Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - eyeTV - 12-06-2023

Ofcom to conduct 'research' into sitting politicians presenting current affairs programming. 

https://twitter.com/Ofcom/status/1668245646187413504?s=20 

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 12-06-2023

I believe if you are a sitting MP or peer, you shouldn't have the right to have a permanent TV or radio show, where you are getting paid a large salary to voice your opinions, whilst at the same time you are supposed to be serving us, as our member of parliament.

Totally unfair - maybe if they refused and/or only allowed "occasional appearances" as one media critic said to me, then that might be a compromise

RE: GB News - i.h - 12-06-2023

Certainly not sure why they get paid appearance fees - even for stuff like HIGNFY. If you're clearly there because you are an politician, then you should get no more than travel and accommodation expenses where applicable.

Wasn't / isn't there a rule that people appearing in a programme cannot also appear on ads around that programme? In the same vein, it seems reasonable that sitting politicians should not present on news stations and certainly not on anything with a political bent, such as the time two Tory MPs decided to interview the Tory PM about the budget.

Various GB News presenters have been repeatedly tweeting "what about LBC", but failing to understand the difference - key being that LBC actually tries to have a range of views and politicians, rather than GB News' approach of seemingly hiring the entire Tory back bench

RE: GB News - London Lite - 12-06-2023

You can see why broadcasters are increasing their use of serving politicians as presenters as they can be a ratings draw, however I do have concerns that using them as presenters rather than guests can skew the perception of a media outlet or perceived as propaganda especially if hiring politicians who are part of the governing party.

I'd have no issue with an MP presenting a guest show once every few months, but not a daily or weekly show regardless of their political orientation.

So I'd propose that a broadcaster can hire an MP for no more than once every 3-6 months as a presenter, but they can go on shows without a limit as contributing guests where a mix of views have to be aired to ensure viewers have more than an echo chamber viewpoint.

RE: GB News - KrazyKei - 12-06-2023

No politician should be presenting anything whether it is news, entertainment etc. If they are no longer politicians, then that is a different story. Take Nadine Dorries for example, she is no longer a politician so now I see no reason why she shouldn't present her programme on TalkTV. As for Jacob Rees-Mogg, Esther McVey and Phillip Davies, they should either be politicians or presenters. They shouldn't have the penny and the bun.

RE: GB News - TMD_24 - 12-06-2023

Given Lawrence Fox is standing to be an MP, surely he can't be continuing his Friday show during the election period?

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 12-06-2023

Advertising must be really in a drought state for GB News, as I see they are now advertising Jim Davidson's streaming service platform - words fail me!

Jim of course is a regular on GB News, so a nice deal for him to attract the fan base he would pull in.

RE: GB News - KrazyKei - 12-06-2023

(12-06-2023, 08:26 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  Given Lawrence Fox is standing to be an MP, surely he can't be continuing his Friday show during the election period?

I absolutely agree that he shouldn't continue to present on GB News should he somehow be elected to Boris' now former constituency. Otherwise, he should continue to be on GB News.

RE: GB News - Brekkie - 13-06-2023

(12-06-2023, 05:55 PM)London Lite Wrote:  You can see why broadcasters are increasing their use of serving politicians as presenters as they can be a ratings draw, however I do have concerns that using them as presenters rather than guests can skew the perception of a media outlet or perceived as propaganda especially if hiring politicians who are part of the governing party.

I'd have no issue with an MP presenting a guest show once every few months, but not a daily or weekly show regardless of their political orientation.   

So I'd propose that a broadcaster can hire an MP for no more than once every 3-6 months as a presenter, but they can go on shows without a limit as contributing guests where a mix of views have to be aired to ensure viewers have more than an echo chamber viewpoint.

Yes - that's the issue.  There may be situations where it is acceptable for an MP to guest host content but as often happens a few push the rules far too much which may now result in a complete ban for all.

RE: GB News - Jon - 13-06-2023

(12-06-2023, 10:37 PM)KrazyKei Wrote:  I absolutely agree that he shouldn't continue to present on GB News should he somehow be elected to Boris' now former constituency. Otherwise, he should continue to be on GB News.
You’ve missed the point, the election rules are very strict about this kind of thing and I’d have thought they’d prevent him from presenting during the campaign. Nothing to stop him presenting once he was elected, which of course he won’t be. Which is TMD’s point in that post which is different from your view that serving politicians shouldn’t ever be to be presenters.