Pres Café
BBC One Nightlight - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Industry News, Technology and Facilities (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: BBC One Nightlight (/showthread.php?tid=286)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: BBC One Nightlight - i.h - 09-01-2024

there's also no particular historic significance to this event in the way that the analogue switch off had been - and even back then, unless you lived in London, Scotland/Wales or particularly in NI then there was no ceremony to it, no announcement or testcard or anything else. Maybe Arqiva were generous enough to shutdown once the current programme had ended, but not necessarily.

After the regions went HD then you'd have to try quite hard to seek out the SD version anyway, which is probably why the BBC claimed they had an even lower response to the warning messages than they had expected.

Maybe they should do something if Freeview ever goes exclusively to DVB-T2, as IIRC the UK was the first in the world to launch DVB-T?

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Mike - 09-01-2024

(09-01-2024, 01:32 PM)i.h Wrote:  there's also no particular historic significance to this event in the way that the analogue switch off had been - and even back then, unless you lived in London, Scotland/Wales or particularly in NI then there was no ceremony to it, no announcement or testcard or anything else. Maybe Arqiva were generous enough to shutdown once the current programme had ended, but not necessarily.

They did announce that DSO was taking place in the regions other than the ones mentioned though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI4-1zEMDmA 

But it wasn't pomp or ceremony, the symbol with an announcement and then some way through the late film it cut off air.

Unconnected to this thread, but there's a linked clip of C4 Analogue coming off air from Sutton Coldfield there, and just before it does there's a jump - is this the transmitter going to RBS mode before finally being switched off a second later?

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Nick Harvey - 09-01-2024

(09-01-2024, 10:58 AM)Spencer Wrote:  One issue I’ve noticed is that, for some reason, the Sky Go app still defaults to having SD channel’s occupying 101 to 105.
The same applies with the Sky TV Guide.

https://www.sky.com/tv-guide/ 

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Spencer - 09-01-2024

(09-01-2024, 01:59 PM)Nick Harvey Wrote:  The same applies with the Sky TV Guide.

https://www.sky.com/tv-guide/ 

Maybe it’s because HD is still a paid for add-on, and so until this ceases to be the case, SD remains the default service. It seems a bit of a daft situation in 2024 though.

Edit: Ignore me - of course the HD channels above 105 are all there, so it can’t be that.

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Stooky Bill - 09-01-2024

(09-01-2024, 01:32 PM)i.h Wrote:  Maybe they should do something if Freeview ever goes exclusively to DVB-T2, as IIRC the UK was the first in the world to launch DVB-T?
That's going to be the same situation as yesterday. Analogue to digital was a massive significant shift and something the general viewing public can understand and embrace. A change in modulation standards isn't.

If a whole platform is switched off, like terrestrial or satellite then that will be worth marking

RE: BBC One Nightlight - i.h - 09-01-2024

(09-01-2024, 04:00 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  That's going to be the same situation as yesterday. Analogue to digital was a massive significant shift and something the general viewing public can understand and embrace. A change in modulation standards isn't.

If a whole platform is switched off, like terrestrial or satellite then that will be worth marking

Not quite. If you use Freeview, you are more likely to see/use the SD channels since they appear first in the TV guide (Freeview Play / CLM excepted) even if you have an HD TV. You may also be using an older TV that can accept HD but is not DVB-T2 capable, which is presumably why there's no real appetite to switch despite the obvious efficiency gains.

Yesterday was a much more niche event because you would have needed to still use a Sky SD box (which have all either died from old age or are so unusably slow, it would be surprising if anyone still did) or one of the handful of Freesat SD boxes that quickly disappeared from sale.

Not that I am suggesting some big Northern Ireland style send-off here!

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Stooky Bill - 10-01-2024

(09-01-2024, 04:33 PM)i.h Wrote:  Not quite. If you use Freeview, you are more likely to see/use the SD channels since they appear first in the TV guide (Freeview Play / CLM excepted) even if you have an HD TV. You may also be using an older TV that can accept HD but is not DVB-T2 capable, which is presumably why there's no real appetite to switch despite the obvious efficiency gains.

Yesterday was a much more niche event because you would have needed to still use a Sky SD box (which have all either died from old age or are so unusably slow, it would be surprising if anyone still did) or one of the handful of Freesat SD boxes that quickly disappeared from sale.

Not that I am suggesting some big Northern Ireland style send-off here!
Transitions from DVB-S to DVB-S2 and DVB-T to DVB-T2 are both really the same thing, the audience don't really understand or care about the difference.

The big difference between the two platforms is the number of receivers. Satellite has an upgrade path - Sky have encouraged their subscribers to upgrade and of course they normally don't own the boxes. DTT is different, there's a lot of early receivers knocking around, particularly ones integrated into tellies... that's something that never caught on with satellite.

When it finally comes it'll be more of a challenge to switch over but there will be just as little of a fuss when the switch off happens - it's a technical change rather than something actually closing.

See also DAB to DAB+

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Stuart - 10-01-2024

(09-01-2024, 02:29 PM)Spencer Wrote:  Maybe it’s because HD is still a paid for add-on, and so until this ceases to be the case, SD remains the default service. It seems a bit of a daft situation in 2024 though.

Edit: Ignore me - of course the HD channels above 105 are all there, so it can’t be that.
The ITV3/ITV4 HD versions have moved on the on-line Sky Guide. They haven't been behind a pay wall for quite some time.

ITV2 SD still shows as the default, as does C4/C5. It's all a bit of a mess.

The EPG on the STB shows everything in the right place, so it's a bit odd they can't replicate it automatically for the on-line Sky Guide.

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Jimbo2022 - 10-01-2024

(10-01-2024, 04:20 PM)Stuart Wrote:  The ITV3/ITV4 HD versions have moved on the on-line Sky Guide. They haven't been behind a pay wall for quite some time.

ITV2 SD still shows as the default, as does C4/C5. It's all a bit of a mess.

The EPG on the STB shows everything in the right place, so it's a bit odd they can't replicate it automatically for the on-line Sky Guide.

It will be because there is no smart swapping on utv 4(4. There is on the ones on the wrong place.

Btw radios on 10.773H no longer on 10.893h

RE: BBC One Nightlight - Jimbo2022 - 11-01-2024

Radios on 10.788V no longer duplicated on 10.788V now. So 8 radio stations now migrated.