to previous notice.

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Jimbo2022 - 12-12-2023

News I got today from the switchover helpline

Between 23 December 2023-1 Jan 2024 inclusive, no red slate will be broadcast during programmes.

Not yet sure what exactly will appear between 2-7 Jan, but we will soon see

Think that is kind of the BBC to keep them off screen over Christmas to ensure everyone can enjoy Christmas programming without any panic.

Well done BBC!

RE: BBC One Nightlight - interestednovice - 12-12-2023

Personally, I think that is a nice idea - and hopefully someone in their family may be feeling generous this Christmas and gift some of those last Freesat SD viewers a T2 HD STB!

I wonder if the rest of the period up until the 9th of January will be a return to as-now, before possibly a cut over to a full-screen caption for a bit after the 9th once the services have closed.

If the BBC only have one caption generator, that won’t be a problem if they link the various SD EPG slots to a single stream with a full-screen generic BBC caption. That way, people who don’t watch BBC One will also notice the caption.

They may decide that’s too much effort though.

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Jimbo2022 - 12-12-2023

(12-12-2023, 07:36 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  Personally, I think that is a nice idea - and hopefully someone in their family may be feeling generous this Christmas and gift some of those last Freesat SD viewers a T2 HD STB!

I wonder if the rest of the period up until the 9th of January will be a return to as-now, before possibly a cut over to a full-screen caption for a bit after the 9th once the services have closed.

If the BBC only have one caption generator, that won’t be a problem if they link the various SD EPG slots to a single stream with a full-screen generic BBC caption. That way, people who don’t watch BBC One will also notice the caption.

They may decide that’s too much effort though.

I agree I think it is a nice gesture.

The current arrangements are

Weekday daytime skate us shown 0600-1715
No slate during pointless
Evening and weekend slate us seen 1800-end of day on weekdays, after breakfast to end if day on weekends not during strictly

We don't yet know what is happening with the rest if the SD feeds on 8 January. It is possible the SUDs could all be pointed to one stream, but BBC have the impression that there would be a 'channel closed' caption on all our SD feeds'.

So there may be 9, there may be 1.

I do remember when discovery had a dispute with Sky a few years ago, a notice was prepared. It sat on 12836H, video Cartier only, with about 10 SUDs pointing to thus one stream.

It was never used because the dispute was settled and the new agreement was made The notice said 'Thus channel cannot currently be broadcast on sky at this time' we ith an apology and pointing out that they hope to resolve the issue as soon as possible

The notice was only actually broadcast fir 24 hours before disappearing.

In the case of the BBC SD feeds, something similar could be done but we will have to see. In their last update on 22 November, they said the notice that goes out from 8 January will be on air until 31 March.

Interesting times ahead.

RE: BBC One Nightlight - interestednovice - 13-12-2023

I imagine something like a generic slate with BBC blocks at the top, large text across the screen that says something such as: “BBC services in Standard Definition on Satellite have now closed. We have upgraded our broadcasts to High Definition, and you now require a HD receiver in order to view them. Broadcasts on other platforms are not affected.”

Then the link to the website & helpline, possibly a set of channel logos at the bottom of the screen.

I didn’t know they’d actually published the March date, but that was pretty much as we’d guessed.

I do wonder if they will close Red Button HD in March too. After forcing everyone to upgrade to a modern receiver, more viewers than ever will be able to access live streams through BBC iPlayer; consequently, there will be little need for RB HD. They may be able to fit in all of their channels on their own transponders by dropping one, through closing RB HD (and they will also still be able to hand back the Nightlight transponder entirely).

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Jimbo2022 - 13-12-2023

You may be right there

The notice on screen now is dark grey not maroon any more. It's the same background used for generic notices rather than linking to any specific channel.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6028689/uploads/editor/fl/3t7qlbncyeom.png 

https://us.v-cdn.net/6028689/uploads/editor/gm/2yw3ud8s2no2.png 

RE: BBC One Nightlight - interestednovice - 13-12-2023

It looks as though they may be readying things behind the scenes, so it’s easy to call up the new notice in January.

Good spot!

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Pete - 17-12-2023

I think turning it off over Christmas is a bad idea actually. If someone is still stubborn enough to be ignoring it the only time they might have visitors technically competent to understand the threat and resolution may be christmas. So if anything I'd be increasing the intensity.

Anyhow if someone can let me know when something interesting happens regards this service? The minutiae of the caption's appearances has major rota thread vibes.

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Stooky Bill - 18-12-2023

I'm not sure they'll be able to broadcast just captions for a while, don't the two platforms have rules about doing that? BBC3 had to have some programming on after it closed down.