Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - Keith - 13-06-2023

(12-06-2023, 10:37 PM)KrazyKei Wrote:  I absolutely agree that he shouldn't continue to present on GB News should he somehow be elected to Boris' now former constituency. Otherwise, he should continue to be on GB News.
I'd have thought once the candidate nominations close until the bi-election polling has closed it would be at best problematic for Laurence Fox to present on GB News. I believe during this period usually if one candidate standing is mentioned then all other candidates have to be mentioned, or if they didn't have a radio simulcast they could alternatively be displayed/listed on screen.

I'd have thought if Laurence Fox was presenting during this period it could be seen as undue prominence towards one candidate. He may still be able to appear as a guest on other GB News programmes though, without GB News getting into trouble.

RE: GB News - TVViewer256 - 13-06-2023

(13-06-2023, 03:34 PM)Keith Wrote:  I'd have thought once the candidate nominations close until the bi-election polling has closed it would be at best problematic for Laurence Fox to present on GB News.  I believe during this period usually if one candidate standing is mentioned then all other candidates have to be mentioned, or if they didn't have a radio simulcast they could alternatively be displayed/listed on screen.

I'd have thought if Laurence Fox was presenting during this period it could be seen as undue prominence towards one candidate.  He may still be able to appear as a guest on other GB News programmes though, without GB News getting into trouble.
They’re very strict about this too. I think a channel (may have been GB News) got picked up on at one stage for displaying all the candidate names on the screen but not reading all of them out on the radio simulcast.

RE: GB News - strollfan - 13-06-2023

(13-06-2023, 03:34 PM)Keith Wrote:  I'd have thought once the candidate nominations close until the bi-election polling has closed it would be at best problematic for Laurence Fox to present on GB News.  I believe during this period usually if one candidate standing is mentioned then all other candidates have to be mentioned, or if they didn't have a radio simulcast they could alternatively be displayed/listed on screen.

I'd have thought if Laurence Fox was presenting during this period it could be seen as undue prominence towards one candidate.  He may still be able to appear as a guest on other GB News programmes though, without GB News getting into trouble.
It is restricted for candidates in any election of any scale to present during an election period - local radio stations have even gotten in trouble for councillors continuing to host things as minor as gardening programmes once purdah begins. Ofcom take it very seriously.

RE: GB News - Scrotnig - 13-06-2023

GB News is two years old….time flies!

RE: GB News - London Lite - 13-06-2023

(13-06-2023, 05:16 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  GB News is two years old….time flies!

Two years on, GBN from a production and presentation viewpoint is much better than it was on Day 1 and for most of the first couple of months of the channel. You can watch the output and not get a technical issue every 5 mins.

It seems to have started turning itself editorially around once Farage joined. Regardless of his political views, he's a natural broadcaster and his Talking Pints feature is easily one of the best interview features on the channel.

GB News also started the trend for the opinion channels acquiring political talent for prime-time shows which despite huge sums of money being paid is still cheaper than acquiring journalists or experienced presenters for expressing their viewpoint editorially. Whether that trend continues after an Ofcom consultation has to be seen, but it'd be a blow for GBN and Talk TV if they have to axe their political talent as presenters.

Mark Steyn was a huge mistake IMHO, but it's given them a lesson on just how much crankery they can broadcast without an Ofcom reprimand.

There are still fringe shows that for me personally are completely bonkers, such as Neil Oliver, Calvin Robinson and Dan Wootton, but the latter has found his niche on GBN with a culture wars/entertainment hybrid format.

On the other hand, there's been a successful boycott of advertisers and they're reliant on ideological backers to keep it going which may keep it going longer than Talk TV when Murdoch finally gives up on it.

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 13-06-2023

You only have to look at a typical ad break on GB News and see how awful their ad revenue must be from commercials, when you are relying on Welsh companies and Cash for Gold companies advertising on your channel.

I do wonder how much money they generate from the ad revenue?

RE: GB News - derek500 - 13-06-2023

Latest BARB figures out and GB News' reach in May was 3.395m, an all time high. That's 5.33% of those who watched TV in May.

In May, 2022 the figures were 2.189m, 3.45%.

Both Sky News and TalkTV have fallen year on year.

RE: GB News - TheJarv - 13-06-2023

I hope GB News are confident of their sources in saying the background of the arrested person in Nottingham

RE: GB News - TVViewer256 - 14-06-2023

(13-06-2023, 09:14 PM)TheJarv Wrote:  I hope GB News are confident of their sources in saying the background of the arrested person in Nottingham
They seem very confident. Having Mark White on board is certainly a massive asset to the channel and I doubt he'd report it if he wasn't a hundred percent trusting in his source.

RE: GB News - derek500 - 14-06-2023

I notice they're now doing a 10 second weather update in the headlines, presented from the Met Office.